Buying an iPhone 5s in New York

thomaaas

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

In November I'm going to New York City for 4 days (I'm from Belgium) and I'm planning on buying the new iPhone 5s while I'm there. Is it possible to buy an unlocked iPhone 5s and will it work with my European Sim card? If so, can I just buy an unlocked one in the Apple Store or somewhere else?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It is possible, as long as it's in stock. My understanding is that all three (AT&T, T-Mo, Verizon) should all work when unlocked. I would choose either the Verizon or T-Mobile models, as they are always sim-unlocked.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...good luck at any of the Apple stores in the city...that 5th Ave store is one of the more popular ones because it has a beautiful entry way made of glass, it was a cool experience. I also liked the grand central station one...those were the two I visited when me and my wife were in Manhattan earlier this year.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks! Should I go to a Tmobile or Verizon store or just the Apple Store on 5th avenue?

All the Apple stores in NYC are nice, but if you could only visit one, it's gotta be the Cube on 5th ave. It's the flagship store, & it's open 24/7.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I was in NYC last weekend, and the Apple store in Grand Central had plenty oif phones, and the cub on 5th avenue had none unless you lined up 2 hours before the store opened. I got oe at Grand Central.

thomaaas

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks! But I don't really get that list, Belgium is listed under the Model A1429 (GSM model) while there's no American network that has that model...

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Def go to the flagship store on fifth ave. Top notch service, open 24/7, and the layout is very cool. I bypassed the apple stores in Long Island just for this one. Applecare, 5s, and 5c owner here, and they did not disappoint. I have been five times since 9/20 and never waited more than 30mins to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Def go to the flagship store on fifth ave. Top notch service, open 24/7, and the layout is very cool. I bypassed the apple stores in Long Island just for this one. Applecare, 5s, and 5c owner here, and they did not disappoint. I have been five times since 9/20 and never waited more than 30mins to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

30 minutes nice! Everytime I go in my area it's at least a hr wait.

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
First you gotta Check with your Belgium career which lte band they support. Cos 5s supports lot of lte bands not like ip5.

As an example, all the lte bands used in the Asian region is now supported by iPhone 5s US version.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Fifth Ave store never closes either, might wanna go there

but yeah, make sure the GSM Bands work w the certain version

good luck finding one!

thomaaas

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thx guys for all the info!

I just checked and my Belgian carrier supports the 1800 and 2600 MHz LTE, that is band 3 and 7. So any iPhone in the US that supports those bands will work with my Belgian SIM Card? So for instance I see that T-Mobile supports band 3 (1800 MHz) on the iPhone 5s model 1533 (GSM) so if I would buy that model, it should work? Sorry for all my stupid questions, just wanna make sure I buy the right iPhone!

thomaaas

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Next week I'm leaving to NY and one last question to make sure: at the Apple Store, should I ask for an unlocked iPhone or a device only iPhone? Cause I've different opinions on the aplle support community.

MissJona

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey, ik ben ook van Belgi?,

Welke iphone heb je uiteindelijk gekocht en heb je problemen gehad bij de douane? Ik wil namelijk ook een iphone 5S in New York kopen binnenkort :)

thx!