Define "My fingerprint reader would take three tries," please.

My phone is definitely NOT instant with the fingerprint scanner at all, never has been. Usually I could've swiped and done the passcode faster than it takes to recognize any of my fingers.

My level is a good 5-6 degrees off.
    10-14-2013 04:12 PM

My phone is definitely NOT instant with the fingerprint scanner at all, never has been. Usually I could've swiped and done the passcode faster than it takes to recognize any of my fingers.

It would take a couple tries to read my print (would give me the "try again" message) every time I unlocked. When it did read/unlock, it would take a second.

My replacement phone is almost instant. I have hit the home button to wake up the display, and it's unlocked before the screen lights up. Definitely a difference. That added to the fact that my level was off, and the overall speed (almost exactly the same as my previous iPhone 5 was) led me to believe my phone was a lemon. It was.
    10-14-2013 08:19 PM

This sounds very slow to me. It should almost work instantly if you wake the device with the home button. Just leave the finger resting on it a split second after depressing, and almost as soon as the screen backlight comes on, it should be unlocking.
    10-14-2013 08:20 PM
    Yea it takes longer than that. There's nothing instant about that. I hit the button and have to rest my finger for a good 2 or 3 count to get unlocking IF it acknowledges my finger. It doesn't even give me the Try Again, just doesn't even recognize it's there. Hmph. I don't want to have to deal with a replacement that might not be perfect, or install a new protector...dang it.
    10-14-2013 10:09 PM
    Yea it takes longer than that. There's nothing instant about that. I hit the button and have to rest my finger for a good 2 or 3 count to get unlocking IF it acknowledges my finger. It doesn't even give me the Try Again, just doesn't even recognize it's there. Hmph. I don't want to have to deal with a replacement that might not be perfect, or install a new protector...dang it.
    That is exactly what my old one did, which I thought was normal. Being my replacement literally unlocks before my display lights up.....it's not normal.
    10-14-2013 10:20 PM
    That is not normal performance at all. As much as you don't want to replace your iPhone, you really should...and while it doesn't help in your case now that the water is under the bridge, it's always a good idea to use your iPhone for a few days to find any flaws in the performance before you invest in things like screen protectors, for obvious reasons.
    10-14-2013 10:24 PM
    it's always a good idea to use your iPhone for a few days to find any flaws in the performance before you invest in things like screen protectors, for obvious reasons.
    Sage advise.
    10-14-2013 10:41 PM
    Hah! I don't even take a phone out of the box without putting a screen protector on it first! I wouldn't have known about the level anyway, I never use it hardly at all. The TouchID though, that was annoying. Since so many of you are saying this isn't right, I set up an appointment for after work tomorrow. We'll see what the Genii say tomorrow. I don't have an "obscure" color, so I'd like to assume they have plenty of black 64GB new warranty units that hopefully have good levels and touch ID sensors. Good thing I have a lot of screen protectors at home...

I may address this to my parents too, since I know my dad's level was pretty far off. I will see how their TouchID's work more than anything. I'd like to make sure their phones work well.
    GibMcFragger likes this.
    10-14-2013 10:57 PM
    And that's why I never order on a launch day... Although I am still afraid the unit I ordered on the 27th of Sept, that shipped four days ago might also be faulty.. But hopefully it would be good.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    10-15-2013 03:54 AM
    I need to remind myself never to order on launch day again. I told myself not to, but there I was.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    10-15-2013 07:49 AM
    I need to remind myself never to order on launch day again. I told myself not to, but there I was.
    Yep, and I'll keep giving in and doing it every year, lol.
    ame likes this.
    10-15-2013 11:29 AM
    Well if they increase the size on the 6, I won't have any trouble waiting.
    10-15-2013 11:34 AM
    Regardless, it's still a feature of the phone that should work properly. Try playing any game that requires you to tilt your device from side to side and you will see how irritating it can be.
    Agree... Nobody said we're using the iphone 5S to build bridges or buildings, but it's certainly worse than the 5 and I've seen videos where games seem to be affected
    10-15-2013 11:49 AM
    Here's the thing though, Apple will replace the iPhone at any time for pretty much ANY reason during the first year of ownership...so why not get one on launch day? You may run the chance of having some issues with features (my level is not even 1* off, maybe I'm lucky, maybe i'm more average than those having issues, who knows), but why not enjoy the phone from the get go, and then, if a problem like this arises and presents a scenario that you can't live with, take it back and enjoy the best customer support on the market!

