Anyone else frustrated with Apple's inability to meet demands?

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has seen this link for checking apple store current supply. I've used to check on my 5s and worked perfectly. Once I showed up at the store an told them they had one in stock, they were surprised lol. Check it out, it worked for me.

http://iphone-check.herokuapp.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yeah I use this along with 3 others to check. Sometimes this link lag or delay, one time I saw green then went to buy but apple store didn't have. Went back n refresh this link n it still showing green.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Jmr may I know what color you got or hope for?

My only requirements were: I wanted more than 16gb of storage, and I wanted to buy from the Apple Store. I ended up finding a 32gb Silver/White available for pickup at an Apple Store in a town north of me. But I would have taken any color, 32gb or 64gb, at any Apple store within a 2-hour drive.

Being picky, especially if you want Gold, is definitely going to impede most peoples ability to get the device. But when you finally succeed, your victory will taste that much sweeter. Patience and persistence are key.

I actually did come across a Gold 5S available on the Apple Store during my hunt, but it was the Unlocked version, and it was in another state... I would have had to pay full price. I didn't want gold that bad.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Jmr

Is there a reason why must buy fr apple store?

Yeah initially I didn't care which color. Then I heard black gets pretty smudgy and gold is looking classy. Therefore I decided to get gold and roll naked or clear case.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Seanhcc where are u at n u should be happy for being lucky. I've tried for a week but will keep at it. I supposed I could camp at an apple store for 2 weeks straight. Hehe.

I've check out RadioShack, target, best buy, and Walmart. Call multiple times daily n on a list. No luck yet. Most them say they have not even seen a gold one. Maybe the sales ppl r smart n buy it n resell in eBay. Who knows?

I'm in Atlanta...and you can label my experience however you like...dumb luck, good timing, skillful shopping, etc...the fact is, it happened...twice.

You're visiting these retail stores that may very well have NOT seen any gold models. Why not go to the Apple store itself? The Apple store closest to me (one of four) said they've got gold iPhone 5S's every day in delivery since the release day...some days 1-2, some days a dozen or so...but some every day. Hell...Best Buy told me yesterday that NOBODY got gold iPhone's (even Apple) and that all the allotted devices were used to fill pre-orders...then I showed him my gold 5S and said "I went into Apple last weekend and got this as a walk in...", he walked away.

What's my point? You're going to the wrong place...and for some reason, you're blaming Apple because you've yet to get the iPhone you want. Just seems funny to me...Apple is doing something wrong because you're going to these chain retail stores that don't know their a$$es from a hole in the wall when it comes to this device. I mean you might as well go ask the janitor at Walmart what iPhone's are available, lol.

Get up tomorrow morning and hit your local Apple store a couple of hours early...see if you get a gold one. If not, try it again the next day...I'd be willing to put money on the fact that within this coming week, you'd have your phone in hand and all would be right with the world, lol.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Jmr

Yeah initially I didn't care which color. Then I heard black gets pretty smudgy and gold is looking classy. Therefore I decided to get gold and roll naked or clear case.

You don't HAVE to buy from an Apple store...but Apple is going to have first dibs on the popular models, so you stand an INFINITELY better chance of getting the one you want directly from Apple vs. trying to use these retail chains.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know Apple gets theirs first that is why I go nonstop spam check them though I hate to admit it. Not gonna label your experience as anything. It could be in your area, it is closer to where they send there loads first who really knows. Basically many reasons to why so for you. You should not think that I'm not trying though. I know all is right with the world well sort of but it has nothing to do with Apple. I've rocked my 3GS this long. I may end up rocking it until i6 comes out. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know Apple gets theirs first that is why I go nonstop spam check them though I hate to admit it. Not gonna label your experience as anything. It could be in your area, it is closer to where they send there loads first who really knows. Basically many reasons to why so for you. You should not think that I'm not trying though. I know all is right with the world well sort of but it has nothing to do with Apple. I've rocked my 3GS this long. I may end up rocking it until i6 comes out. :)

So you're saying you've gone to the Apple store multiple times and they've told you they haven't received any gold iPhone 5S's? Or are you going by one of those asinine online "stock counters" that are about as reliable as asking a dog if the Apple store has any stock? LOL...the website suggested on here earlier this week for "stock" estimates said that my local store had ZERO iPhone 5S's...the same day I looked, my neighbor went and bought two (for he and his wife) at the same store that apparently had none. Weird huh?

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
So you're saying you've gone to the Apple store multiple times and they've told you they haven't received any gold iPhone 5S's? Or are you going by one of those asinine online "stock counters" that are about as reliable as asking a dog if the Apple store has any stock? LOL...the website suggested on here earlier this week for "stock" estimates said that my local store had ZERO iPhone 5S's...the same day I looked, my neighbor went and bought two (for he and his wife) at the same store that apparently had none. Weird huh?

