"Sorry, all we have is gold"

Philip Pearl

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
On Sept 25 I stood in a long line at the Northridge, CA, Apple store waiting for a 5S. By the time I got to the head of the line all they had was 16 or 64GB in Space Gray. I liked the color well enough, but was pretty sure that 16GB was borderline for me. On the other hand, the 64GB at $400 was vast overkill, so I took the 16GB thinking that within the month allowed for returns and exchanges I would exchange it for a 32GB model.

About an hour and a half ago (3 p.m. PST) I was in the Northridge mall, and just for laughs stopped by the Apple store. I showed the guy my 5S and asked whether they might have gotten in any like it but in 32GB, AT&T. He replied, "Sorry, the only thing we have in 32GB right now for AT&T is the gold color."

Sorry? SORRY? This was the very definition of pure dumb luck. Needless to say I walked out with the 32GB gold 5S.

As many have said, it's really not "blingy" at all; it's quite easy on the eyes, in fact. I'd have to say that after years of black or silver phones, it makes a nice change. Except to my wife, who's tied to her corporate 4S.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how many people bought iPhones with the idea of exchanging it for the color and size they really wanted later on. I've seen several posts mention that in my searching of the Internet.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I wonder how many people bought iPhones with the idea of exchanging it for the color and size they really wanted later on. I've seen several posts mention that in my searching of the Internet.

I've seen posts like that constantly the last few iPhone launches. People just settle for something at the given moment because it's available.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I see 32gb available but i need a16gb. Is it possible to buy 32 and then exchange it back for 16 and money back for difference plus tax?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Nvm called apple n got the answer. You got 2 weeks to make such return/downgrade.

Philip Pearl

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Odd. This is from [URL="https://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund#mn_p]Apple's website[/URL]:

U.S. Returns & Refunds Policy
Standard Return Policy

There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased from the U.S. Apple Online Store:

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

That was my intent...to exchange for the silver. After a few hours with the space gray I didn't want silver anymore.

When I had a lock/power button issue, I returned to Apple for a new phone. I asked (just for fun) if they had any silver and she said "sure you want that one instead?" Surprisingly I said "no".

Sent from somewhere around here using my iPhone 5S

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
On Sept 25 I stood in a long line at the Northridge, CA, Apple store waiting for a 5S. By the time I got to the head of the line all they had was 16 or 64GB in Space Gray. I liked the color well enough, but was pretty sure that 16GB was borderline for me. On the other hand, the 64GB at $400 was vast overkill, so I took the 16GB thinking that within the month allowed for returns and exchanges I would exchange it for a 32GB model.

About an hour and a half ago (3 p.m. PST) I was in the Northridge mall, and just for laughs stopped by the Apple store. I showed the guy my 5S and asked whether they might have gotten in any like it but in 32GB, AT&T. He replied, "Sorry, the only thing we have in 32GB right now for AT&T is the gold color."

Sorry? SORRY? This was the very definition of pure dumb luck. Needless to say I walked out with the 32GB gold 5S.

As many have said, it's really not "blingy" at all; it's quite easy on the eyes, in fact. I'd have to say that after years of black or silver phones, it makes a nice change. Except to my wife, who's tied to her corporate 4S.

haha, lucky you mate. here in canberra gold is like seeing a ufo roaming around lol. your lucky

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

I hear you. i did the same thing. The reason why i did this was to experience the luxury of the 5s and enjoy its features until we can get content with the colour we desire.I stood in line and still didn't get the colour i wanted. I woke up early and was super exited till they told me they don't have gold :-(. soi took the silver then later on took the silver back and am currently waiting for the gold 64 gig phone.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I see 32gb available but i need a16gb. Is it possible to buy 32 and then exchange it back for 16 and money back for difference plus tax?

I dont think you can do that, i wanted to do something simular t this and they said no. Unless you exchange the phone within the 30 limit days then with the refund from the momney you buy the smaller version

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I hear you. i did the same thing. The reason why i did this was to experience the luxury of the 5s and enjoy its features until we can get content with the colour we desire.I stood in line and still didn't get the colour i wanted. I woke up early and was super exited till they told me they don't have gold :-(. soi took the silver then later on took the silver back and am currently waiting for the gold 64 gig phone.

Me as well. I will be content if I don't get the gold one in 64gb and stick with the Space Grey if need be.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
You are lucky! I'm waiting for the white/gold 32 gb and I think I'll have a long wait. I was at the Apple Store in the Mall of America today and they didn't have any 32 gb phones in any color for AT&T.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I do believe my mouth is starting to water.....I might be getting that iphone5s eariler that expected

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I think I will get a 32 gb gold if i see it again. I saw it twice. Hopefully will see n get it tmr.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I was originally going to purchase the black 32gb iphone and ipad, suddenly I've had a change of heart as the "GOLD" iphone 5s looks GREAT and that would mean a white ipad to match...decisions..decisions decisions....this is going to be harder than I thought.