I get frustration, you want it to work properly out of the box...it's a fair expectation. But there's no way I wait for a new iPhone I want out of the fear that it might have a few bugs (that will almost unquestionably be fixed in a firmware update).
    jmr1015 likes this.
    10-15-2013 01:55 PM
    Here's the thing though, Apple will replace the iPhone at any time for pretty much ANY reason during the first year of ownership...so why not get one on launch day? You may run the chance of having some issues with features (my level is not even 1* off, maybe I'm lucky, maybe i'm more average than those having issues, who knows), but why not enjoy the phone from the get go, and then, if a problem like this arises and presents a scenario that you can't live with, take it back and enjoy the best customer support on the market!

I get frustration, you want it to work properly out of the box...it's a fair expectation. But there's no way I wait for a new iPhone I want out of the fear that it might have a few bugs (that will almost unquestionably be fixed in a firmware update).
    I know you quoted ame, but I also wanted to tell my opinion. It feels great when you order on the launch day, but when your phone has issues at least for me I feel disappointed in the phone and even if I get a full functional replacement my experience towards this phone will never be the same.

ame likes this.
    10-15-2013 02:21 PM
    Even though I know there's no chance of a refurb, I will admit I never full trust the warranty exchange phones. I went through double digits with the 4S issues and it got OLD.
    10-15-2013 02:30 PM
    I think my phone knows it's going to the Apple Store soon, because the TouchID is 50-50 for being timely right now.
    10-15-2013 04:48 PM
    I know you quoted ame, but I also wanted to tell my opinion. It feels great when you order on the launch day, but when your phone has issues at least for me I feel disappointed in the phone and even if I get a full functional replacement my experience towards this phone will never be the same.

It's a fair stance, no doubt about it. I've historically been known to buy in early on technology, and about 90% of the time, I've been satisfied with the results...the only time I can remember being absolutely disappointed was with the HDDVD player (still have mine, it's been in a box untouched with about 20 HDDVD's for years and years)...it was an expensive investment that is now completely useless and worthless. Given the pretty high success rate on buying in early, I've learned to deal with a sprinkling of bugs, but I can appreciate some people having no tolerance of such...

Again though, the great thing about Apple is the fact that you're never more than a phone call or trip to your local Apple store away from a replacement device if you have a phone that isn't performing like others are reporting. I'm not going to try and convince anyone that a refurb is worthy...all I can say is that if a "refurb" performs better than the "new" one, why get stuck on labels?
    M.Rizk likes this.
    10-15-2013 05:06 PM
    So I just got home with the replacement. Let me just say that it was not without drama. 1) the genius I was working with was having NONE of this "compass drama" that the internet was spewing about, 2) he thinks that it is all software, not hardware and 3) told me that TouchID is NOT instant, and I was making a big ordeal out of nothing, but because I made the appointment and his manager told him he had to replace it, he would do it. The manager is who checked me in and I spoke with about the phone. I told them that I wasn't sure it was serious, is this something that really is hardware, and the manager said "yes, unfortunately we've had a few come back with this issue. we'll swap it out, hang tight". The Genius was a total ****** and after he swapped it and we erased my other one, he walked off, and then the new one would NOT activate. So I was there for another 20 minutes waiting for another Genius, and the one I had rolled his eyes at me as he left for break. It eventually activated, and we reset network settings...it was a whole ordeal. They were going to reswap it before it came up, and I should've just let them.

