Random Reboots

bboykin87

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced random reboots on their 5S. I have had it happen doing different things, from send messages in iMessage as well as in some apps and even on the home screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
when you setup your phone, did you do restore from icloud/itunes or setup as new?

might need to restore and setup as new then restore your information from backup then

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning OFF the device, wait 30 seconds or so and then turning it back on? Yu can also try resetting the network settings.

bboykin87

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I setup as new as this is my first iPhone and I didn't want to restore from my iPod iCloud backup. I've reset the device a few times but never let it stay off for 30 seconds I'll try that if it reboots again. Just wondering if I should take it back to get it swapped out. I've had about 4 or 5 since I got the phone last Thursday.

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
hmmmm. if you set it up as a new iPhone and it's doing that

could be something wrong with the phone. kinda hard to tell, especially if you set up as new

shouldn't be having that issue, thats for sure.

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
you can also try a force reboot; if you hold power and the home button together for a few seconds till the phone turns off, then push the power button to reboot

might help

also, go into settings, and go to general, reset, reset all settings. thats fixing some random issues with iOS 7 as well

keep me updated!
hope that helps

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I setup as new as this is my first iPhone and I didn't want to restore from my iPod iCloud backup. I've reset the device a few times but never let it stay off for 30 seconds I'll try that if it reboots again. Just wondering if I should take it back to get it swapped out. I've had about 4 or 5 since I got the phone last Thursday.

Before you take it back, try the following because it is possible that you may have a corrupted iOS version.

1. If you have iCloud, do an iCloud backup. Afterwards, back up your device via iTunes on your computer.
2. Locate the ipsw file for your iPhone on your computer and then move it to the trash bin.
3. Put your device in DFU Mode
4. iTunes will indicate that it has detected your device in recovery mode.
5. Select to restore and update the device. This will cause iTunes to download and install a fresh copy of iOS 7.0.2.
6. When the installation is complete, set up your device as new and not from a backup, just in case the problem you were having is due to a faulty settings of some sort.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure it's not just respringing? I have had it happen a couple times at random. I have noticed that it tends to occur with older software (sometimes with tapatalk pro) .. I'm not too worried about it, the hardware and software are so new that there are bound to be some bugs here and there.

bboykin87

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure it's not just respringing? I have had it happen a couple times at random. I have noticed that it tends to occur with older software (sometimes with tapatalk pro) .. I'm not too worried about it, the hardware and software are so new that there are bound to be some bugs here and there.

Actually that's exactly what's happening, wasn't sure of the term as this is my first iPhone and my iPod or iPad haven't done this before at least I haven't noticed it. I've had it happen in native apps as well.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I never close anything. Just let the system do it when needed. Most of those programs in the card view are not actually running. I've had one or two reboots since installing the GM.

That could be the reason why you are having these reboots. You may need to close your apps. Or restore your phone.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Karen, in another thread that is similar people have tried restoring as new or they set-up as new and it still happens. I believe that it is something that can be fixed with an update because it never happened on my 4s in two years. It probably has something to do with new code and new processor architecture, I am not a coder but it may take awhile for them to see which of the millions of lines of code the bug is in and fix it/them.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
After reading today's article on iMore about the Blue Screen of Death, I tried opening a Pages document on my 5s (something I have not done since getting it on launch day). I clicked the Home button to get out of the app and, yup, I got the blue screen for a second. Then the 5s rebooted.

Another problem I've been having is with the voicemail: the phone app has been showing voicemails with "0:00," i.e., nothing in them. Suspicious, I rebooted the phone and then the voicemail apparently downloaded the message. This is very annoying: I cannot afford to miss important business voicemails!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That could be the reason why you are having these reboots. You may need to close your apps. Or restore your phone.

Closing the apps is a myth that was told long ago even before ios 7 ios is programmed to manage memory and free memory of apps that are not In use .. If you search there was a good article about it a while back that actually proved that it is doing what it is supposed to.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
After reading today's article on iMore about the Blue Screen of Death, I tried opening a Pages document on my 5s (something I have not done since getting it on launch day). I clicked the Home button to get out of the app and, yup, I got the blue screen for a second. Then the 5s rebooted.

Another problem I've been having is with the voicemail: the phone app has been showing voicemails with "0:00," i.e., nothing in them. Suspicious, I rebooted the phone and then the voicemail apparently downloaded the message. This is very annoying: I cannot afford to miss important business voicemails!

I get it too when using pages app .. It's def a bug vs bad hardware

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I always close my apps, and I got the little springboard crash yesterday trying to delete a text. I haven't thankfully had one since and that was my first one. I close them not for memory but bec of battery. No need for them to run if I am not actively using them. The only app I usually ever leave running is messaging.

I have not used Numbers or Pages, but because of that, I won't probably try them now with that blue screen thing.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
People are getting confused... They are NOT running......

In a nut shell it's more cosmetic then anything.......

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73