My brother had an iP4 and he's not the one to stay in line/camp for days or preorder...but then I arrived and told him it was time to upgrade but it wasn't likely since the 5s were scarce. Long story short we went to the mall and he just asked in the apple store about it, they said they had them all and 10 mins later he walked out with his shiny 16GB AT&T space grey. He's one lucky guy!
    10-15-2013 02:23 PM
    I guess we have a different definition of "easier"...I found it easier to just go to the store early enough to get the one I wanted on the day I wanted it. People who have used your method have found themselves stuck in a loop of waiting and backorder fulfillment...when they could have just gone to the store and bought one without going through all of that.

Can you get one quickly with online ordering with store pick up? Maybe.

Can you get one quickly by going to the store early and waiting? Definitely.

You're basing your logic on an online stock finder that isn't even close to fully accurate. You're also having to check on this stuff...my method is simple, go to the store, wait for it to open, get an iPhone. Doesn't get any easier than that, lol.
    Come on Sean, just because you lucked out doesn't mean everyone does. No need to continue to remind us of it. Not many people are gonna be living near an apple store to afford to do this more than once or twice. Early and waiting doesn't mean squat. People check online and see it and buy it quicker than waiting inline. Also if space grey or silver then its possible but gold 16gb for att is by far the most difficult at least in my area(ma). I've been told by the apple store sales people are turning people away because they didn't have any 5s despite the waiting in line.

Anyways for anyone looking to buy one, the best method is to check the website obsessively. You can buy it before the apple store employees even know if they have one. Yup it's even faster than people waiting in line. I know because of how I bought mine.

Op. you wanted gold but settled with grey? You may regret this later if you truly wanted gold.

Sent from my GOLD 5s using Tapatalk HD
    10-15-2013 03:15 PM
    I guess we have a different definition of "easier"...I found it easier to just go to the store early enough to get the one I wanted on the day I wanted it. People who have used your method have found themselves stuck in a loop of waiting and backorder fulfillment...when they could have just gone to the store and bought one without going through all of that.

Can you get one quickly with online ordering with store pick up? Maybe.

Can you get one quickly by going to the store early and waiting? Definitely.

You're basing your logic on an online stock finder that isn't even close to fully accurate. You're also having to check on this stuff...my method is simple, go to the store, wait for it to open, get an iPhone. Doesn't get any easier than that, lol.
    I've been using the Apple Store main website. Not a 3rd party stock finder. The Apple store's website availability is pretty accurate as far as I know... and there is no backorder fulfillment on in-store pickup. If it is available for in store pickup, it is available. Pay for it, and it is yours. You just have to go pick it up. If it's not available for in-store pickup, the website won't even let you complete the order.

and while waiting outside a store for it to open might be easy for some, I find checking the Apple store website or app whenever I have a free couple minutes throughout the day to be far less hassle. That way, I just walk in the store, sign my signature on their pad, and walk out. No lines or waiting.

But like you said, I'm sure we all have different definitions of easy.
    10-15-2013 04:02 PM
    Come on Sean, just because you lucked out doesn't mean everyone does. No need to continue to remind us of it. Not many people are gonna be living near an apple store to afford to do this more than once or twice. Early and waiting doesn't mean squat. People check online and see it and buy it quicker than waiting inline. Also if space grey or silver then its possible but gold 16gb for att is by far the most difficult at least in my area(ma). I've been told by the apple store sales people are turning people away because they didn't have any 5s despite the waiting in line.

Anyways for anyone looking to buy one, the best method is to check the website obsessively. You can buy it before the apple store employees even know if they have one. Yup it's even faster than people waiting in line. I know because of how I bought mine.

Op. you wanted gold but settled with grey? You may regret this later if you truly wanted gold.

Sent from my GOLD 5s using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not going by my situation. I'm going by REGULAR reports on the multitude of websites and forums I check nearly daily (reddit included, which is a pretty good conglomerate of regional reports across the country, and even a sprinkle of international. You say "not many", but I'm reading about A LOT of people just going to the Apple store, waiting until they open and getting their choice of color (with Gold being particularly hard to find, but that is a given, and we're just generally talking about 5S's here, not specific colors). Early and waiting apparently means a heck of a lot more than "squat" for all the people who have scored an iPhone by simply doing such, instead of waiting for online ordering or reading stock reporters online.

I'm not going to spend the time to take a poll, but my guess is that a majority of the people who regular post on our website are also within a reasonable distance to an Apple store to try my method out without much investment at all. 30 miles is NOTHING...but my guess is we have a pretty substantial amount of people here who live even closer than that to an Apple store.

I don't care if you're reminded of my experience...the only thing "lucky" about my experience was the fact that I found two GOLD iPhone's...no doubt about that, pure luck. But there were plenty of other iPhones ready, and I feel that Atlanta's market is reflective of most major metropolitan markets. I have a friend in Boston who has bought about 15 iPhone's and resold them...a few of them being gold. Sister lives in San Fran, she walked in on release day and got hers as did her boyfriend a few days later. This isn't an isolated theory bud, this is just the way it is.
    10-15-2013 04:49 PM
    case in point..... both methods are good. No one gives a **** which is considered easier.
    anon4757448 likes this.
    10-15-2013 04:53 PM
    Well what'dya know. I just scored a Gold iPhone 32GB AT&T for in-store pickup from the same Apple Store I picked up a 32 in Space Gray. Just happened to check the site.

