Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This might be a stupid question. How do you unplug the USB for the 5S? It doesn't seem to be as easy as 4s. The past few times I just tried to squeeze & pull. I feel like I'm i'm breaking something. Lol.

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This might be a stupid question. How do you unplug the USB for the 5S? It doesn't seem to be as easy as 4s. The past few times I just tried to squeeze & pull. I feel like I'm i'm breaking something. Lol.

I prefer the "Nike method". Just. Do. It.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess I don't understand this post...are you saying that the lightning cable doesn't freely detach from your phone when you pull on it? I mean it takes about as much effort as blinking your eyes so one would think removing it would be almost 2nd nature by now. I can't remember any different effort between the old cable and the new...so am I missing what you're asking us?

And what is this "squeezing" that people are referencing? Did you actually squeeze your old USB connectors when taking them out of the iPhone?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess I don't understand this post...are you saying that the lightning cable doesn't freely detach from your phone when you pull on it? I mean it takes about as much effort as blinking your eyes so one would think removing it would be almost 2nd nature by now. I can't remember any different effort between the old cable and the new...so am I missing what you're asking us?

And what is this "squeezing" that people are referencing? Did you actually squeeze your old USB connectors when taking them out of the iPhone?

Some older 30 pin connectors have tabs that you have to squeeze to pull it out. I have one made by Belkin that I used in my car for my 4S. The older Apple 30 pins had the squeeze tabs. I think the Bellkin Squeeze 30 pin I have dates back to my 3GS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok.

But I've never seen these squeeze tabs and I've had every iPhone except the first one and the 3GS. The apple supplied connectors never had squeeze tabs for me. Neither did the apple supplied squeeze tabs on my first three iPads or my daughter's iPod touch. And I've bought extra apple branded ones that didn't have them either.

I'll take a pic if the Belkin I have. I go back to iPods with the scroll wheel and and click wheel and FireWire most of those 30pin had the tabs.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok.

But I've never seen these squeeze tabs and I've had every iPhone except the first one and the 3GS. The apple supplied connectors never had squeeze tabs for me. Neither did the apple supplied squeeze tabs on my first three iPads or my daughter's iPod touch. And I've bought extra apple branded ones that didn't have them either.

Here's some pics of the 30 pin with squeeze tabs. It's made by Griffin not by Belkin like I originally thought. Might be a little difficult to see the tabs because it's a black cable.

ydaby9et.jpg

umyhy6em.jpg

bubu3a5e.jpg
ze6y2azy.jpg

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok. It wasn't that I didn't believe you, just that any 30-pin cable I bought in the past 5 years since the 3G including extra cables, never had them.

Oh no I didn't think you didn't believe me. :) When I mentioned older Apple 30 pins i was thinking of 2001-2002. :) Plus I'll use any excuse to pick up this 5S :) I'm hooked bad.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I remember the Griffen / Belkin's with the squeeze tabs, last time I saw a apple connector with squeeze tabs was for a very old iPod that had both the USB cord as well as Fire Wire, don't remember tabs coming with any of the apple cords that came with any of my iPhones.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Is it better to hit the eject button through iTunes to safely remove USB or does it matter

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter

That's not always true...there can be media syncing issues if you disconnect the iPhone without a proper eject. I had a series of playlists that I added to the iPhone 5 that didn't transfer over last year after yanking the phone off the cord to answer a call...didn't realize it until I got out to the car, and there was no music on the device. It's always best to eject the phone properly.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That's not always true...there can be media syncing issues if you disconnect the iPhone without a proper eject. I had a series of playlists that I added to the iPhone 5 that didn't transfer over last year after yanking the phone off the cord to answer a call...didn't realize it until I got out to the car, and there was no music on the device. It's always best to eject the phone properly.

That sounds like pilot error. If you wait for it to sync there's no problem in my experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods