New 5S...drain battery before 1st charge?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just activated my 5s. Should I drain the battery completely before charging for the 1st time?

Last edited by a moderator:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to, but that's usually what I do. Mine had about 80% on it when it arrived, and I used it til it literally died. Then I charged it fully, and killed it dead again before charging it. Yesterday I was at an event and filmed a lot of long videos of q&a sessions so I killed it last night again, but I should be good on that for a few weeks I think.

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I actually charged mine straight out of the box. I don't think it really matters with today's battery technologies. However from what I've heard is it's not the best to keep the battery fully charged all the time, or running it dead all the time. Pretty much charge it at night while you sleep, then use it for the day and repeat should be fine.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I read that to about its not good to keeping it charged & running it dead. I just wanted so see what other people thought would be the best

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
go to battery university and read about lithium ion batteries. They do not like complete discharge or staying on charger at full. Also heat is worst enemy.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Lithium ion batteries don't take a set. That was older nickle cadmiums. Only reason to do a charge from 20% to 100% once a month is to reset the percentage meter on battery charge indicator. It gives a more accurate reading after a full cycle. The battery is not affected or in any way reset.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
So it doesn't dissipate over time? It seems like my 16GB 4s battery to go quicker since 7.0

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
With all my new phones I like to 'break in' the battery with a complete drain

Instagram: Jeryl31

It is not good to fully drain the battery. There is no break in. I wish people would stop believing that. Li-ion batteries are happy when they are kept charged.

imandroid

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I charge whenever it needs it sometimes at 30% sometimes 52% most of the time the phone charges so fast that it's not even an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

FBPD10

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I use a mophie juice pack air, I flip it on whenever it reaches 20% and only up too 80%. It takes double the energy to charge the last 20%. Then I plug it into my nightstand at the end of the night overnight each day

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You're really not going to get any legitimate battery performance enhancements by doing these charge cycle things...nor will you see any real improvement by draining your battery down before your first charge. It's all just mumbo jumbo that people have got into the habit of doing and passed it along as "helpful hints". None of them make a significant difference...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2