Just check every so often when you get a chance, people. You'll score something.
    jmr1015 and nikkisharif like this.
    10-15-2013 07:18 PM
    Nothing, nada, niente, zip......
    igeekgurl likes this.
    10-16-2013 07:56 AM
    Nothing, nada, niente, zip......
    What's wrong????
    10-16-2013 08:10 AM
    Wow! It's amazing the wait times people are having for the 5s. Luckily I got my gold and silver the Tuesday after they went on sale. It was worth getting up at 3am and ordering online from Verizon. Best of luck to you all in getting your phones ASAP.
    10-16-2013 08:24 AM
    Walked Into The Local BB & Found A Land Of Gold 5S'.... Bet They Won't Last Long... Happy To Have My New 32g One...

& Now Proud Owner Of A Gold iPhone 5S 32gb, iPhone 4, iPad 3 32gb, iPad Mini LTE 32gb, Apple TV3 x2..... No Better Ecosystem... 😜

P.s... & Waiting 4 A 32g i5S In Gold.... Becuz I'm Sassy... LoL
    10-16-2013 12:30 PM
    I've tried the method of waiting outside before the store opens with three different Apple Stores in LA and none of them have had any full price (I need unlocked) 64Gb gold iPhone 5S phones. I check the Apple site every couple of hours to no avail. I can find plenty of 16 and 32 Gb grey phones and a couple of 16Gb gold ones in LA, but I want the 64Gb version.

If I can't get one before I head back to the UK at the end of the month, I shall leave it. The price for the 64Gb unlocked in the UK is the equivalent of $1132. Bonkers.
    10-16-2013 08:09 PM
    I've tried the method of waiting outside before the store opens with three different Apple Stores in LA and none of them have had any full price (I need unlocked) 64Gb gold iPhone 5S phones. I check the Apple site every couple of hours to no avail. I can find plenty of 16 and 32 Gb grey phones and a couple of 16Gb gold ones in LA, but I want the 64Gb version.

If I can't get one before I head back to the UK at the end of the month, I shall leave it. The price for the 64Gb unlocked in the UK is the equivalent of $1132. Bonkers.
    If I'm not mistaken the Verizon model should work in the UK. I bought my Gold 64GB from Best Buy and it works perfectly with my daughters T-Mobile sim & my friend's AT&T sim
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    10-16-2013 11:06 PM
    If I'm not mistaken the Verizon model should work in the UK. I bought my Gold 64GB from Best Buy and it works perfectly with my daughters T-Mobile sim & my friend's AT&T sim
    Thanks. I'll check out a Verizon one in store and see if it takes my AT&T sim as my UK sim is a micro rather than nano sim.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-17-2013 02:44 AM
    Thanks. I'll check out a Verizon one in store and see if it takes my AT&T sim as my UK sim is a micro rather than nano sim.
    The Verizon one will work on gsm (3G) with any carrier. The main question is the LTE bands. You need to compare the LTE bands on the phone to the LTE bands for the UK and your carrier.
    10-17-2013 08:03 AM
    I'm in a bit of a pickle. Today I noticed 16gb golds pop up in my area I have a 64gb gold on order through apple.com. So here is the pickle if 64gb phones pop up I want to cancel my online order and place an in store pick up order instead. Do you guys think I'll still get upgrade pricing? I don't want to cancel my online order until I see those 64gb phones appear as avail for in store. I'm getting impatient and just want that gold phone! I don't wanna screw myself over and end up waiting longer.

Am I being ridiculous should I just wait for my original order? It's ok to say so.

On Order: 64gb GOLD 5s AT&T
    Ordered: 11:04 am est 9/20
    Order Status: processing...est shipping Oct 24-28 delivery by Nov 1
    Mental Status: questionable...the longer I wait the more crazed I become about checking my order status.
    Rocket_Girl likes this.
    10-17-2013 10:33 PM
    I'm in a bit of a pickle. Today I noticed 16gb golds pop up in my area I have a 64gb gold on order through apple.com. So here is the pickle if 64gb phones pop up I want to cancel my online order and place an in store pick up order instead. Do you guys think I'll still get upgrade pricing? I don't want to cancel my online order until I see those 64gb phones appear as avail for in store. I'm getting impatient and just want that gold phone! I don't wanna screw myself over and end up waiting longer.

Am I being ridiculous should I just wait for my original order? It's ok to say so.