So far this one seems fine, the level is 1 off, and I can handle that. The TouchID doesn't seem any better but whatever.
    10-15-2013 07:10 PM
    So I just got home with the replacement. Let me just say that it was not without drama. 1) the genius I was working with was having NONE of this "compass drama" that the internet was spewing about, 2) he thinks that it is all software, not hardware and 3) told me that TouchID is NOT instant, and I was making a big ordeal out of nothing, but because I made the appointment and his manager told him he had to replace it, he would do it. The manager is who checked me in and I spoke with about the phone. I told them that I wasn't sure it was serious, is this something that really is hardware, and the manager said "yes, unfortunately we've had a few come back with this issue. we'll swap it out, hang tight". The Genius was a total ****** and after he swapped it and we erased my other one, he walked off, and then the new one would NOT activate. So I was there for another 20 minutes waiting for another Genius, and the one I had rolled his eyes at me as he left for break. It eventually activated, and we reset network settings...it was a whole ordeal. They were going to reswap it before it came up, and I should've just let them.

So far this one seems fine, the level is 1 off, and I can handle that. The TouchID doesn't seem any better but whatever.
    wow that looks like my country client service! lol, but IMO, anyone exchanging their iPhone coz the level "issues" is wasting their time, Apple haven't say anything about that, If it's hardware issues it wont be fixed till they make a hardware revision, if its software actually even if its hardware, is easy to fix just adding the option to "calibrate it" and saving the setting, if your is -2 ,to anything it give you, rest 2...
    10-15-2013 07:47 PM

I would get that Genius's employee number off my receipt and file a complaint. One of the best experiences of owning an iPhone is Apple's stellar customer service. They should be made fully aware when an employee is jeopardizing that reputation.
    10-15-2013 08:07 PM
    I would get that Genius's employee number off my receipt and file a complaint. One of the best experiences of owning an iPhone is Apple's stellar customer service. They should be made fully aware when an employee is jeopardizing that reputation.
    They will do nothing about the complain. Apple itself didn't declare the issue yet in an official statement or press release. And clearly the manager said his information is based on the number of returns they got, not an official statement from Apple itself.

It is really sad to know that even the new one you got is having the same issues.

10-15-2013 08:13 PM
    They will do nothing about the complain. Apple itself didn't declare the issue yet in an official statement or press release. And clearly the manager said his information is based on the number of returns they got, not an official statement from Apple itself.

It is really sad to know that even the new one you got is having the same issues.

The complaint should have little to do with the device or issue, but more the employees response to that issue. His attitude and conduct. Apple holds their employees to a high standard in the field of customer service... and they should be notified when an employee is not up to that standard.

If he personally or professionally did not feel their warranty should cover this issue, there are respectful ways to deal with it. The first one that comes to mind, is to tell the customer that they don't think they can replace the device for this issue, but he will try his best to get things resolved, and is going to go ahead and bring a manager in on the situation to make a judgment call.
    10-15-2013 08:49 PM
    Not to say that you've done this wrong up to this point ame, but a lot of people are having problems with their fingerprint scanner because of the way they set theirs up...in the case you might fall into that category, this might help. The finger print scanner works most effectively when you give it a multitude of approaches for the given finger you are setting up...and what a lot of "complaints" are turning up is that people are doing the initial "dead on" scan, and then just kind of continuing that same process (not turning or rolling the thumb on the scanner)...so essentially, the only way it unlocks is if they scan their thumb straight on.

Mine works from about 10 different angles, just based on the way it was initially setup...and now, I have both thumbs and one index finger setup (since sometimes, when it's laying on a flat surface, the index finger works better than a thumb).

Anyways, here's a kind of "how to" link, hopefully it helps...if not, hopefully an update helps you with your issue.

How to Set Up Touch ID and Use Touch ID on the iPhone 5s [Video]
    jmr1015 and Jose Hidaka like this.
    10-15-2013 09:27 PM

Regarding TouchID yes. I am downloading all my apps now, and as annoying as that TouchID was on that other one, and I shouldn't compare the two, I should've kept it.
    10-15-2013 09:30 PM
86 1234