iPhone 5s Storage Capacity

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have has 64 for 4s, 5, and 5s. I am a just in case-er: would rather have the space than give one second of thought to how much space I have left. I would have gone for 32 this time, but on launch-Monday, it was a 64 that popped up as 'available for pickup today' so I grabbed it. I am crazy about this camera, and I never delete any off it other than the rejects.

As for the question about 16 vs 32 (or any size) for resale, there's this: are you buying the phone to re-sell it or to USE it? I mean - it's great to have re-sale market and a plus to know you can sell down the line, but it the phone still has to be what you need and will use while YOU have it. So, if you want 16, buy 16 and if you want 32, buy that. Is buying 16 b/c it might hold $20 more in value vs a 32 a year later really worth it? If you need 32, is it worth it to drive yourself crazy for a stop-loss of $20 to live within 16 for a whole year? You might be "saving" a few bucks, but you're literally getting less value from what you DO spend- is that kind of experience-loss worth a lousy 20 bucks?

Like buying one car over another to sell it later. "Holds resale value" is great and all, but you still have to drive it EVERY DAY until you sell it. And if the better re-seller is the car you hate to drive, you may be "losing less" when you sell it later, but man, you also get less value from what you spend to HAVE it in the meantime.

Realtors say this often: buying a house is least about selling it. It's about LIVING in it. Buy the one that has the most value *for you* for every day that YOU have it. Whatever you can get in resale is gravy.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
32gb is the sweet spot for me. I typically use under 16 gb, but there are occasions where I need to record videos in my iphone and those files are huge! 9gb for a 45-minute clip! Import it into iMovie for iPhone and that's another 9gb taken up!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have gone with the 32GB variant every year since the iPhone 4...64GB is useless to me because between iCloud and 32GB, I never even come close to hitting my max...that would present an option to the 16GB to some, but I have found that with all of my installed apps, even if I were to remove my music that is stored on the phone, I didn't have enough storage to feel comfortable with 16GB because of one thing, and that is taking a metric TON of pictures and videos.

This last baseball season alone we went to about 25 Braves games (and one Giants game, lol!)...I have about 200 pictures of JUST baseball stuff...about 20 of those are panoramic pictures, and sprinkled in there is about a dozen or so HD videos of various things at the ball park. That's just baseball...that accounts for about 20% of my pictures, lol.

With that kind of usage, and the fact that I never delete my stuff after I move it to my computer (for what reason I honestly do not know), I usually sit right at 20-25GB of used storage on my phone throughout the year. Taking into account the OS usage, I have about 5-7GB worth of free storage at any given time. I'm comfortable with that.

I completely forgot about my pics until I read your comment. Like you, I don't delete my pics after I import them to iPhoto either. I'm scared I may need 1 of them at any given moment LOL. They take up a ton of space

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I was originally thinking about getting a 32gb as I've always done in the past due to having external memory option, however after reading and doing research, I'm leaning towards the 64gb iphone (GOLD). I like to keep hard copies of everything, somewhat of a tech horder...SMILE. This is why I do RESEARCH, nobody to blame but myself...HAHaHa

mpham2

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I was going for the 32 this time. The store only had a silver 64 though so I got that instead. Looks like I will keep a lot more pics on the phone now.

aaguilar27

May 19, 2014
Visit site
How many songs can be stored on the phone w/ 64gig? I'm wondering because iTunes didnt let all the music I wanted synced on the phone. Perhaps I did something wrong - as I'm new to the iPhone. Thanks for any intel.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How many songs can be stored on the phone w/ 64gig? I'm wondering because iTunes didnt let all the music I wanted synced on the phone. Perhaps I did something wrong - as I'm new to the iPhone. Thanks for any intel.

I have 3384 songs on mine that take up 17.4 GB

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Cloud storage for music (Google Play is pretty good IMO) and Spotify. I have 4K+ songs in my iTunes and it's basically all on my phone and I have 8.3GB remaining (on a 16GB phone).

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I got the 16GB since there were no 32GB in stock. My 3500 music tracks are in the Cloud of Google Music. My photos and videos are backed up to Goggle + also. I don't play games on my phone either. I'm totally fine with 10.2 remaining right now.

CalumSK

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Got a 16GB one, but storage is often tight due to my music library. Converting the music quality to 128 kbps has really saved a lot of room though :D

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I've got the 32GB variant, and I'm quite pleased with it. I have to do space management once in a while, but it doesn't constrict me like a 16GB model would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My first one was an iPhone 4 32 and every one since has been a 16... I don't NEED the 32 but it was nice to have.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
It's been couple months now that I've had my 16GB 5s and don't think I've ever had less that 7GB of free space. I have quite a few games too but I don't think any of them are more than 100MB a piece. Spotify also really helps in terms of keeping my downloaded music to a minimum.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just got a 16GB 5S and I have 10.2 GB free. I have some apps and photos on my device. I use iTunes Radio and Spotify, so I don't download music. I just got rid of my 2 year old 4S that still had 9GB available.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711