Mental Status: questionable...the longer I wait the more crazed I become about checking my order status.
    Call them and ask what options u got. I think you can cancel. Don't take my word for it though.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-17-2013 11:11 PM
    Picked up a 64GB in black at an AT&T store today. They had just received a shipment today.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-17-2013 11:24 PM
    I had a friend that works at the local cell shop put a 64 gig space grey aside for me when they came in. Having her work there saves me hassle every release

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-18-2013 12:04 AM

As far as I know, you won't be able to get upgrade pricing while you already have an upgrade device on order. You will need to cancel your order, and call AT&T customer service to have them reverse your upgrade and reinstate your upgrade eligibility. I was told it can take up to three days, but if the customer service rep pushes it through, it can be done in one day.

I used my upgrade to buy an iPhone 5 shortly after the 5S/5C release, since they dropped $100 in price, and the 5S was pretty hard to get. This was on September 29th. Literally the next day, Apple started taking orders for in-store pickup... and I noticed I could find 5Ss at Apple stores all around me. So, I returned my iPhone 5 to Best Buy that day (Sept 30th) and jumped on the phone to AT&T and after 45 minutes of the rep talking to various people, she got my upgrade eligibility reinstated by dinner time. I spent some time off and on that night, and the following morning checking availability, and successfully found and ordered my 5S Oct 1st for in-store pickup at an Apple store about 30 miles from me, at 2-year upgrade pricing.
    sunnysideup22125 likes this.
    10-18-2013 12:25 AM
    Picked up a 32GB silver 5s for my wife at Best Buy. I took advantage of a $100 trade-in for an old Android that was close to worthless.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-18-2013 12:31 AM
    The Verizon one will work on gsm (3G) with any carrier. The main question is the LTE bands. You need to compare the LTE bands on the phone to the LTE bands for the UK and your carrier.
    Mine works with LTE on T-mobile and AT&T
    10-18-2013 01:15 AM
    As far as I know, you won't be able to get upgrade pricing while you already have an upgrade device on order. You will need to cancel your order, and call AT&T customer service to have them reverse your upgrade and reinstate your upgrade eligibility. I was told it can take up to three days, but if the customer service rep pushes it through, it can be done in one day.

I used my upgrade to buy an iPhone 5 shortly after the 5S/5C release, since they dropped $100 in price, and the 5S was pretty hard to get. This was on September 29th. Literally the next day, Apple started taking orders for in-store pickup... and I noticed I could find 5Ss at Apple stores all around me. So, I returned my iPhone 5 to Best Buy that day (Sept 30th) and jumped on the phone to AT&T and after 45 minutes of the rep talking to various people, she got my upgrade eligibility reinstated by dinner time. I spent some time off and on that night, and the following morning checking availability, and successfully found and ordered my 5S Oct 1st for in-store pickup at an Apple store about 30 miles from me, at 2-year upgrade pricing.
    Thanks! Most helpful!

10-18-2013 01:44 AM
    Many thanks. As far as I can tell from the Apple website, the USA version on AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile has way more LTE bands than the UK version, including all the bands the UK uses apart from one band that the UK model has that the USA version doesn't. Fortunately, that is specific to one carrier in the UK that I don't use and have no intention of using, so everything should be golden.

I tried a Best Buy in Sherman Oaks today and they didn't have any. Still no Gold 64Gb versions anywhere. Oh well. If I can't get one before I head back to the UK at the end of the month then I shan't bother until I come back out to LA in the new year. I just refuse to pay the equivalent of $1132 for the 64Gb version from the UK.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-18-2013 09:34 PM
    Many thanks. As far as I can tell from the Apple website, the USA version on AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile has way more LTE bands than the UK version, including all the bands the UK uses apart from one band that the UK model has that the USA version doesn't. Fortunately, that is specific to one carrier in the UK that I don't use and have no intention of using, so everything should be golden.

I tried a Best Buy in Sherman Oaks today and they didn't have any. Still no Gold 64Gb versions anywhere. Oh well. If I can't get one before I head back to the UK at the end of the month then I shan't bother until I come back out to LA in the new year. I just refuse to pay the equivalent of $1132 for the 64Gb version from the UK.
    Keep checking that site someone made that compiles the in the store pick up options. It literally changes multiple times a day. I ordered my 64gb gold AT&T and 16 gb gold AT&T phones on launch day and was still was waiting. Last night around 2 am I checked that site and saw 3 stores that had 16gb phones. Again I checked in the morning and same story. I checked again today around 630 and only 1 store in my area had 64gb gold phones. I canceled my online order and placed an in store pick up order and then 30 minutes later I convinced my mom to do the same. Some other stores had cropped up that we're closer that had 16gb phones but she decided to go ahead and get a 64gb. Keep at it. After today I'm convinced in store is the way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    10-19-2013 12:34 AM
    Call them and ask what options u got. I think you can cancel. Don't take my word for it though.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    I had 2 orders waiting I canceled one and while I was on hold with AT&T my upgrade eligibility reappeared that was about 5 minutes after I canceled online...it actually coincided with when I received my cancellation email from apple. After I successfully canceled and placed my in store order I repeated the process with my 2nd order!

I was very worried that it would take the 24 hrs or require a call to AT&T but it all worked out just fine and with in minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    jmr1015 likes this.
    10-19-2013 12:53 AM
102 12345