Anyone have luck buying a 5S in store?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've tried the method of waiting outside before the store opens with three different Apple Stores in LA and none of them have had any full price (I need unlocked) 64Gb gold iPhone 5S phones. I check the Apple site every couple of hours to no avail. I can find plenty of 16 and 32 Gb grey phones and a couple of 16Gb gold ones in LA, but I want the 64Gb version.

If I can't get one before I head back to the UK at the end of the month, I shall leave it. The price for the 64Gb unlocked in the UK is the equivalent of $1132. Bonkers.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've tried the method of waiting outside before the store opens with three different Apple Stores in LA and none of them have had any full price (I need unlocked) 64Gb gold iPhone 5S phones. I check the Apple site every couple of hours to no avail. I can find plenty of 16 and 32 Gb grey phones and a couple of 16Gb gold ones in LA, but I want the 64Gb version.

If I can't get one before I head back to the UK at the end of the month, I shall leave it. The price for the 64Gb unlocked in the UK is the equivalent of $1132. Bonkers.

If I'm not mistaken the Verizon model should work in the UK. I bought my Gold 64GB from Best Buy and it works perfectly with my daughters T-Mobile sim & my friend's AT&T sim

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken the Verizon model should work in the UK. I bought my Gold 64GB from Best Buy and it works perfectly with my daughters T-Mobile sim & my friend's AT&T sim

Thanks. I'll check out a Verizon one in store and see if it takes my AT&T sim as my UK sim is a micro rather than nano sim.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm in a bit of a pickle. Today I noticed 16gb golds pop up in my area I have a 64gb gold on order through apple.com. So here is the pickle if 64gb phones pop up I want to cancel my online order and place an in store pick up order instead. Do you guys think I'll still get upgrade pricing? I don't want to cancel my online order until I see those 64gb phones appear as avail for in store. I'm getting impatient and just want that gold phone! I don't wanna screw myself over and end up waiting longer.

Am I being ridiculous should I just wait for my original order? It's ok to say so.

On Order: 64gb GOLD 5s AT&T
Ordered: 11:04 am est 9/20
Order Status: processing...est shipping Oct 24-28 delivery by Nov 1
Mental Status: questionable...the longer I wait the more crazed I become about checking my order status.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm in a bit of a pickle. Today I noticed 16gb golds pop up in my area I have a 64gb gold on order through apple.com. So here is the pickle if 64gb phones pop up I want to cancel my online order and place an in store pick up order instead. Do you guys think I'll still get upgrade pricing? I don't want to cancel my online order until I see those 64gb phones appear as avail for in store. I'm getting impatient and just want that gold phone! I don't wanna screw myself over and end up waiting longer.

Am I being ridiculous should I just wait for my original order? It's ok to say so.

Mental Status: questionable...the longer I wait the more crazed I become about checking my order status.

Call them and ask what options u got. I think you can cancel. Don't take my word for it though.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Xx BEN xX

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I had a friend that works at the local cell shop put a 64 gig space grey aside for me when they came in. Having her work there saves me hassle every release

Sent from my iPhone 5s

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

As far as I know, you won't be able to get upgrade pricing while you already have an upgrade device on order. You will need to cancel your order, and call AT&T customer service to have them reverse your upgrade and reinstate your upgrade eligibility. I was told it can take up to three days, but if the customer service rep pushes it through, it can be done in one day.

I used my upgrade to buy an iPhone 5 shortly after the 5S/5C release, since they dropped $100 in price, and the 5S was pretty hard to get. This was on September 29th. Literally the next day, Apple started taking orders for in-store pickup... and I noticed I could find 5Ss at Apple stores all around me. So, I returned my iPhone 5 to Best Buy that day (Sept 30th) and jumped on the phone to AT&T and after 45 minutes of the rep talking to various people, she got my upgrade eligibility reinstated by dinner time. I spent some time off and on that night, and the following morning checking availability, and successfully found and ordered my 5S Oct 1st for in-store pickup at an Apple store about 30 miles from me, at 2-year upgrade pricing.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Picked up a 32GB silver 5s for my wife at Best Buy. I took advantage of a $100 trade-in for an old Android that was close to worthless.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, you won't be able to get upgrade pricing while you already have an upgrade device on order. You will need to cancel your order, and call AT&T customer service to have them reverse your upgrade and reinstate your upgrade eligibility. I was told it can take up to three days, but if the customer service rep pushes it through, it can be done in one day.

