After some quality time with the 5S...one man's official review...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Since release day, I've had 2 iPhone 5S's. Not for any problem, I just happened to get lucky enough to get two gold models, the first of which I sold, the second I'm seriously thinking about keeping unless I get some incredible offer. I've put a solid week of use in between these two phones...pictures, usage, phone calls, messages, testing the new security features, and I truly feel I've had enough time with this phone to come to a fair judgement on it, which is...

The iPhone 5S is a staggeringly good phone.

- The camera is phenomenal. I didn't give it a fair chance over my first weekend. This past weekend I really put it to work, and it's just incredible. The low light function, the burst mode, the video camera (and still capture from such), and the hardware itself is just one of the best in the business. The seemingly "small" changes made were HUGE, and this phone finally rivals what I saw out of the Lumia phones. Is it THAT good in all areas? Not yet, the zoom feature is not quite up to par...but EVERYTHING else is on the level...white balance is adjusted, lighting adjustments are really improved, features are upgraded and all of this comes on a camera on a smart phone that was already top notch.

- The finger print scanner is pretty damn awesome. I can't lie...initially it was annoying that people wanted to mess with it so much and see how it worked, but that was the first DAY I had it, after that, when no one but me is using it, the finger print scanner really REALLY works well, it's fast, it's a nice combination to the other security features that are offered, and while as a stand alone function it might be easily by-passed by geeks in a room who pull some mission impossible sh*t to replicate your finger print, when I grab my phone and place my thumb on it in pretty much any direction that comes naturally and the phone unlocks with almost no effort AND is secured...that's AWESOME.

- The phone is snappy. It processes fast, it loads fast, it plays games fast, it takes pictures fast, it does EVERYTHING FAST. The iPhone 5S is a FAST smart phone. 6-8 months from now when you see a new Samsung or HTC phone hit the streets, will this phone hold it's own with those new devices? Yes...yes it will. Apple takes less and gives more. They do this every year. The 5S has a powerhouse engine inside, and it's running multiple brains, so there's never a bottle neck, there's never a time where this phone chokes on the technology it's being asked to use, and because of that, because of the features this thing is chalk full of, I'm amazed at this damn thing!

I figured out a really good summary of the iPhone 5S. And I guess it really DEFINES the "S" model lines...only this time, it fits that definition so well, so perfectly...this is a SUPERCHARGED iPhone 5. This is an iPhone 5 that has been juicing for a year and came out of the gym looking like a hulk. It's fast, it's beautiful, it's useful, it's easy to use but full of features. It's a powerhouse. It's familiar friend who is breaking out with amazing new talent. The iPhone 5 is an incredible phone, the iPhone 5S is more. MORE incredible.

It's an amazing device. It's worth every penny of an upgrade. There's nothing to regret about the experience or purchase. It really is that good.

TL;DR - The iPhone 5S is a brilliant device. Better in all ways but familiar at the same time. It is the definition of the "S" variant. A truly juiced up iPhone 5.

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree. The slow mo feature is so awesome. I filmed a few vids of my buds during our pickup games yesterday and they were in true awe of how amazing it looked!

Camera is definitely awesome, and touch ID is way more useful and functionally sound than I expected.

The hardest part wasn't deciding if keeping the upgrade was worth it, but what color to get!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If I had not already owned an iPhone and was looking for one or to decide on changing from my 4S to 5S which I am doing ( 5S on order through Apple) and this was the only thread I read looking for an unbiased but solid assessment of the true iPhone 5S and I happen to know the person who wrote this but if I did not, This Would make me pick up the phone, Call Apple and order one, Go to my carrier or an Apple store if they have stock and buy one right away. Bravo for a very good and fair write up from someone who has put the phone through the paces that count that one should look at when buying a new phone - Especially an iPhone!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, Sean... I have to agree... the camera, fingerprint reader and, well, the whole phone, is pretty awesome...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Awesome write up as always sir!!

I haven't had much experience with the camera as I don't take hardly any pictures with my phones but I have to say Touch ID is freaking sick!! Just like you said it works every time fast and accurately. Can't wait till Apple opens up the API for this bad boy so we can use for stuff like bank apps and digital wallets or even passbook so we can store credit cards. Me thinks NFC next year as Touch ID seems to be laying the ground work for such a feature.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Since release day, I've had 2 iPhone 5S's. Not for any problem, I just happened to get lucky enough to get two gold models, the first of which I sold, the second I'm seriously thinking about keeping unless I get some incredible offer. I've put a solid week of use in between these two phones...pictures, usage, phone calls, messages, testing the new security features, and I truly feel I've had enough time with this phone to come to a fair judgement on it, which is...

The iPhone 5S is a staggeringly good phone.

- The camera is phenomenal. I didn't give it a fair chance over my first weekend. This past weekend I really put it to work, and it's just incredible. The low light function, the burst mode, the video camera (and still capture from such), and the hardware itself is just one of the best in the business. The seemingly "small" changes made were HUGE, and this phone finally rivals what I saw out of the Lumia phones. Is it THAT good in all areas? Not yet, the zoom feature is not quite up to par...but EVERYTHING else is on the level...white balance is adjusted, lighting adjustments are really improved, features are upgraded and all of this comes on a camera on a smart phone that was already top notch.

- The finger print scanner is pretty damn awesome. I can't lie...initially it was annoying that people wanted to mess with it so much and see how it worked, but that was the first DAY I had it, after that, when no one but me is using it, the finger print scanner really REALLY works well, it's fast, it's a nice combination to the other security features that are offered, and while as a stand alone function it might be easily by-passed by geeks in a room who pull some mission impossible sh*t to replicate your finger print, when I grab my phone and place my thumb on it in pretty much any direction that comes naturally and the phone unlocks with almost no effort AND is secured...that's AWESOME.

- The phone is snappy. It processes fast, it loads fast, it plays games fast, it takes pictures fast, it does EVERYTHING FAST. The iPhone 5S is a FAST smart phone. 6-8 months from now when you see a new Samsung or HTC phone hit the streets, will this phone hold it's own with those new devices? Yes...yes it will. Apple takes less and gives more. They do this every year. The 5S has a powerhouse engine inside, and it's running multiple brains, so there's never a bottle neck, there's never a time where this phone chokes on the technology it's being asked to use, and because of that, because of the features this thing is chalk full of, I'm amazed at this damn thing!

I figured out a really good summary of the iPhone 5S. And I guess it really DEFINES the "S" model lines...only this time, it fits that definition so well, so perfectly...this is a SUPERCHARGED iPhone 5. This is an iPhone 5 that has been juicing for a year and came out of the gym looking like a hulk. It's fast, it's beautiful, it's useful, it's easy to use but full of features. It's a powerhouse. It's familiar friend who is breaking out with amazing new talent. The iPhone 5 is an incredible phone, the iPhone 5S is more. MORE incredible.

It's an amazing device. It's worth every penny of an upgrade. There's nothing to regret about the experience or purchase. It really is that good.

TL;DR - The iPhone 5S is a brilliant device. Better in all ways but familiar at the same time. It is the definition of the "S" variant. A truly juiced up iPhone 5.

We'll said and emphasised. I agree with you. The iPhone
5s is a well polished iPhone 5. It's not a major upgrade like the 3GS to the 4, but it's worth upgrading. The deal breaker was the improved graphics and the a7 processor. The finger prints scanner rocks, it's been done before but not " efficiently". Apple is good at doing things efficiently.
I got rid of my 5s silver 64 gig to get the gold one instead. Apple refunded me my money and all I'm gonna do now is wait till it ships, it could be months, days weeks. As long as I get what I REALLY want I'm good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Day by day I realize more and more that this finger print scanner will become the new "norm"...it has to, it's that good. They'll need to perfect the security that surrounds not being able to hack it so easily, but honestly, is it really that easy? Is stripping a finger print off glass and being able to use it to mimic someone's own print an easy feat? They still put that stuff in Bond movies, so I'm going to go with NO...lol!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Day by day I realize more and more that this finger print scanner will become the new "norm"...it has to, it's that good. They'll need to perfect the security that surrounds not being able to hack it so easily, but honestly, is it really that easy? Is stripping a finger print off glass and being able to use it to mimic someone's own print an easy feat? They still put that stuff in Bond movies, so I'm going to go with NO...lol!

What average crook is smart enough to do that? Takes time and resources most of them don't have.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

bloodspun

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for making me an my poor 5c feel even worse. I just want one even more badly and couldn't afford the extra 100-150$. ;;

/rolls away.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Really good write up, but I had my mind made up about staying with the 5, darn it, now I'm rethinking it,lol

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Old age sucks, eh?

I agree with Sean completely. I love this thing. It's noticeably faster than my 5 was, and the camera is killer.
The fingerprint reader is a mixed bag for me. It usually takes two tries to read my thumb.

mrluky60

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
yes i agree totaly, I had called every t-moble store in my area and know one had the 5s , sold out. called apple store,sold out. So i was in down boston looking around and saw a line outside of a t-moble store, i asked what were they in line for , there were three people there. he said they had the 5s only in space grey. Your kidding i said. then the door opens and they call all four of us in. I was not in line but i joined in they took us right away. They only had the space grey at 32gb.I said visa or master card. what luck.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Great write up!!! I haven't had a chance to test out the camera fully but I'll definitely make it a point to check it out. You just made me excited all over again:D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods