Is it worth to upgrade

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
From an iphone5 to an iphone5s? Is there a good difference between the two iphones? My iphone5 is crashing a lot and im elegible for an upgrade since i used my moms upgrade last year and not mine. Is it worth the upgrade? Did u upgrade urs for the ip5s? Are u happy/pleased with it? Any major difference?

Thanks for ur help frm advance

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That will depend on you. Getting a newer device is almost always good, but whether or not it is worth it depends on what device you had prior to getting it. I currently have an iPhone 5, but I have no intentions of upgrading to the 5S because although the 5S is a superior device, there is nothing wrong with my current device. I am still pleased with it and it works well for my needs. Furthermore, iOS 7 has made it like new again. So the question is this: Will upgrading to the iPhone 5S be a worthwhile upgrade for YOU?

Jeryl31

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I loved my upgrade and I came from a samsung galaxy s4. What made the upgrade worth it was the stability and camera enhancements coming from android. If your really want the new features of the 5S then go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
After owning both I prefer the iphone 5S however I would tell you that it's truly not worth the upgrade if you have the iphone 5. Perhaps if you are looking for more capacity, and would buy another phone anyway, then yes go for the 5S. However side by side (I gave my 5 to my wife) there really isn't a noticeable speed increase in everyday tasks. I sat there for about 30 minutes opening the same apps at the same time and both phones were really fast. Safari does render pages a tad faster on the 5S, but not $199 faster. And the Cameras? Both shoot excellent photos, in my experience indoors the 5S is better, but again not $199 better.

The_colombian

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
My wife has the 5 and I just went from a galaxy s3 to the 5s. Besides the security which Is a plus for me because I hate the 4 digit pin, I see no difference at all. I almost gave the 5s to my wife since there isn't a difference. She wanted the new model until she realized they are functionally the same in and out. (Fingerprint sensor aside).

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
From an iphone5 to an iphone5s? Is there a good difference between the two iphones? My iphone5 is crashing a lot and im elegible for an upgrade since i used my moms upgrade last year and not mine. Is it worth the upgrade? Did u upgrade urs for the ip5s? Are u happy/pleased with it? Any major difference?

It depends. I had a 5 and upgraded. I don't regret it but I'm sure I will next year at this time. Although in the long run I prefer the "S" cycle and having the ability to upgrade when the S comes out. I like the lighter space gray. The finger print scanner is fine but doesn't work 100% of the time. I don't play a lot of games so the internals aren't a huge thing for me. It comes down to money.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I guess I do appreciate the better camera. I use my phone for my everyday camera and have found better colors in my 5S pics especially at night.
eze4avem.jpg
resu9esa.jpg
2e2adyhu.jpg

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

If you are eligible for an upgrade go for it. 5s is a sweet device. Fingerprint ID is a cool feature.

anon(4712533)

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I went to a 5S from a 5 and I'm enjoying the extra features I'll sit here and compare my 5S to my wife's 5 and there is a slight speed difference but it's all up to you what you want the one thing that pushed me to upgrade was the fact VZW gave me $300 for my 16GB iPhone 5 so I was able to upgrade to a 32GB iPhone 5S and only had to pay the $53 in tax and upgrade charge so to me it was well worth the upgrade

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You should take upgrades ASAP. Sell either phone. Pocket the subsidy you are paying. If you sell the 5S obviously you'll get the most.

TigerDunes

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
If you are having problems, I would get rid of it. Not sure who your wireless carrier is but Verizon has a trade in program that i am told goes through October and they will give you up to $300 on iPhone 5 16 GB version. Just got rid of nearly 2 yr old iPhone 4 8 GB that I got from Verizon for nothing and upgraded to new 5c 16 GB. Cost me $30 for early upgrade charge. There are other companies that will pay for your old working phones. This was really painless and easy with Verizon though.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
That's is true I am not really looking to upgrade my phone since I just got the 5 last year.. But with a new iOS makes the phone feel different and new.. Something that can get me through another year

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
My reason for upgrading was to enjoy better graphics and having a good camera. The speed is pretty much the same as the iPhone 5. Maybe just a tad faster. What reasons do you wana get the iPhone 5s?
If they are valid get the device.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
That's is true I am not really looking to upgrade my phone since I just got the 5 last year.. But with a new iOS makes the phone feel different and new.. Something that can get me through another year

Most people agree with what you just said. What apple did by creating a finger print scanner and Making an iPhone gold was a marketing strategy. I guess having a. Slightly better camera and a 64 bit phone wasn't enough for consumers to wana buy the 5S.
My reasons were the graphics. I'm a gamer on iOS.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess I do appreciate the better camera. I use my phone for my everyday camera and have found better colors in my 5S pics especially at night. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/29/eze4avem.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/29/resu9esa.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/29/2e2adyhu.jpg

Wow- fabulous photos! (The sort that require both good camera and good photographer)!

i, too was swayed by the camera (was worth it to me to the point of off-contract full price), but that's me. I held bot...did side-by-sides- speeds were equivalent. I am fine with that :). Once fast is fast, faster than fast becomes negligible. BUT THE CAMERA!!!

i agree with others - the only person who can decide if its worth to you is you. I did it, and my 5 is in perfect working order. You said your 5 is wonky- so there's an added reason to consider it. Those who have decided to stick with their Fives have working fives.

You also don't have to decide now, right? You could stick it out with the Five until you can no longer stand it- and upgrade to 5s then. That day may come soon- or not at all. If you upgrade now- once 14 days pass, that's your final answer - there's no going back.

It's not worth it if you're not sure. Then again, you could wake up tomorrow and be sure- decision to hold off isn't permanent- you could change your mind and go for the upgrade any old day.

Besides- the specs may say they're close and the 5 should be just as good- but that hardly matters: yours isn't good, right? And if you go from phone that crashes to new one that doesn't, that's a major difference, right? Again, difference in specs matters less than difference *for you*

Last edited:

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I did go from a 5 to a 5s.

It was reckless extravagance, so I hesitate to recommend it to others, but I'd do it again.

Camera takes nicer pictures, TouchID is awesome, and the band availability is much wider. On a non-Sprint North American 5s (A1533), can go on Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile Stateside, or on the Big Three or Wind or Mobilicity or the regionals in Canada.

As others say, you're paying the subsidy anyway so it makes sense to upgrade if in the USA, and then sell one. (Probably could upgrade to 5s and get the amount paid flat for your old 5, making it "free" -- no cash out of pocket, but two years more commitment.)

Only reason not to would be if you want to get a 6 for sure and you can't use a family member's upgrade next year. Although, again, the upgrade and sell method seems to work for many.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

trandz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Even if you used your upgrade. I know att always does early/half upgrades is you can buy the new one for like 500$ aka free because you'd be able to sell the 5s for that much most likely.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2