I used my upgrade to buy an iPhone 5 shortly after the 5S/5C release, since they dropped $100 in price, and the 5S was pretty hard to get. This was on September 29th. Literally the next day, Apple started taking orders for in-store pickup... and I noticed I could find 5Ss at Apple stores all around me. So, I returned my iPhone 5 to Best Buy that day (Sept 30th) and jumped on the phone to AT&T and after 45 minutes of the rep talking to various people, she got my upgrade eligibility reinstated by dinner time. I spent some time off and on that night, and the following morning checking availability, and successfully found and ordered my 5S Oct 1st for in-store pickup at an Apple store about 30 miles from me, at 2-year upgrade pricing.

Thanks! Most helpful!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon one will work on gsm (3G) with any carrier. The main question is the LTE bands. You need to compare the LTE bands on the phone to the LTE bands for the UK and your carrier.

Many thanks. As far as I can tell from the Apple website, the USA version on AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile has way more LTE bands than the UK version, including all the bands the UK uses apart from one band that the UK model has that the USA version doesn't. Fortunately, that is specific to one carrier in the UK that I don't use and have no intention of using, so everything should be golden.

I tried a Best Buy in Sherman Oaks today and they didn't have any. Still no Gold 64Gb versions anywhere. Oh well. If I can't get one before I head back to the UK at the end of the month then I shan't bother until I come back out to LA in the new year. I just refuse to pay the equivalent of $1132 for the 64Gb version from the UK.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks. As far as I can tell from the Apple website, the USA version on AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile has way more LTE bands than the UK version, including all the bands the UK uses apart from one band that the UK model has that the USA version doesn't. Fortunately, that is specific to one carrier in the UK that I don't use and have no intention of using, so everything should be golden.

I tried a Best Buy in Sherman Oaks today and they didn't have any. Still no Gold 64Gb versions anywhere. Oh well. If I can't get one before I head back to the UK at the end of the month then I shan't bother until I come back out to LA in the new year. I just refuse to pay the equivalent of $1132 for the 64Gb version from the UK.

Keep checking that site someone made that compiles the in the store pick up options. It literally changes multiple times a day. I ordered my 64gb gold AT&T and 16 gb gold AT&T phones on launch day and was still was waiting. Last night around 2 am I checked that site and saw 3 stores that had 16gb phones. Again I checked in the morning and same story. I checked again today around 630 and only 1 store in my area had 64gb gold phones. I canceled my online order and placed an in store pick up order and then 30 minutes later I convinced my mom to do the same. Some other stores had cropped up that we're closer that had 16gb phones but she decided to go ahead and get a 64gb. Keep at it. After today I'm convinced in store is the way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Call them and ask what options u got. I think you can cancel. Don't take my word for it though.

I had 2 orders waiting I canceled one and while I was on hold with AT&T my upgrade eligibility reappeared that was about 5 minutes after I canceled online...it actually coincided with when I received my cancellation email from apple. After I successfully canceled and placed my in store order I repeated the process with my 2nd order!

I was very worried that it would take the 24 hrs or require a call to AT&T but it all worked out just fine and with in minutes.

igeekgurl

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Keep checking that site someone made that compiles the in the store pick up options. It literally changes multiple times a day. I ordered my 64gb gold AT&T and 16 gb gold AT&T phones on launch day and was still was waiting. Last night around 2 am I checked that site and saw 3 stores that had 16gb phones. Again I checked in the morning and same story. I checked again today around 630 and only 1 store in my area had 64gb gold phones. I canceled my online order and placed an in store pick up order and then 30 minutes later I convinced my mom to do the same. Some other stores had cropped up that we're closer that had 16gb phones but she decided to go ahead and get a 64gb. Keep at it. After today I'm convinced in store is the way to go!

Had same experience! 64GB golds are popping up more now and some still available in northeast...new app popped up today for availability checks too iPhone Check

Found updates during these times:
2:00-2:15pm EST
6:00-6:30pm EST
2:00-2:30am EST

Good luck to all ;)

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Had a friend come over last night, he had a 5s 64GB. Said he walked into our local AT&T store, they had gotten in 10 silver/white. He picked up one for him & his wife. So they are starting to show up looking like.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I can't get one anywhere near me.....

Keep checking website for availability like every minute thru out the whole day n night. Any chance u get practically.

Have Apple store app installed it makes buying a little quicker.

Call target walmart radio shack best buy n ur carrier n ask n see if any of them can put u on a wait list

Good luck!

Ps which color carrier n size?

stonerman33

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Girlfriend and I decided we wanted the 5s the week after release, closest apple store is almost 3hrs away. Checked the verizon store and got a smile and "sorry." Figured we'd try best buy on the way home and found a pair of 32gb in gray and silver and picked them up. I gave up my unlimited data, but verizon had just set up a 6gb plan for the $30 price to entice us grandfathered folk out of our data and I took the bait with no regrets.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox