Hey Guys!

I've been a HP/Palm user up until now, and its time to jump ship to iPhone!

I'm trying to figure how how and where to buy an iPhone 5S.
    I live in Australia at the moment, but will be moving to live in the United States in January. Because of this I'd like to get an unlocked phone...plus I've always seemed to get unlocked phones as a matter of habit (tell me if I should just get one on contract..)

An unlocked iPhone 5S 64GB in Australia costs $1129, and in USA it costs $849 (T-Mobile Unlocked).
    I'm hoping to use it for a little while here in Australia before I move to America as my current phone a HP-Pre 3 is not cutting it for me anymore. I've been told the bands in an AUS iphone aren't the same as American ones, and I'd want to use 4G when i get to the states.

Anyone know when the T-Mobile unlocked iPhone will be available? I have a friend in the US who can post it to me. Is this a good idea? Or is getting an unlocked phone pointless and I should just wait till I get to the US to sign up for a full contract with one of the big carriers?

I appreciate anyone's help!

Thanks so much,

Gavin
    10-03-2013 03:59 AM
    I would say get an unlocked one now and then you'll have the choice between T-Mobile and AT&T (and possibly others) when you get to the states. The bands should all be the same in each phone because I believe Apple did the one-phone-to-work-anywhere thing. Double check by Googling but I think this is correct. If your friend with send it to you I think it is a no-brainer.
    Editor02 likes this.
    10-03-2013 08:36 AM
    I would say get an unlocked one now and then you'll have the choice between T-Mobile and AT&T (and possibly others) when you get to the states. The bands should all be the same in each phone because I believe Apple did the one-phone-to-work-anywhere thing. Double check by Googling but I think this is correct. If your friend with send it to you I think it is a no-brainer.
    So you reckon an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone? Any idea when they'll be available? It says shipping "October"...very broad thanks Apple! lol
    If I get a chance I'll head into the local Apple store and ask them if the bands will be compatible. My understanding is the phone CAN be used on any network, but to get 4G its another ball game.
    10-03-2013 08:45 AM
    This post from Irish Rose May help.

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5s/26...s-works-t.html
    Last edited by iEd; 10-03-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Eileen89 and Editor02 like this.
    10-03-2013 08:49 AM
    This post from Irish Rose May help.

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5s/26...s-works-t.html
    Wow thanks for sharing that! That's awesome!
    Where do I get a verizon iPhone from then? Apple.com? Or should I ask my friend to go into a Verizon shop and get one? And aren't they stuck to contracts?

Terribly sorry for my lack of knowledge, the AUS system is slightly different to the USA system I think.
    10-03-2013 09:23 AM
    Wow thanks for sharing that! That's awesome!
    Where do I get a verizon iPhone from then? Apple.com? Or should I ask my friend to go into a Verizon shop and get one? And aren't they stuck to contracts?

Terribly sorry for my lack of knowledge, the AUS system is slightly different to the USA system I think.
    Your friend can buy it from a Verizon store for the full retail price without a contract to my understanding. I guess it can be bought at a Apple store full retail also a a Verizon version.
    Editor02 likes this.
    10-03-2013 09:38 AM
    Your friend can buy it from a Verizon store for the full retail price without a contract to my understanding. I guess it can be bought at a Apple store full retail also a a Verizon version.
    Neat! That's really great! So that means $849 ish for the 64GB?

And I've heard that Apple is out of stock now, is that true? Meaning a week or two till my friend can walk into a Verizon store for me and actually come out with a device?

EDIT:// Thoughts on something like this? eBay Verizon iPhone 5S 64GB Silver Would it work?
    Last edited by Editor02; 10-03-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    10-03-2013 10:07 AM

And I've heard that Apple is out of stock now, is that true? Meaning a week or two till my friend can walk into a Verizon store for me and actually come out with a device?
    Yes $849 64gig no contract
    It's possible that a Verizon store may have a few in stock more than likely a Space Grey model. I would have your friend call the local Verizon store and ask when they will be getting them in. I've read on here that folks are expecting orders from a few weeks ago mid to late October.
    10-03-2013 10:17 AM

EDIT:// Thoughts on something like this? eBay Verizon iPhone 5S 64GB Silver Would it work?
    The seller does mention that LTE sim not included. So you would have to get a sim from Verizon. I'm not sure what getting a Verizon SIM card entails. Irish Rose would know. Maybe she will reply to this post.
    10-03-2013 10:30 AM
    The seller does mention that LTE sim not included. So you would have to get a sim from Verizon. I'm not sure what getting a Verizon SIM card entails. Irish Rose would know. Maybe she will reply to this post.
    Do you need a SIM from Verizon to unlock it?
    Also, I'll see if my mate can ask Verizon
    10-03-2013 08:02 PM
    Well you need the SIM for phone service. From what I read here on the site a unlocked Verizon iPhone will work with a ATT Sim or a TMobile Sim.
    You see I have a Sprint iPhone and it's locked to Sprint.
    ATT has unlocked iPhones but they have to unlock it from what I understand. TMobiles iPhones are unlocked but I'm not sure if they work with ATT and Verizon.
    I would ask the seller on EBay the particulars of that phone.

From what I just read on another thread Verizon and Tmobile iPhones are SIM unlocked. So the Verizon iPhone you saw on eBay must be unlocked you just need a SIM for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by iEd; 10-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    10-03-2013 08:54 PM
    You do not need a Verizon SIM card to unlock it, as it will come unlocked out of the box. You also don't need a Verizon SIM card unless you plan on having service with them. Simply pop in your own carriers SIM card into the Verizon 5S and follow the onscreen activation process. This is all I did with my Verizon 5S on AT&T.
    10-03-2013 10:26 PM
    Well you need the SIM for phone service. From what I read here on the site a unlocked Verizon iPhone will work with a ATT Sim or a TMobile Sim.
    You see I have a Sprint iPhone and it's locked to Sprint.
    ATT has unlocked iPhones but they have to unlock it from what I understand. TMobiles iPhones are unlocked but I'm not sure if they work with ATT and Verizon.
    I would ask the seller on EBay the particulars of that phone.

From what I just read on another thread Verizon and Tmobile iPhones are SIM unlocked. So the Verizon iPhone you saw on eBay must be unlocked you just need a SIM for service. Yes, that Verizon 5S in that eBay listing is definitely unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The T-Mobile iPhones that are sold at Apple are unlocked. However, the 5S that is sold in T-Mobile corporate stores are locked and can only be unlocked after having completed 40 days of service with T-Mobile.
    10-03-2013 10:31 PM