The Compass/Level issue

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I have Apple Care + with my iPhone, if I had the issue and decided not to return it within the 14 days return window, do I still get a refurbished unit not a new one?

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I have Apple Care + with my iPhone, if I had the issue and decided not to return it within the 14 days return window, do I still get a refurbished unit not a new one?

Once you are beyond a reasonable time period of having a "new" device, I don't see why you would expect your used device to be replaced with a new one. Refurbished is fine as long as everything works. I do think 14 days is a little short of a window though...

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

You will get a refurb (like everyone does), UNLESS there are no refurbs yet. I warrantied mine today and got a new one. If you wait too long, Apple will start getting refurbs in....

Last edited:

Navmacs

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both got our 5Ss 5 days after launch. Compared levels tonight. Hers is pretty much spot on; mine is about 6 degrees off. Since I do use it on occasion, looks like it's back to the store for me.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I both got our 5Ss 5 days after launch. Compared levels tonight. Hers is pretty much spot on; mine is about 6 degrees off. Since I do use it on occasion, looks like it's back to the store for me.

Even if you don't use the level, you have to figure that it affects the other sensors also. I would definitely warranty it.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Define "My fingerprint reader would take three tries," please.

My phone is definitely NOT instant with the fingerprint scanner at all, never has been. Usually I could've swiped and done the passcode faster than it takes to recognize any of my fingers.

My level is a good 5-6 degrees off.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

My phone is definitely NOT instant with the fingerprint scanner at all, never has been. Usually I could've swiped and done the passcode faster than it takes to recognize any of my fingers.

It would take a couple tries to read my print (would give me the "try again" message) every time I unlocked. When it did read/unlock, it would take a second.

My replacement phone is almost instant. I have hit the home button to wake up the display, and it's unlocked before the screen lights up. Definitely a difference. That added to the fact that my level was off, and the overall speed (almost exactly the same as my previous iPhone 5 was) led me to believe my phone was a lemon. It was.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

This sounds very slow to me. It should almost work instantly if you wake the device with the home button. Just leave the finger resting on it a split second after depressing, and almost as soon as the screen backlight comes on, it should be unlocking.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea it takes longer than that. There's nothing instant about that. I hit the button and have to rest my finger for a good 2 or 3 count to get unlocking IF it acknowledges my finger. It doesn't even give me the Try Again, just doesn't even recognize it's there. Hmph. I don't want to have to deal with a replacement that might not be perfect, or install a new protector...dang it.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Yea it takes longer than that. There's nothing instant about that. I hit the button and have to rest my finger for a good 2 or 3 count to get unlocking IF it acknowledges my finger. It doesn't even give me the Try Again, just doesn't even recognize it's there. Hmph. I don't want to have to deal with a replacement that might not be perfect, or install a new protector...dang it.
That is exactly what my old one did, which I thought was normal. Being my replacement literally unlocks before my display lights up.....it's not normal.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

That is not normal performance at all. As much as you don't want to replace your iPhone, you really should...and while it doesn't help in your case now that the water is under the bridge, it's always a good idea to use your iPhone for a few days to find any flaws in the performance before you invest in things like screen protectors, for obvious reasons.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hah! I don't even take a phone out of the box without putting a screen protector on it first! I wouldn't have known about the level anyway, I never use it hardly at all. The TouchID though, that was annoying. Since so many of you are saying this isn't right, I set up an appointment for after work tomorrow. We'll see what the Genii say tomorrow. I don't have an "obscure" color, so I'd like to assume they have plenty of black 64GB new warranty units that hopefully have good levels and touch ID sensors. Good thing I have a lot of screen protectors at home...

I may address this to my parents too, since I know my dad's level was pretty far off. I will see how their TouchID's work more than anything. I'd like to make sure their phones work well.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
And that's why I never order on a launch day... Although I am still afraid the unit I ordered on the 27th of Sept, that shipped four days ago might also be faulty.. But hopefully it would be good.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I need to remind myself never to order on launch day again. I told myself not to, but there I was.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Regardless, it's still a feature of the phone that should work properly. Try playing any game that requires you to tilt your device from side to side and you will see how irritating it can be.

Agree... Nobody said we're using the iphone 5S to build bridges or buildings, but it's certainly worse than the 5 and I've seen videos where games seem to be affected

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I need to remind myself never to order on launch day again. I told myself not to, but there I was.

Here's the thing though, Apple will replace the iPhone at any time for pretty much ANY reason during the first year of ownership...so why not get one on launch day? You may run the chance of having some issues with features (my level is not even 1* off, maybe I'm lucky, maybe i'm more average than those having issues, who knows), but why not enjoy the phone from the get go, and then, if a problem like this arises and presents a scenario that you can't live with, take it back and enjoy the best customer support on the market!

I get frustration, you want it to work properly out of the box...it's a fair expectation. But there's no way I wait for a new iPhone I want out of the fear that it might have a few bugs (that will almost unquestionably be fixed in a firmware update).

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing though, Apple will replace the iPhone at any time for pretty much ANY reason during the first year of ownership...so why not get one on launch day? You may run the chance of having some issues with features (my level is not even 1* off, maybe I'm lucky, maybe i'm more average than those having issues, who knows), but why not enjoy the phone from the get go, and then, if a problem like this arises and presents a scenario that you can't live with, take it back and enjoy the best customer support on the market!

I get frustration, you want it to work properly out of the box...it's a fair expectation. But there's no way I wait for a new iPhone I want out of the fear that it might have a few bugs (that will almost unquestionably be fixed in a firmware update).

I know you quoted ame, but I also wanted to tell my opinion. It feels great when you order on the launch day, but when your phone has issues at least for me I feel disappointed in the phone and even if I get a full functional replacement my experience towards this phone will never be the same.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner