Iphone 5S sensor problems

dollabillwill

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing problems with their iphone 5S compass and level? Mine is off by a few degrees. I took it to Genius Bar and they offered to swap it out but all the replacements had the same problem too. They gave me a number to call and told me to check back with them once they get a different supply. There seems to be a problem with the sensors(gyro/inclinometer/accelerometer) in the phone. Hopefully they can come out with a software fix or fix the calibration on the newer iphone 5S's.

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing problems with their iphone 5S compass and level? Mine is off by a few degrees. I took it to Genius Bar and they offered to swap it out but all the replacements had the same problem too. They gave me a number to call and told me to check back with them once they get a different supply. There seems to be a problem with the sensors(gyro/inclinometer/accelerometer) in the phone. Hopefully they can come out with a software fix or fix the calibration on the newer iphone 5S's.

Yeah, my sensors are off as well. If I lay my 5s flat on a known level surface the level in the compass app says it's 2-3 degrees off. Also when I use the compass in the maps app, it seems to be off as well. It isn't quite accurate in pointing the direction I am facing.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I've read about this being an issue don't know if I have the problem. I would have to compare it with a dedicated level. I read this can be a problem for certain games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darrylyoung

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I took delivery of my 5s last night and immediately noticed the issues with the compass (and related sensors). The level is way off where my iPhone 5 (I still have it) is perfect. Also, I noticed a strange issue. If I double click the home button to view my open/running apps then tap the home screen, the icons seem to jump up a little as if they've been squashed. I tried the exact same thing on my iPhone 5 - both running 7.0.2 - and it's perfect. The issue lies with the 5s. I did a bit of research and it seems like there are quite a lot of people reporting this. At this stage it's hard to say whether it's a hardware or software issue but with all the other reported sensor issues I'm pretty worried.

jandrew1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
My level is off by 6 degrees on the 5S. I just call Apple support and they said
for now the phone would have to be replaced. First level (pun intended) support person knew nothing about it had to get his supervisor.
For now I'll just wait and see if there's a software update that can address this concern. Maybe at least a calibration that you can do yourself.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I just set mine as a level on my flat kitchen table, it is showing that it is off -2? ... Mine is bad too, hopefully this can be resolved with a software update.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I took delivery of my 5s last night and immediately noticed the issues with the compass (and related sensors). The level is way off where my iPhone 5 (I still have it) is perfect. Also, I noticed a strange issue. If I double click the home button to view my open/running apps then tap the home screen, the icons seem to jump up a little as if they've been squashed. I tried the exact same thing on my iPhone 5 - both running 7.0.2 - and it's perfect. The issue lies with the 5s. I did a bit of research and it seems like there are quite a lot of people reporting this. At this stage it's hard to say whether it's a hardware or software issue but with all the other reported sensor issues I'm pretty worried.

As far as the apps jumping a little I don't get that if I turn on reduce motion. As far as the compass and level it could be some sort of software recalibration. I'm not sure if the motion processor is used for these things. If so maybe the software can be tweaked for the motion processor. Or the motion processor could be bad. I'm not worried though. To my understanding the 5 doesn't have a motion processor.

dollabillwill

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
All the replacements at my apple store had the same problem. I'm hoping the m7 chip is reading the numbers from the sensors wrong and they can patch it through an update.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure I'm seeing the same thing here with the compass and inclinometer. From what it sounds like, most 5s' are having this problem. Plenty of tech blogs have reported this issue, so it's only a matter of time before Apple responds. I'm hoping it's a software issue as well. If not, it would reflect poorly on Apple...

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
No way will Apple admit this is an hardware issue. My guess is that they will try their best to solve it in the software level at first. At this point, it's pointless to get a replacement. Best to wait for Apple's response.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
oh my god. I was going to use the level to build my new house. Now i will have to wait. Recalling when I last used level or even compass on last three phone? Like never. I think I will not obsess over this just yet. Give Apple engineers s chance to look into it.

JSHidaka

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Apple could let us recalibrate it, like they let us reset some music settings in iOS 7 beta.

Now IF, it is a hardware issue, apple will have hard time replacing over 7,000,000 iphones 5S...

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I wager that the level and compass will get more use over next ten days than over entire history of all iphones.

So like over 5 million plus 5s phones sold and two weeks use someone finally noticed the error. It's like that tiny blemish on your face that's been there for weeks. Once you notice it, that's all you see each time you look in mirror.

Maybe plot to keep 5s in the news. Give droid trolls fuel for declaring doom of Apple. Remember it's only paranoia if it's not true.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I posted the links above to show that the compass on iPhones past and even Samsung phones have had a issues. So it's not exclusive to the 5s. A Gizmodo article would lead one to believe the the M7 motion processor is totally screwed up I'm not sure that's the case.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I've ever even opened the Compass app. A small level is a pretty basic part of any toolkit, so I'm not sure why I'd use my phone over the real thing.

True that. There are articles on the net saying don't do your DIY project with the 5s level. Really? I'm not going to use a phone level to build cabinets just like I wouldn't get a smart phone made by Stanley Tools.

itsmemuffins

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
To those people saying that they would never use the phone to build stuff. You're missing the point. It affects any app that uses the sensors.

Just checked my 5s against my wife's 4s. On the flat the 4s is showing -1 and the 5s is -2. On the long and short the 4s is 0 and the 5s is -1.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
To those people saying that they would never use the phone to build stuff. You're missing the point. It affects any app that uses the sensors.

Just checked my 5s against my wife's 4s. On the flat the 4s is showing -1 and the 5s is -2. On the long and short the 4s is 0 and the 5s is -1.

This link is from 2009.

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-4/176031-compass-not-so-accurate.html

Gizmodo does a test with the game Real Racing 3. They indicate that holding the 5S on a level surface will cause the the car to steer left. They didn't mention that the sensitivity of the accelerometer can be adjusted in Real Racing and that I believe can produce results that they came up with. I downloaded Real Racing, it's a free app. Adjusted the setting for sensitivity and the app worked fine for using the accelerometer for steering the car.

Last edited:

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
affecting games is nonsense. Don't nelieve anyone playa games with phone sitting on table. When you play you steer with phone in hand. I never get sense the car is veering off to one side. It's a feedback loop between what your eyes see on screen and tilting your hands. Until someone tested the phone sitting, i never even noticed the discrepancy. Oh and we DO get the point. Which is in practical terms it affects mothing we actually use the phone for. Apple will sort it out. As long as the rate change is accurate a simple a simple software calibration routine would allow initial setting to zero. My 4s mever had compass pointing same as my real compass, was off a couple, three degrees. Was still able to tell North from South.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen