Hi folks. I am currently with AT&T, but not eligible for an upgrade so I will be selling my old phone and paying full retail price for the 5s. My question is, do I have to buy an AT&T model, or can I get one for any network and activate it using AT&T. I know AT&T uses different bands than Verizon, but doesn't every 5s have GSM as well as CDMA?

Thanks!!
    10-10-2013 02:20 PM
    You can buy from AT&T or Apple... Verizon won't sell you a phone unless you have a Verizon account to activate it on...
    10-10-2013 02:28 PM
    Hi folks. I am currently with AT&T, but not eligible for an upgrade so I will be selling my old phone and paying full retail price for the 5s. My question is, do I have to buy an AT&T model, or can I get one for any network and activate it using AT&T. I know AT&T uses different bands than Verizon, but doesn't every 5s have GSM as well as CDMA?

Thanks!!
    If you're going full retail anyways, just go to the Apple store and don't worry about the carrier type, they'll get you into the device you need.

And as a general rule, if you want the most problem free experience in purchase, going to an Apple store is usually the best bet. The only speed bump here is quantity during this new release rush...but even still, the Apple store will have FAR more than any carrier store would...in fact, if I recall reading correctly, many carrier stores are simply filling pre-orders right now and not selling devices to walk ins.
    Rocket_Girl and Stefano_B like this.
    10-10-2013 02:37 PM
    The AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon models will work. The Verizon and Sprint models are the only ones with both CDMA and GSM, the others are GSM only. I don't know if the Sprint model will work however. Make sure to purchase it from an Apple store at full price to ensure it's unlocked.
    10-10-2013 02:50 PM
    If you're going full retail anyways, just go to the Apple store and don't worry about the carrier type, they'll get you into the device you need.

And as a general rule, if you want the most problem free experience in purchase, going to an Apple store is usually the best bet. The only speed bump here is quantity during this new release rush...but even still, the Apple store will have FAR more than any carrier store would...in fact, if I recall reading correctly, many carrier stores are simply filling pre-orders right now and not selling devices to walk ins.
    Could I presumably do the same thing with Best Buy?
    10-10-2013 02:51 PM
    I've heard even more common reports from Best Buy that they are only allowing people to join a waiting list, and are not selling iPhone's to walk ins. You can always try though, it would certainly be a more open experience there since the service most of the main carriers, but you won't get the same service there, and again, from what I've read/heard, you may not be able to walk into a Best Buy and buy one at all for right now.
    10-10-2013 02:55 PM
    I've heard even more common reports from Best Buy that they are only allowing people to join a waiting list, and are not selling iPhone's to walk ins. You can always try though, it would certainly be a more open experience there since the service most of the main carriers, but you won't get the same service there, and again, from what I've read/heard, you may not be able to walk into a Best Buy and buy one at all for right now.
    I just did Monday so I would say that is false. Also bought one on Saturday. Both walk ins.
    10-10-2013 03:31 PM
    I just did Monday so I would say that is false. Also bought one on Saturday. Both walk ins.
    That is really great you were able to do that, but I think it would be advisable to say that a person should call first before trying out your method...I just called my buddy who works at the Best Buy I scored my first gold 5S at, and she said they have ZERO devices to sell to walk ins, and haven't since release...that all of their devices are sold by reservation, and that she has been told by their distribution person that a readily available stock for the store isn't expected before late October.

Doesn't mean all of them are like this (though this one is the largest in Atlanta and probably has some similarities to other large market stores), but I'd definitely call before you go, to save time and frustration in case your own local store is like mine.
    10-10-2013 05:32 PM
    I second Sean. When at all possible, buy from Apple. If you mess up and get the wrong thing, it is easy to exchange (within timeframe). No place else will take better care of you until you have the phone that works for you.

If you have on,y purchase elsewhere (carriers, Best Buy), you don't know what you are missing with Apple. Customer service is unbeatable.
    10-11-2013 01:06 AM
    I'd buy the verizon one unlocked if possible if you think you'd ever switch to verizon because it still works on tmob and att

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    10-11-2013 03:12 AM
    I walked into a bestbuy as soon as they opened and purchased the one and only 5S they got the night before. So it is possible but highly unlikely.
    10-11-2013 04:35 AM
    Buy the Verizon model full price and you're good to go!

Irish has a whole sticky thread about it

http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=264635

Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    Just_Me_D and Eileen89 like this.
    10-11-2013 06:00 AM
    Buy the Verizon model full price and you're good to go!

Irish has a whole sticky thread about it

My Verizon iPhone 5S works on AT&T: - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

This is great, thanks for posting this. I think this is exactly what I will do!
    10-11-2013 11:59 AM
    No prob enjoy your new device it's awesome!

10-11-2013 04:29 PM
    I posted that thread 2 weeks ago and my Verizon 5S is still working great on AT&T's network. You won't regret getting it at all.
    10-11-2013 06:45 PM