No i don't just rely on those asinine links. I go thru apple app and apple website as well. I've also called and ask 2 stores several times. They told me that they get some gold but not much and usually gone quickly. I was told to best check early in the mornings. I do checks all thru out the day and night for a week now. I think I will keep at it for one more week and then after that I will move to plan B,C, and D. :)

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Jmr

I just prefer the Apple Store as an experience. It's nice to get hands-on time with the products... and the service, even when they are busy, is better than most other retailers when you are the only person in the store.

I'm in Atlanta...and you can label my experience however you like...dumb luck, good timing, skillful shopping, etc...the fact is, it happened...twice.

You're visiting these retail stores that may very well have NOT seen any gold models. Why not go to the Apple store itself? The Apple store closest to me (one of four) said they've got gold iPhone 5S's every day in delivery since the release day...some days 1-2, some days a dozen or so...but some every day. Hell...Best Buy told me yesterday that NOBODY got gold iPhone's (even Apple) and that all the allotted devices were used to fill pre-orders...then I showed him my gold 5S and said "I went into Apple last weekend and got this as a walk in...", he walked away.

I was told at my local Apple stores that they aren't doing walk-ins for the 5S. Unless you count walking in and using their computers to still place your order on the website.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No i don't just rely on those asinine links. I go thru apple app and apple website as well. I've also called and ask 2 stores several times. They told me that they get some gold but not much and usually gone quickly. I was told to best check early in the mornings. I do checks all thru out the day and night for a week now. I think I will keep at it for one more week and then after that I will move to plan B,C, and D. :)

The app and website do not give you indication on stock. The ONLY way to see if there are any available is to go there in the morning and try to be first in line.

I just prefer the Apple Store as an experience. It's nice to get hands-on time with the products... and the service, even when they are busy, is better than most other retailers when you are the only person in the store.

I was told at my local Apple stores that they aren't doing walk-ins for the 5S. Unless you count walking in and using their computers to still place your order on the website.

That seems pretty odd...even our tiniest little store north of the perimeter here in Georgia does walk ins, and it's probably the smallest Apple store there is (it's the size of a McDonalds dining area). You've never seen a line outside of your local store for the 5S? I went to the mall today that houses the large Atlanta main store and there was a line down the upper level walking area for it...thankfully, I was going in the opposite direction, lol!

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The app and website do not give you indication on stock. The ONLY way to see if there are any available is to go there in the morning and try to be first in line.

From the 30th on, the Apple Store employees around here would not tell us what they had in stock. They pointed us in the direction of the website or app to find out what was available for purchase. If we waited in line in the morning, we simply were first to get to the Macs and try to place our orders on the same website we can access from home.

That seems pretty odd...even our tiniest little store north of the perimeter here in Georgia does walk ins, and it's probably the smallest Apple store there is (it's the size of a McDonalds dining area). You've never seen a line outside of your local store for the 5S? I went to the mall today that houses the large Atlanta main store and there was a line down the upper level walking area for it...thankfully, I was going in the opposite direction, lol!

We had lines for the launch, and most days between launch day and the 30th, because you couldn't buy one on the website for in-store pickup... yet. But from the 30th on, Apple store employees said you had to order and pay through the website, as a "pickup in store" order.

If you walked in recently, they simply let you use a Mac in the store to complete the same purchase process you could from home on your own computer. I also found that stock updates on the website could occur any time throughout the night... so while some people waited outside the store for it to open, others at home could actually place their orders and come pick up the phones once the store opened.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Apple is very good at keeping demand for their products, and by making it harder to get a device after launch day they are keeping interest.

I personally had to drive 30 minutes away in order to get a silver 16gig today. Just keep calling around and I am sure you will find it. The store I went to just got some in stock this morning, so Apple IS still supplying stores while shipping device orders as well.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No frustration here. It is what it is. After returning my Space Gray 5S back to Best Buy, I had to wait to get the Silver 64GB Verizon 5S that I wanted. It was worth it to me as I now have the one that I really want.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the wait means it is a good thing. The longer the wait the better, right? Hehe

Yeah if I give up on the 5s, i will just get a 5. 5c is a waste of an upgrade.

Not sure how 5 is BETTER than 5c unless you want black. 5c has more LTE bands, thus better reception in more places- ( a couple other modest spec tweaks) otherwise a 5 in different wrapping. It may not be better than a 5 in your eyes-that's cool- but it's certainly not worse on any count.

