Returning/selling my Gold 5S for a 5C. Anyone else?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I do hear sound when typing. To me it's normal and expected as sound is the output from the force my finger creates when touching the screen. I don't think it's loud, but that's just me.

For me I think the ambient environmental noise test is reasonable. It's also probably natural to expect focus on topics like this given the phones cost and everyone's collective anticipation before the phone is in our hands. Afterwards, most people are probably paying extra attention to every detail, nuance, and behavior.

All of that said, I will check this phenomenon out when I get my 5S.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
OP, can you use a sound meter to record the decibel level? There are some in the App Store. This will help provide a baseline with which to evaluate and understand the clicking volume.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How loud is the clicking? I don't have my 5S yet, so just trying to get an understanding.

Is the sound any louder than when your finger(s) are tapping or typing on an iPad screen or keyboard with the mute button enabled?

To me it's just the sound of something moving not noticeable to me. I have a iPhone 1 sitting here and started clicking the home button and that makes more of a sound than my 5s or the 4s I had. Some noises bother people. My ex couldn't stand the clicking sound of a car turn signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
More than likely, but I'm so OCD about those little things that they were a deal breaker for me. If you haven't held a 5C I recommend checking one out. Feels very solid and premium. A very well built product.

My mom bought a 5c last week to replace her 4S...it does feel really nice, and the back piece doesn't feel at all cheap. That said, it's a literal mirror of an iPhone 5, which I already had, so as far as upgrades (to me), it really wasn't one.

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
OP, can you use a sound meter to record the decibel level? There are some in the App Store. This will help provide a baseline with which to evaluate and understand the clicking volume.

I've already got the C and packaged up the 5S to return. I'm happy with my choice though. My S was restarting about twice a day too. No problem so far with the C. A lot of people assume I was coming from a regular 5. I actually gave android a whirl and am coming back from an HTC one. My company doesn't require pass code lock either, so the fingerprint scanner in the home button wasn't a big deal.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I say if the OP is happy then so be it. I have OCD to a certain extent and if that clicking is that annoying then the right choice has been made. With OCD, those little annoyances cause so much anxiety and you tend to focus on trying to ignore it but that causes issues too and the cycle continues, so I totally understand. Enjoy your 5C:D

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I never noticed the clicking until I read this thread. Now thinking about it the clicking on my iP5C is no louder the it was on my iP3G, 4, 4S and 5. To me it gives me positive feedback that I did press the "Home" button.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The home button is definitely an adjustment but I would not go to a 5C from this 5S. I love it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The home button is definately loud clicking on mine and wifes. It's a adjustment but definately not exchanging for last years technology.

snookasnoo

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
After a week with the 5S I got really annoyed with the loud clicking coming from the home button and dealing with the loose lock button(I was told by the "geniuses" that these were normal and within spec). I decided I would try the 5C. I am a sucker for yellow phones. I must say that the build quality(or quality control) is surprising much better on the plastic/polycarbonate phone. While I will miss the new processors and touch Id I will say I am happy with my decision. Anyone else leaning this way or am I a loner on this?

I would have gotten another 5s you were happy with instead of downgrading so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
If the 5C is a better fit than the 5S for you then congrats! After all, it's whatever phone will suit your needs and make u happy.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I had to change my Space Gray 64GB 5S not even a week after launch day because of a spot on the camera that showed up in all photos.

I honestly thought about going with a 32GB 5C in white. I would have done it if I didn't have the week to absolutely love all the features the 5S has to offer. I for one love the clicky home button. I also look forward to using the slo-mo cam quite a bit.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As already has been said, to each their own. If I ever own a 5C it would be like a secondary device. Just switch sim cards whenever I please. But not my main phone.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
If that's what cranks your motor, go for it. My 5s is pristine and every way shape and form. It's a keeper.... Getting a 5c would be a half step slower than what I chose to to take. No can do...

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
After a week with the 5S I got really annoyed with the loud clicking coming from the home button and dealing with the loose lock button(I was told by the "geniuses" that these were normal and within spec). I decided I would try the 5C. I am a sucker for yellow phones. I must say that the build quality(or quality control) is surprising much better on the plastic/polycarbonate phone. While I will miss the new processors and touch Id I will say I am happy with my decision. Anyone else leaning this way or am I a loner on this?

Feels like the 3G and 3GS but way better in terms of build quality. The only difference between the 5S is the durability when you drop it, touch id and faster processor. Can't believe how much info was leaked about the launch that was correct and the leaks came out in like May.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
When I was at the apple store, I was pressing the home button to see if it click. And they all do. Then I was at the sprint the other day and the again their iPhone 5s home button click. I hate that noise but I want to get a 5s. So I will have to live with it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW