The Compass/Level issue

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I know it has been talked about ad nauseam... but what is the deal with the compass/level inaccuracy?

This is a hardware issue, correct? That Apple will most likely NOT be issuing a recall on?

What other aspects of the phone does this issue impact? Is it only relevant for the compass/level, and games that use the accelerometer? Anything else?

The reason I am asking: I have already replaced my 5S once... due to a questionable power button. I like the one I have now. But the level is off. Roughly two degrees when laying flat on its back. One degree when standing in portrait, one degree when sideways in landscape.

I would like to keep the one I have. But knowing there is faulty hardware under that pretty skin really really urks me. If the only thing it can possibly impact is the level, and games, I might be able to live with it. I am not a big mobile gamer... PS3 and iPad are for gaming duty... and I don't ever see a situation in which I would use the level in the real world. I am thinking of just trying to live with it... at least for a time. Maybe swap it out in a few months or more if I can bear it.

How many of you have a faulty level? Are you going to swap out your device for a new one?

bboykin87

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I've heard that it can affect GPS as we'll, but I don't know how true that is. But like you knowing something is wrong just gets under my skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

MisterMe11

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried one in the store and it was clearly off. I'm weighing this flaw in my mind against the Galaxy Note's various reported issues to see which I want to live with!
I hope Apple and Samsung 'man up' and acknowledge these issues so we know whether/when they're able to fix them

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't use GPS or whatever, I never use Compass, and I have used the Level I think 1 time ever on any phone. I use a real level for when I really need a level. So I am not particularly concerned about it. However, my dad will use his level (app) in a pinch when he is trying to work on something before grabbing the real one, and he noticed it was off immediately. I don't know if he's going to be overly worried about doing anything to fix it though.

I am going to wait and see if it's hardware or software. I didn't check my level in my 4S or anything before I sold it.

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
if you need a level buy a real one lol

ridiculous. it's a phone people!

Regardless, it's still a feature of the phone that should work properly. Try playing any game that requires you to tilt your device from side to side and you will see how irritating it can be.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a big mobile gamer, but I do like to play on occasion when I'm stuck somewhere. If the accelerometer is incorrect, that can make playing games very inconvenient. I've never used my phone as a leveler however.

I've read that it's a hardware issue and possibly a software issue. I don't think anyone really knows. I do believe that the general consensus is that it is a hardware issue that cannot be fixed. If that is the case, There are simply too many devices in the wild now with the problem for Apple to reasonably fix it without costing them a pretty penny.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It seems like an easy enough fix...they just need to add a calibration function to it, which would be able to "offset" variations in the way each phone is built (slight variances in each phone would make a single spectrum fix kind of impossible). My leveling calibration wasn't too far off, definitely not 2* like someone showed above, but it wasn't completely level.

Should they fix it? Yup.

Is this a legitimate gripe that should be heavily considered when buying a smart phone? LOL...let's get real here guys.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Should they fix it? Yup.

Is this a legitimate gripe that should be heavily considered when buying a smart phone? LOL...let's get real here guys.

Completely agree that It SHOULD be fixed.

How big of a deal is going to be based off of if you're a gamer and exactly what you're using your iPhone for.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I decided to check mine and I'm 5 degrees off. That's fairly substantial and is off way more then the normal 2 degrees I've seen most people have. I had really hoped that 3 weeks later the problem would be fixed. It won't impact my day to day use but it will eventually when I'm stuck somewhere and decide to play an accelerometer based game.

Someone mentioned GPS earlier, that would be a huge deal to me since I use it on a semi regular basis.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Here is a picture of my 4S, it shows -1 and I was able to live with it for about two years and never cared or noticed the issue :ad
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1381613447.033442.jpg

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
FYI everyone. My 5s is about 3deg off level. I took it in to the Apple Store and they swapped it on the spot. My replacement was dated Sept 19th, so it (like mine) was from the original run. The level on the replacement is dead accurate. If you are really worried, get yours replaced. Apple Geniuses know about it and it can't be fixed, only replaced.

FBPD10

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Just checked mine. It fluctuated between 2-3 degrees on a flat surface back and forth without being moved. That and the BSOD with Pages I'm going to the Apple Store in the morning. $800 for a device less than 30 days old not working in every way advertised is not acceptable for any product

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Just checked mine. It fluctuated between 2-3 degrees on a flat surface back and forth without being moved. That and the BSOD with Pages I'm going to the Apple Store in the morning. $800 for a device less than 30 days old not working in every way advertised is not acceptable for any product

Exactly why I exchanged mine. This new one seems snappier overall. I think my previous one really was boinked.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Exactly why I exchanged mine. This new one seems snappier overall. I think my previous one really was boinked.

You sure yours was from the same stock as yours? The early builds? Or new ones that were recently shipped the past week?

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
You sure yours was from the same stock as yours? The early builds? Or new ones that were recently shipped the past week?

Mine was from the same stock, maybe earlier. I saw the box for the replacement, it was dated Sept 19th and didn't have 7.0.2. This leads me to believe that it's not an issue with EVERY phone, just a certain production batch maybe.

*EDIT* after playing with the replacement for a bit, i can say that my original phone was indeed screwy. The fingerprint reader on this is perfect, m previous one would take 3 tries. The phone is speedier overall, and of course the level is bang on.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox