I purchased an iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray (GSM) AT&T model at full price of US$849. I had hoped that unlocked phones would be available but was told not yet. I figured that with the 30 day return policy I could exchange it when unlocked models were available.

Out of curiosity I decided to use Check IMEI - IMEI.info to see if it confirms that my phone is indeed locked. The web site surprised me by saying the phone was unlocked. I then got the bright idea to test this by using a T-Mobile SIM which I did not have. I ended up at SIM Card details from T-Mobile and found that T-Mobile would send me a Pay As You Go SIM for 0.99, $1.05 with tax. I put it in my phone a little while ago and it happily displayed the T-Mobile logo up in the corner.

Since I am doing some international travel in November and December this is great news.

SteveP
    09-30-2013 07:54 PM
    I purchased an iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray (GSM) AT&T model at full price of US$849. I had hoped that unlocked phones would be available but was told not yet. I figured that with the 30 day return policy I could exchange it when unlocked models were available.

Out of curiosity I decided to use Check IMEI - IMEI.info to see if it confirms that my phone is indeed locked. The web site surprised me by saying the phone was unlocked. I then got the bright idea to test this by using a T-Mobile SIM which I did not have. I ended up at SIM Card details from T-Mobile and found that T-Mobile would send me a Pay As You Go SIM for 0.99, $1.05 with tax. I put it in my phone a little while ago and it happily displayed the T-Mobile logo up in the corner.

Since I am doing some international travel in November and December this is great news.

SteveP
    Cool good to know that the AT&T model is also unlocked.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    09-30-2013 08:03 PM
    AT&T model usually is always unlocked long as you don't activate it on AT&T. Once you activate it, it's locked to them. I've been using T-Mobile with the iPhone since the 2G. I've owned every model, and it's been the same. Glad to know they haven't changed.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    09-30-2013 08:11 PM
    My phone was activated on AT&T when I picked it up.
    09-30-2013 08:23 PM
    I've read as long as you purchase the AT&T model at full price from an Apple store, then it's unlocked.
    M.Rizk and LCW like this.
    09-30-2013 08:52 PM
    My phone was activated on AT&T when I picked it up.
    Hey a happy story and good for you. Congrats!
    09-30-2013 09:12 PM
    I've read as long as you purchase the AT&T model at full price from an Apple store, then it's unlocked.
    That's what Apple Store reps told me too back in June when I was thinking about getting an iPhone 5.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    10-01-2013 02:49 AM
    bought my at&t full price at best buy and it's unlocked as well

good to know though

had to check that website, wasn't sure what it would pull up as
    10-01-2013 02:42 PM
    This is pretty much the case.

I paid full retail yesterday for one that was for AT&T but knew damn well it wouldn't be locked. Connected to iTunes with my AT&T sim, and boom, it was unlocked.
    10-01-2013 02:45 PM
    Aren't full retail phones always unlocked? I would have been surprised if it weren't.
    10-01-2013 07:48 PM
    Aren't full retail phones always unlocked? I would have been surprised if it weren't.
    I thought so too .. Anyone who didn't pay full retail happen to get a phone unlocked ?
    10-01-2013 08:13 PM