Last edited:

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Glass half empty or half full. Yes, it's frustrating to wait while others have their phones. Yet to think of how much demand they DO meet to get more than 9million devices to every corner of the globe within days let alone a few weeks vs taking months. I believe Apple is the only company that CAN do what they do- and keep doing more and better every year. People wait because they know that it will be worth it- their device will be beautiful and it will work. If they were producing junk, they would have been over years ago.

Even for Apple, there are PEOPLE making these phones - living in dorms, working long hours for wages we would scoff at, under conditions we would not accept for a nanosecond. There are limits- yet despite real, human limits, look what Apple continues to do, year after year. Just sayin...

We start to take for granted what CAN happen and DOES happen - because we don't notice all that goes right. Like walking around with a computer in the palm of your hand - more powerful than all the computers combined that ran all the space shuttles. Seriously: each shuttle ran on four 386 computers - for those who remember 386s., You have more computing power in your car, in your house, in your office, and yes- in your pocket, in your iPhone.

Multiply by 9 million in launch weekend - and how many more thereafter. And Apple is way more than just iPhones- and all of Apple keeps working flawlessly before, during, and after a launch. And one can sit in their LaZBoy and watch their individual phone make it's way around the world -from factory to their door. And it will get there when they say it will. And within second of unboxing, with a few swipes, (still in the LaZBoy) - it will work. That's a lot going right, my friend.

Good luck- I do hope you have a 5s in hand soon!

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Patience is a must. I have still got a bit left. I guess no one else is frustrated except me.

No you're not the only one frustrated -- I'm frustrated too. I understand what they're up against but it still bothers me, and I don't think anyone has the right to tell me that it shouldn't bother me. As I've said before, I do wish the "available to ship" times would change to something more specific than "October." I can wait, and I will wait, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

Phantom028

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
As an Apple stock holder, I believe apple is doing just as I would like them to do. Its a critical balance between Supply and Demand. You over produce you kill demand. You way underproduce, you alienate and kill interest.

BTW... I'm still waiting for my Gold 32G AT&T. Ordered at 4:41 AM ET. on the 20th. Order still processing. Anyone order one around the same time have any news?

Thanks

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Even for Apple, there are PEOPLE making these phones - living in dorms, working long hours for wages we would scoff at, under conditions we would not accept for a nanosecond.

This is the best point in this whole thread. This is what is so easy to forget sometimes when you're so caught up in just wanting your phone. Thank you for that. :)

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You have to understand that they have workers making these nonstop, 24 hours a day. It's not like they are making a few and stopping. To make a product like this with the tight tolerances Apple products demand, it's gonna be a while.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Look at it this way: You're Apple, selling the iPhone. You have retailers, like Best Buy and Radio Shack, and you have carriers, both moving mountains of inventory... you also have your own retail stores. Moving mountains of inventory. Then, you have individual consumers, ordering through your website. You don't have enough inventory to cover all your bases. Who gets shorted? The big dogs moving millions of dollars of product? When their bottom line (and satisfaction) is dependent on your ability to supply? Because if they don't have it, their customers will go somewhere else. Or maybe your own retail stores? Or would you pick the lesser of all evils, and short the little individual purchasers buying one phone each and wanting them delivered straight to their doorstep?

It's business. Contracts with retail businesses and carriers are worth millions upon millions of dollars over many years. They aren't the sort of people you leave high and dry if you don't absolutely have to... and Apple Stores get shipments daily.

Short answer: The phones are out there. They are in high demand. People are going to great lengths and paying over retail to acquire them. Their money is no different than your money. If the phone isn't coming to you, go find one. If you won't, someone else will.

I spent probably 17 hours spread over two days on my lap top, repeatedly searching and refreshing the inventory page of any Apple store in a 100 mile radius... and when one popped up as "Available Today for in-store pickup" and it was in the size I wanted, I clicked "Buy" and drove to get it. Didn't care how far. Luckily it happened to be only 30 miles, but I would have gone farther if necessary.

I fully understand this. I also fully understand that the contracts were probably in place long ago for them to start adding specific carriers in along the way. The part i don't understand is how a massive company like Apple doesn't understand that they will sell out of devices and fulfilling the sales they've already made is good customer service (of course this is what makes them the most money, so I DO understand, it's the part that frustrates me). I'm personally locked in with buying from Sprint directly. Sprint changed some details in my contract apparently in the last 2 years and with my plan I'm not allowed to shop 3rd party (for the record, I'm saving $10 a month off their rack rate, so it's not like I'm on a cheap cheap legacy plan or anything). As a result, I'm at Apples mercy to ship a device to my local Sprint store where I'm on the reserve list.

So first world problems....... I fully get that and I'm fully aware how lucky I am. Does my getting a phone change Anything in my life? Nothing besides the joy I get out of the day to day use. Am I mad? No. Am I frustrated? Yeah. Will life go on? Sure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal