Should I return my 5 for 5s?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
To me it really isn't plastic, it is almost like a pressurized rubber. Further more I always use a case. It has a feel of if you drop it, it will bounce.

I have a Speck Product case on it. When the Otterbox Defender is released/available I'll get one. I typically have Otterbox on all my devices...

Are you bothered at all by the plastic case?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If someone posed the question "should I use my only upgrade, or pay money to buy outright, the 5S if I am coming from an iphone 5" I would say no. I would say hold onto that upgrade, or save that money, and continue enjoying the iphone 5.

But if someone is asking, "should I use my upgrade or new line to buy the 5, or the 5S, as I am not a current owner of either" I would say get the 5S. Particularly if a) the money is there and b) you plan on holding onto the phone for 2 years. The A7 processor will likely be a key when you go to load IOS 8 and IOS9 onto the device. You will be getting slightly, and I mean slightly, better battery life. Slightly better camera. M7 processor. 64bit chip which may come into play down the road. All around, it is a better phone. Plus, you may see better resale value at the end of the two years for the 5S vs. the 5.

Good luck and either way, enjoy the phone you decide on.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I won't upgrade to "S" devices. Though there is a better battery, fingerprint protection etc. I will be waiting for the iPhone 6. Then when the 6S comes out, you think I'll be upgrading? You guessed right. Nope. Just my opinion though. Return that 5 and get a 5S if that's what you wanna do. Not downing the 5S at all, just don't see a reason to upgrade when I'm happy and content.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I won't upgrade to "S" devices. Though there is a better battery, fingerprint protection etc. I will be waiting for the iPhone 6. Then when the 6S comes out, you think I'll be upgrading? You guessed right. Nope. Just my opinion though. Return that 5 and get a 5S if that's what you wanna do. Not downing the 5S at all, just don't see a reason to upgrade when I'm happy and content.

if the iPhone 5 is on iOS 6 it is worth to keep.

iOS 7 slows performance.

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat last week. Figured I would save money by getting the 5s now and it still being relevant a year from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My opinion has always been to get the best phone that you can afford at the time of the upgrade. The cost of the phone is peanuts compared to the monthly service contract. With Android, it's easy to see examples where people purchase heavily discounted phones on contract, only to find out they have no support 6-12 months later.

With that said, Apple has a great history of updating older devices. I would bet they are still supporting the Iphone 5 when your next 2 year upgrade comes up.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head mate. The iphone 5 would last at least another 2 years or so and will probably support ios 8,9. That one good thing about apple. Android lack this. That's why I upgrade every year, to enjoy the new features and aslos the benefit from the apps that were made for the device.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, with the brand new iPhone 5C being technologically similar to the iPhone 5, I'd imagine as long as the 5C is supported, the 5 is supported... and I highly doubt Apple will drop support for the 5C in under a two years.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd say if you can afford it and you feel okay about spending the money get the 5S. It's a better product in every way (not that the 5 wasn't good or anything). Always go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right keep your 5, it's still a great phone. Hope I helped.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The 5c and the iPhone 5 have the same specs , only difference is the slightly bigger battery and different colours. Apple may want to get consumers to use the latest gadgets like how the iPad mini and the iPad 2 with Siri. Apple could of given the iPad 2 Siri. But refused simply because the iPad mini wouldn't of stood out as much, but it's size.
Apple may do the same thing with the 5C and the iPhone 5. They may give the 5C certain features the iPhone 5 wouldn't be able to do.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I added a line Friday and got an iPhone 5, because I couldn't afford the 5s. Now I am reconsidering. looking for opinions on whether I should return the 5, shell out a few more bucks now that I have it, and get the 5s, or keep the 5. The 5 is amazing, I have no complaints. I would have to go with Space Grey.......because gold or white.... um no. any help would be appreciated.

Absolutely!! For the extra 100 bucks your getting apples latest and greatest! I've had the 5 for a yr and just got the 5s. Fingerprint scanner camera battery is enough for me to choose the 5s! And it's faster. I wouldn't sign 2 yr contract for a phone that's been out over a yr. Thats just me. 5s will have better resale value when the i6 comes out. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
They just dropped support for the 3GS which was released in 2009 with iOS 3 and supported thru iOS 6 so the 5/5C may be supported until 2015 (released in 2102 with iOS 6, if it gets 3 years of iOS upgrades like the 3GS).

Don't get me wrong the 4s,5, 5c and 5s are great great devices and I'm in love with my 5s but the 3GS was seriously solid. Pound for pound the best iPhone.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Bigger battery would only be better if you think you need a bigger battery. And exactly how fast do you need your phone to be? Will you really notice an A7 compared to an A6? Most people won't in day to day use. The 5 will remain perfectly useful for a very long time. I can't imagine spending an extra $100 on things I don't really care about or need but of course it's up to you. I say let the spec-hounds and "must-have-the-latest-and-greatest" type of fans feed the Apple an extra $100.

htabbach

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If someone posed the question "should I use my only upgrade, or pay money to buy outright, the 5S if I am coming from an iphone 5" I would say no. I would say hold onto that upgrade, or save that money, and continue enjoying the iphone 5.

But if someone is asking, "should I use my upgrade or new line to buy the 5, or the 5S, as I am not a current owner of either" I would say get the 5S. Particularly if a) the money is there and b) you plan on holding onto the phone for 2 years. The A7 processor will likely be a key when you go to load IOS 8 and IOS9 onto the device. You will be getting slightly, and I mean slightly, better battery life. Slightly better camera. M7 processor. 64bit chip which may come into play down the road. All around, it is a better phone. Plus, you may see better resale value at the end of the two years for the 5S vs. the 5.

Good luck and either way, enjoy the phone you decide on.

Exactly this!

htabbach

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Bigger battery would only be better if you think you need a bigger battery. And exactly how fast do you need your phone to be? Will you really notice an A7 compared to an A6? Most people won't in day to day use. The 5 will remain perfectly useful for a very long time. I can't imagine spending an extra $100 on things I don't really care about or need but of course it's up to you. I say let the spec-hounds and "must-have-the-latest-and-greatest" type of fans feed the Apple an extra $100.

The A7 vs. A6 may not matter much now, but it will with iOS7and iOS8, the 64 bit architecture will be important for future upgrades.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The A7 vs. A6 may not matter much now, but it will with iOS7and iOS8, the 64 bit architecture will be important for future upgrades.

If it A7 vs. A6 doesn't matter now, it might not matter later. How will it be important? Why do you want or need "future upgrades"? Why do you want or need iOS8? What is so horrible with what you have now? That's my point. If you are doing just fine with what you have, don't "upgrade" for the sake of it. Do it if there is something in the upgrade that you want or need. I know that Apple depends on people that just want to upgrade or buy a new phone only because everyone else is doing it but maybe it would be "different" and "innovative" if you upgraded phone or OS because you actually needed to do it or were not happy with what you currently have.