The Compass/Level issue

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have yet another new phone and they told me to come back in a few days if I have new issues. Something was SERIOUSLY borked with that other one. This one crashed out of Settings app twice and springboarded while I was still there...But compared to the one I gave back it was not as crazy. Yay for me, I get to relive my 4s experience.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I have yet another new phone and they told me to come back in a few days if I have new issues. Something was SERIOUSLY borked with that other one. This one crashed out of Settings app twice and springboarded while I was still there...But compared to the one I gave back it was not as crazy. Yay for me, I get to relive my 4s experience.

Are you setting these up as new? Or restoring from backup?

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The difference is, a ruler comes "calibrated" (for lack of better term) directly to the consumer...when you open the compass/level app on the iPhone, you yourself have to calibrate it the first time, so it's certainly not something that comes that way. You can actually force the iPhone into a recalibration mode using a common refrigerator magnet...and it's possible that the recalibration could help some of these devices that are off by so much. I forced mine just a second ago to recalibrate, and then tested it on my desk, and it was off by 2*...reset it again and recalibrated it and it's back to 0*, so you can cause a difference I guess in the way you move the phone during calibration.

Fair point. Could it be interference when calibrating the compass (magnetic interference from the surroundings) that is causing/exacerbating the level issues?

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing though, Apple will replace the iPhone at any time for pretty much ANY reason during the first year of ownership...so why not get one on launch day? You may run the chance of having some issues with features (my level is not even 1* off, maybe I'm lucky, maybe i'm more average than those having issues, who knows), but why not enjoy the phone from the get go, and then, if a problem like this arises and presents a scenario that you can't live with, take it back and enjoy the best customer support on the market!

I get frustration, you want it to work properly out of the box...it's a fair expectation. But there's no way I wait for a new iPhone I want out of the fear that it might have a few bugs (that will almost unquestionably be fixed in a firmware update).

THIS.

This was my exact thinking when I bought the phone. If any issues ever arise, I can take it in within a year and get it exchanged on-the-spot, no problem. That's half the reason why I switched back to Apple/iOS.

Also, I'm a little less paranoid about any issues, such as this one. I'm not frantically searching for small, nitpicky issues, because if I do ever notice one by chance, I can get it easily replaced at the Apple Store. Love the support!

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I do wonder if the software is the issue. I may do a reset and let it sit Sunday while it reloads everything. It may actually have a calibration they just plumb forgot to tell people about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I do wonder if the software is the issue. I may do a reset and let it sit Sunday while it reloads everything. It may actually have a calibration they just plumb forgot to tell people about.

Just make sure you don't pass then 14 days frame so that you don't get a refurb.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It seems to be random as to which phones it affects. My original one was from launch day and it was 3 degrees out. My warranty replacement was also from the launch batch (I saw the date on the box, it was Sept 19th) and it's calibrated bang on.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I got it on launch day, so I am past the 14 day window. I will post back in here when I do a clean install. Just one of those things that seem weird to be hardware when everything thing else rocks fine on this thing.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Checked my wife's 5s and it is 1 degree off. She got her's on launch day too. That is pretty inconsistent for hardware. Most hardware issues come in batches and don't go in and out of tolerance that far off unless the chip is really that crappy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine always says it's -2 degrees on a flat surface. Doesn't seem to be causing issues with how I use my phone though. I'd like to see a fix still as others have said we've payed a lot of money and expect are devices to work as advertised.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Just received my 5S now. The level is 2 degrees off (Showing -2) I am ok with that because the phone is perfect at everything else even the fingerprint reading speed :)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Copied from a similar thread: Went to the apple store several times this week in Albuquerque. I literally tried just about every iPhone 5s and a few 5c models they had on display to see if their sensors were off. Every single phone I tested was off. Tested flat, all were off anywhere from -2 to -5 degrees. Tested on the side(SIM card slot), all were off from -3 to -5 degrees. Tested standing right side up(charge port on the bottom), all were off from -1 to -3 degrees. Only one apple genius out of 3 that I talked to who actually owned the 5s himself was aware that it is an issue. And yes I did feel awkward going from table to table testing the sensor problem, but anything for science! Lol

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Copied from a similar thread: Went to the apple store several times this week in Albuquerque. I literally tried just about every iPhone 5s and a few 5c models they had on display to see if their sensors were off. Every single phone I tested was off. Tested flat, all were off anywhere from -2 to -5 degrees. Tested on the side(SIM card slot), all were off from -3 to -5 degrees. Tested standing right side up(charge port on the bottom), all were off from -1 to -3 degrees. Only one apple genius out of 3 that I talked to who actually owned the 5s himself was aware that it is an issue. And yes I did feel awkward going from table to table testing the sensor problem, but anything for science! Lol

It's a software issue with the calibration of the accelerometer. There is another thread that shows where a group of developers figured out a work around, which should be good news for people who are having issues with it, as it's something fixable with a calibration update (some people are even having luck recalibrating their phones as they are right now, with the existing calibration function).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2