Why does enabling the fingerprint ID require that you "require password" immediatley in Settings?

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
Why does enabling the fingerprint ID require that you "require password" immediatley in Settings?

I dont understand the logic of requiring password immediately when using the fingerprint ID.

I normally had mine set to every 15 minutes. Does anyone know why they require this? Thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why does enabling the fingerprint ID require that you "require password" immediatley in Settings

Any ol' anonymous person could pick up your phone and use it if it didn't require immediate authentication via the fingerprint or entering a pass code.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
Re: Why does enabling the fingerprint ID require that you "require password" immediatley in Settings

Any ol' anonymous person could pick up your phone and use it if it didn't require immediate authentication via the fingerprint or entering a pass code.

The way I have it setup, anyone can pick up my phone within 15 minutes and use my phone if I only use a passcode. That is how I have it set. I understand that risk. Why does apple force immediate lock out if I use the fingerprint option though? Why not allow the numerous options that using a passcode only offers?

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

I suppose they could have other options. However I think they think that the fingerprint scanner is quick enough that it can require it all the time without being an annoyance.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site

I suppose they could have other options. However I think they think that the fingerprint scanner is quick enough that it can require it all the time without being an annoyance.
Its an extra second or two. It annoyed me from the begining. Maybe I'm the only one though. If you happen to be using it a lot and putting it into standby often, it is noticeable. Especailly, when you are used to a 15 minute buffer, or similar. I would just think they'd give you the option.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site

While I still don't understand why Apple doesn't give you options for lockout times when using the fingerprint ID, I did find a quicker way to unlock. Most people already knew this but, on the lock screen, when is says slide to unlock, you don't need to. You can simply use your fingerprint on that screen and don't have to slide to the numeric keypad for password or fingerprint entry. It is not obvious from the text on the screen, but it is the case.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

lol...I love this.

So Apple provides extra layers of security and people complain.

Then...there are reports that any single layer of the security has been by passed so people complain that the phone should be more secured.

People...we're talking your settings on the phone, quit complaining over taking 1 second at most to put a code in. The only optimal way to secure something is with multiple layers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner