My Verizon iPhone 5S works on AT&T:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I picked up my new Verizon Silver 64GB iPhone 5S yesterday afternoon to use with my AT&T service. I have been reading many conflicting posts on other forums as to whether or not it was really unlocked, including a blog where a guy tried to activate with a AT&T sim and could not get it to work. However Apples website lists it's compatibility with the LTE network frequencies here and since I was paying full retail anyway, I decided it was better to get the Verizon 5S which should work on AT&T and T-Mobile as well.... When I got it home, I moved the AT&T sim from my iPhone 5 to my Verizon iPhone 5S and it only showed a few dots with the LTE logo. However, after going through the activation process it then displayed the AT&T symbol as well as LTE. It has been working great on AT&T's LTE and 4G network as seen in my speed test screenshots below. I'm sure it will work with my secondary T-Mobile prepaid service as well when I can get a Nano T-Mobile SIM card..... For all those paying full retail for the 5S I would recommend looking at the Verizon model first, since it is already unlocked right out of the box.

Here are some pictures of my Verizon 5S on AT&T's network along with a LTE and a 4G speed test:

megyhy7a.jpg

9esu7utu.jpg

u8aha4u8.jpg

ymuhajur.jpg

a9ejy9up.jpg

This is a screenshot showing that both Voice and Data work together on AT&T with Verizon's iPhone 5S

9upubeje.jpg

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

Nice!....Thank you for the confirmation and proof. It is appreciated, my friend...:)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Nice!....Thank you for the confirmation and proof. It is appreciated, my friend...:)
You are welcome. I was hoping that by posting my experience it will help others out who still aren't sure if or how well the Verizon 5S would work on another carriers network. I like the fact that Verizon keeps their iPhone 5S unlocked out of the box. This way if I ever decide to switch to them in the future I won't have to purchase another 5S. :)

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

You are welcome. I was hoping that by posting my experience it will help others out who still aren't sure if or how well the Verizon 5S would work on another carriers network. I like the fact that Verizon keeps their iPhone 5S unlocked out of the box. This way if I ever decide to switch to them in the future I won't have to purchase another 5S. :)

Believe me, their eyes are filled with tears of blood after unlocking their devices. They just need to do it for the sake of their agreement with FCC for the additional LTE frequency.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Believe me, their eyes are filled with tears of blood after unlocking their devices. They just need to do it for the sake of their agreement with FCC for the additional LTE frequency.

Absolutely, I definitely thought the same thing when I was looking into why Verizon would unlock theirs and other carriers don't out of the box unless the customer paid full retail.

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, maybe I should have picked up this model. I got the T-Mobile model to use with AT&T, and it works perfectly. Having the ability to use with Verizon may have been nice although I don't plan on switching to them since they limit their prepaid plans to 3G.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Definitely good share. While Verizon works so well for us overall, it's nice to know there are options if things change.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Definitely good share. While Verizon works so well for us overall, it's nice to know there are options if things change.

I've thought about trying Verizon out again to see if their LTE coverage has improved at my house, but right now my service with AT&T is awesome and I don't want to give up my grandfathered $25 data plan. I think it's good to have the Verizon 5S just in case things change in the future like you said. :)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I've thought about trying Verizon out again to see if their LTE coverage has improved at my house, but right now my service with AT&T is awesome and I don't want to give up my grandfathered $25 data plan. I think it's good to have the Verizon 5S just in case things change in the future like you said. :)

That's the model I got! Except I got the 32GB silver 😃.

I was a happy camper to find out when I popped in my dad's AT&T sim in I got LTE! Thinking of going to Aio Wireless since I would like to be back on GSM and since I'm not getting a break on my Verizon bill by paying full retail and being month to month now.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I purchased the AT&T model for full retail, and went online to AT&T support chat and had them unlock it. Works well with my Tmobile sim. I get same level of coverage in my area for literally half the cost. Happy camper over here, looking forward to seeing more 5s verizon models show up over the year. Gonna have to pick one up just in case.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Glad to see this. I remember the unlocked iPhone 5 on Verizon only getting HSPA+ for AT&T. So nice to see it getting LTE now. Does the Verizon model simply just support more bands on the 5S?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

Glad to see this. I remember the unlocked iPhone 5 on Verizon only getting HSPA+ for AT&T. So nice to see it getting LTE now. Does the Verizon model simply just support more bands on the 5S?

Yes it does. The AT&T and T-Mobile unlocked 5S also support more LTE bands. However, neither one will work on Verizon's CDMA network, which is why I think the Verizon model is a better deal for people like myself who paid full retail for their unlocked iPhone 5S's.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I edited my first post to include a screenshot showing that both Voice and Data do work together with AT&T using Verizon's iPhone 5S... This was another question I saw being asked a lot so I thought I would test it out and post the results in case anyone wanted to know if this worked or not.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Does it support tmobiles hspa+ network and LTE network?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Just to make it clear. The Verizon 5S is the AT&T model also T-Mobile. They are all only one model. The only difference is that a non Verizon 5S won't work over Verizon because Verizon doesn't feel like inviting you to their luxurious party where expensive data plans will be served.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I edited my first post to include a screenshot showing that both Voice and Data do work together with AT&T using Verizon's iPhone 5S... This was another question I saw being asked a lot so I thought I would test it out and post the results in case anyone wanted to know if this worked or not.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Irish in that screenshot you're connected to wifi you can do voice and data on Verizon if you're connected to wifi LOL.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Irish in that screenshot you're connected to wifi you can do voice and data on Verizon if you're connected to wifi LOL.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Yeah. I was going to point that out as well. Try it with wifi off, please, Irish. I'm curious as well.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to make it clear. The Verizon 5S is the AT&T model also T-Mobile. They are all only one model. The only difference is that a non Verizon 5S won't work over Verizon because Verizon doesn't feel like inviting you to their luxurious party where expensive data plans will be served.
On Verizon's GSM side, yes. I don't think the AT&T or T-Mobile 5S supports CDMA in order to work with that side of Verizon's network.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR