Does anyone know if I pop in an AIO wireless (AT&T prepaid) nano-SIM into the 5s if it'll pick up LTE? Or is that service strictly the faux "4G" on any device?
    It will be LTE, however Aio artificially limits it's speed to 8Mbps up/down.
    09-30-2013 01:43 PM
    wonder if this will be fixed w an update?

i thought when the 5's first came out they worked too. well, some did. some didn't.
    09-30-2013 03:14 PM
    If it's in my hand I will always go LTE. But it depends, when I come to the US I usually just roam instead of getting a local SIM specially that AT&T GoPhone prices are a bit expensive. My carrier doesn't have a 4G LTE Roaming agreement with anyone yet, so I think the only way I would experience LTE in the US by getting a Monthly 4G Prepaid T-Mobile SIM.

Or let's say my iPhone 5S will already come with a T-Mobile SIM which I will activate when I come to the US, Thanks Apple.
    Do what I do -- use T-Mobile for $3/day, if staying for two weeks or less. First 200 MB each day are LTE. EDGE after that.

Can switch plans depending on how long you're staying, and refill your account online using a foreign credit card.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-30-2013 03:35 PM
    Do what I do -- use T-Mobile for $3/day, if staying for two weeks or less. First 200 MB each day are LTE. EDGE after that.

Can switch plans depending on how long you're staying, and refill your account online using a foreign credit card.
    Yep, I like T-Mobile rates. Never tried their 3G or LTE coverage though.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-30-2013 03:38 PM
    wonder if this will be fixed w an update?

i thought when the 5's first came out they worked too. well, some did. some didn't.
    Not sure what update you are talking about here. If you are referring to the Verizon 5S with my AT&T SIM, there is no reason why it wouldn't continue to work.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro
    09-30-2013 04:33 PM
    Does anyone know if I pop in an AIO wireless (AT&T prepaid) nano-SIM into the 5s if it'll pick up LTE? Or is that service strictly the faux "4G" on any device?
    As Karen said, it will work as long as your 5S is unlocked.

09-30-2013 04:35 PM
    Yep, I like T-Mobile rates. Never tried their 3G or LTE coverage though.

I like T-Mobile rates as well. The problem I have with them is their coverage in my area never improves, and they have no coverage at all in my ER at work. I keep an old prepaid number with them for testing purposes that only cost me $10 a year.

09-30-2013 04:54 PM
    I like T-Mobile rates as well. The problem I have with them is their coverage in my area never improves, and they have no coverage at all in my ER at work. I keep an old prepaid number with them for testing purposes that only cost me $10 a year.

Probably the will improve over time. I can see a bright future for them. I can also say they have just started to build their network by offering iPhones. I am sure in a year or two they will improve their coverage.

09-30-2013 05:06 PM
    Probably the will improve over time. I can see a bright future for them. I can also say they have just started to build their network by offering iPhones. I am sure in a year or two they will improve their coverage.

I hope so cause I would love to go over to them but when a friend of mine and I went to her cousins out in BFE I had LTE with full bars on Verizon and she turned her phone cause of not getting any service.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-30-2013 05:28 PM

I've had service with them since 2005 and they haven't changed yet, but I suppose things could change. I do like their customer service. They've always been helpful anytime I need to call them about a service related issue.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-30-2013 06:28 PM
    I purchased the AT&T model for full retail, and went online to AT&T support chat and had them unlock it. Works well with my Tmobile sim. I get same level of coverage in my area for literally half the cost. Happy camper over here, looking forward to seeing more 5s verizon models show up over the year. Gonna have to pick one up just in case.
    Hi! Sorry about the off-topic, but did you buy the iPhone 5S without contract? I`m from Norway and I bought a iPhone 5S from Apple Store (AT&T) at full retail price and I want to get in contact with AT&T chat support to unlock my phone, but it seems that I have to be registered with an account, and to be registered I have to have a US phone number etc... Just wonder how to unlock my phone without having any active subscription(s) at AT&T.
    10-03-2013 08:58 PM
    Hi! Sorry about the off-topic, but did you buy the iPhone 5S without contract? I`m from Norway and I bought a iPhone 5S from Apple Store (AT&T) at full retail price and I want to get in contact with AT&T chat support to unlock my phone, but it seems that I have to be registered with an account, and to be registered I have to have a US phone number etc... Just wonder how to unlock my phone without having any active subscription(s) at AT&T.
    You shouldn't need to. If you bought the phone at full retail it should already be unlocked. Have you already tried using your sim in the phone?

10-03-2013 09:48 PM
    As mentioned above. Your AT&T 5S is already unlocked if you purchased it at the full retail price through Apple. All you need to do is restore your 5S in iTunes and you should get the "Congratulations your iPhone is unlocked" message.
    10-03-2013 09:56 PM
    Another good reason to get the Verizon iPhone 5S instead of the AT&T model: AT&T iPhone Unlocking Services Suspended -Shutdown Likely For Good
    10-06-2013 05:21 PM
    Question, I have a verizon 5s if I use a friends t-mobile sim or if I go out of the country and get a pre paid sim what happens to my Verizon service?? Once I pop the verizon sim back in is my service restored? Do I have to contact verizon to get it restored??
    10-08-2013 12:10 AM
    Question, I have a verizon 5s if I use a friends t-mobile sim or if I go out of the country and get a pre paid sim what happens to my Verizon service?? Once I pop the verizon sim back in is my service restored? Do I have to contact verizon to get it restored??
    No just hold on to your Verizon sim then pop it back in when you want to use your Verizon service. I believe you can suspend your service then when you're back in the country just restart service.

Eileen89 likes this.
    10-08-2013 12:12 AM
    No just hold on to your Verizon sim then pop it back in when you want to use your Verizon service. I believe you can suspend your service then when you're back in the country just restart service.
    Correct. Post #3 in this link explains how to do this. https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/767056
    10-08-2013 08:56 AM
    I'm getting the 5S for my wife, but my local AT&T store won't have them in, until at least the middle of November.
    10-08-2013 09:03 AM
    I'm getting the 5S for my wife, but my local AT&T store won't have them in, until at least the middle of November.
    I'd try going to Apple first or using Apples order for in store pick up option if it is still available online. You should be able o get one before November.
    10-08-2013 09:10 AM
    My T-Mobile 5S with 64gb storage is unlocked thru T-Mobile and also works on AT&T and Verizon. You can't beat that with a stick. Great phone.
    Vinny

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-29-2013 08:19 PM
    It must burn to allow that, Lol. Houston Texans Jersey
    Last edited by caroledauthier; 11-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    10-30-2013 02:06 PM
    My T-Mobile 5S with 64gb storage is unlocked thru T-Mobile and also works on AT&T and Verizon. You can't beat that with a stick. Great phone.
    Vinny

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Actually, as far as using the T-Mobile 5S on Verizon is concerned, it will only work for data and not the voice side of Verizon's network. Verizon will not activate another carriers 5S on their network even though it does have the frequencies that are needed to run on it. This is the reason why I canceled my original order for the unlocked T-Mobile 5S and went with Verizon's model. I already called them when I first got it and gave them the serial number and they said that it could be activated on their network for both voice and data if I ever wanted to make the switch.
    10-30-2013 04:48 PM
    I am now thinking about buying a new iPhone 5s. Thank you for this info.
    You are welcome. Glad to help.
    11-07-2013 07:29 PM
    hopefully purchasing a local gold verizon 5s to work with my AT&T sim tonight thanks to this thread!
    11-09-2013 07:58 PM
    Question if an AT&T model is bought full price at one of their stores will it be unlocked?

Carried by a raven from the wall.
    11-10-2013 08:34 PM
81 1234