Back when Google announced that they'd be dropping Activesync support, I was pretty upset. I even switched to Live mail for a time and it was pretty good. However, I switch phones pretty regularly and when you use an Android phone, it doesn't make sense to use anything else for mail, especially with all the great Google Now innovations.

When I restored my iPad 3, it let me keep my exchange account, probably because the device ID was already authorized on Google's servers. I was hoping when I got my iPhone 5s that it would let me keep the Activesync account from my iPhone 5 when I restored it. It didn't.

The Gmail app is great and I get my notifications right away. However, I really like iOS's mail app and would have loved to keep all of my mail in one place. IMAP simply isn't fast enough for my primary account. I have tested it and it sometimes takes 15 minutes (sometimes longer) for new mail to come in.

I'm aware of all of the workarounds (forwarding to Live or iCloud, etc), but it's just not the same. I really miss the days of Gmail Activesync support on all of my devices, especially my iOS devices.
    10-03-2013 02:10 PM
    I dumped Gmail 5 months ago and have not looked back....
    10-03-2013 02:13 PM
    Rant at Google. They did it.
    RollTideFanGrl likes this.
    10-03-2013 02:13 PM
    Exactly. Google is running some non-standard IMAP for something. Other providers like Yahoo are also setup to use IMAP and they support push. So rant at Google.
    10-03-2013 03:33 PM
    Meh - I switched to the default Gmail setup a while ago knowing I was going to forced to stop using Exchange with my new 5S and it works fine for my needs on a 15-minute fetch schedule. And now that they added contacts sync so I don't have to add a CardDAV account I'm good to go. My work account is a Gmail backbone too so I'm all in. I can't use the Gmail app because it doesn't have a unified inbox -- there's my mini-rant if I had one...
    10-03-2013 03:40 PM
    If you paid for the product you would have a legitimate issue. Gmail is free.

Sent from somewhere.
    10-03-2013 04:08 PM
    That's one of the reasons I went back to my iphone 5 from the 5S. Still have exchange gmail going on it. One of these days I'll have to change to something else but it's not today..
    10-03-2013 04:10 PM
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    10-03-2013 05:18 PM
    For anyone that needs it this badly, you can simply pay the annual fee for a Google Apps account, which does support push mail among other features. Great service!
    10-03-2013 05:23 PM
    With the way things are going between Apple and Google, I wonder when the services will not be combatable altogether. I know currently Google makes a lot of money off of iOS users, However at some point as android becomes more and more used, i wonder if they'll cut us off.
    10-03-2013 06:06 PM
    Google will never sever ties with the user base or the apps/software that you see on other devices...it's their main source of income.
    10-03-2013 07:01 PM
    Better try outlook.com, Gmail and Google are steadily fortifying their proprietary standards as they have gained massive userbase with Gmail and Android, they can afford to lose few users as it won't make a big difference now.
    10-04-2013 12:18 AM
    Back when Google announced that they'd be dropping Activesync support, I was pretty upset. I even switched to Live mail for a time and it was pretty good. However, I switch phones pretty regularly and when you use an Android phone, it doesn't make sense to use anything else for mail, especially with all the great Google Now innovations.

When I restored my iPad 3, it let me keep my exchange account, probably because the device ID was already authorized on Google's servers. I was hoping when I got my iPhone 5s that it would let me keep the Activesync account from my iPhone 5 when I restored it. It didn't.

The Gmail app is great and I get my notifications right away. However, I really like iOS's mail app and would have loved to keep all of my mail in one place. IMAP simply isn't fast enough for my primary account. I have tested it and it sometimes takes 15 minutes (sometimes longer) for new mail to come in.

I'm aware of all of the workarounds (forwarding to Live or iCloud, etc), but it's just not the same. I really miss the days of Gmail Activesync support on all of my devices, especially my iOS devices.
    You can try nuevasync.com. $30 a year with a 10 day free trial. I tried it for a few days and it work great but decided to go with @outlook & @iCloud instead of paying.
    02-05-2014 11:32 AM