I don't think the iPhone 5S supports 1700 MHZ (T-Mobile 3G AWS). It still only supports 1900 MHZ for 3G, so this device is not special for T-Mobile, it is the same as the AT&T model and Verizon. People it's all one phone no difference! Even the T-Mobile also the AT&T one both support Verizon CDMA it is just Verizon that won't allow you in as they want you to purchase the device of their stores.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    Negative, the A1533, whether Verizon or other, supports T-Mobile 3g AWS.

It was for the old 5 that the Verizon A1429 worked on AT&T for 3g but not T-Mobile.

If I lived in the US, I'd have bought a Verizon A1533 outright.

I don't, so have the GSM A1533 instead. It's all good unless I move to the middle of the US, where Verizon is king and AT&T and T-Mobile have lousy coverage...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    09-29-2013 09:48 AM
    I don't think the iPhone 5S supports 1700 MHZ (T-Mobile 3G AWS). It still only supports 1900 MHZ for 3G, so this device is not special for T-Mobile, it is the same as the AT&T model and Verizon. People it's all one phone no difference! Even the T-Mobile also the AT&T one both support Verizon CDMA it is just Verizon that won't allow you in as they want you to purchase the device of their stores.
    I'm pretty sure that Apple updated all the 5S's to include support for T-Mobile's AWS 1700 and 2100 band. they were updating the iPhone 5's in the later half of the year to support T-Mobile customers, therefore the iPhone 5S should definitely support the 1700 band.... T-Mobile USA: Understanding network compatibility of an unlocked iPhone 5

Although Model A1533 will support CDMA, Verizon will not activate it at all on their network, therefore as I said above, if anyone has a GSM carrier now and has thoughts of switching to them at some point, buying the Verizon 5S would be the way to go. Unless one doesn't mind having to purchase another 5S just to switch carriers.
    09-29-2013 09:50 AM
    This should become a sticky! So relevant for so many people long after the new-release frenzy dies down. Irish Rose answered the EXACT question I had before buying a full-priced 5s. I spent more time investigating this than any other aspect of the 5s. I thought it would PROBABLY work- it looked that way on paper- but I was not going to test it b/c still under VZW contract. For now.

Thank you, Irish Rose. A very important and incredibly CLEAR post, easy to understand. clearer info, all in one place (with examples) than is available anywhere else out there.

Mods: I nominate this for sticky!
    Eileen89 and nikkisharif like this.
    09-29-2013 10:10 AM
    This should become a sticky! So relevant for so many people long after the new-release frenzy dies down. Irish Rose answered the EXACT question I had before buying a full-priced 5s. I spent more time investigating this than any other aspect of the 5s. I thought it would PROBABLY work- it looked that way on paper- but I was not going to test it b/c still under VZW contract. For now.

Thank you, Irish Rose. A very important and incredibly CLEAR post, easy to understand. clearer info, all in one place (with examples) than is available anywhere else out there.

Mods: I nominate this for sticky!
    Rocket_Girl, I appreciate your feedback on this. Like you I did a lot of research on this as well, but the answers seemed to only add more questions. I was hoping that by posting my experience and the answers that I found through testing would help others out too.
    Rocket_Girl likes this.
    09-29-2013 10:24 AM
    I wonder if the AT&T version will work on Verizon. I think that the iPhone 5 might do the same
    09-29-2013 10:44 AM
    I wonder if the AT&T version will work on Verizon. I think that the iPhone 5 might do the same
    The specs on Apples website show that the frequency bands are supported. Problem is, Verizon will not activate a unlocked AT&T or T-Mobile 5S on their network at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    09-29-2013 10:49 AM
    Somebody described this with a good dose of humor earlier in the thread, so I won't repeat (for details, see above). VZW will not let AT&T devices work on their system.
    09-29-2013 10:49 AM
    Good catch guys, thanks! I updated my screenshot above. Tried it again, this time double checking that WiFi was actually off. Voice & Data definitely work on AT&T's 4G network. Since it works with AT&T using Verizon's own iPhone, I don't see why it don't work for Verizon's customers. It's the same iPhone....
    Voice on Verizon uses CDMA... while some Verizon devices did/do support voice&data over CDMA, Apple devices do not.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-29-2013 11:00 AM
    Voice on Verizon uses CDMA... while some Verizon devices did/do support voice&data over CDMA, Apple devices do not.
    I find it odd how Apple doesn't support it, but whatever... Thanks for clarifying this, Keith.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    09-29-2013 11:16 AM
    For Apple to support CDMA voice plus data, the phones would need two radios/antennae constantly active...to support that, the phones would not be as small as they are because of hardware needs.
    09-29-2013 11:19 AM
    Thanks for sharing Irish!!! I have a Verizon 5S and was thinking of switching to AT&T at some point. So glad to know I won't have to purchase a new phone if I switch and decide to go back!
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-29-2013 11:32 AM
    I get the same battery life on the T-Mobile side as I did on the AT&T side, I can't tell a difference in battery usage.
    09-29-2013 03:19 PM
    A1533 supports 11 LTE bands, but Sprint model does 13. Could anybody confirm Sprint model could be activated on the rest of the carriers.
    09-29-2013 03:37 PM
    A1533 supports 11 LTE bands, but Sprint model does 13. Could anybody confirm Sprint model could be activated on the rest of the carriers.
    They are not the same LTE bands as the Verizon/ATT/tmobile version. And Sprint locks the GSM/LTE SIM so even if in a given location the LTE bands did match up, you still couldn't use it without getting the SIM unlocked.
    09-29-2013 04:14 PM
    They are not the same LTE bands as the Verizon/ATT/tmobile version. And Sprint locks the GSM/LTE SIM so even if in a given location the LTE bands did match up, you still couldn't use it without getting the SIM unlocked.
    According to apple.com/iphone/LTE they do have the same bands. However, Sprint locks it's devices anyways. So the final answer is no, won't work.
    09-29-2013 04:21 PM
    Apparently I was wrong when I said the new iPhone 5S doesn't support T-Mobile 1700 MHZ AWS 3G. It does support it and that's great news for me as now I will be able to test T-Mobile coverage while Roaming for the first time. I personally hate the AT&T 3G coverage in Orlando, FL.

Quote from Apple.com:
    Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-29-2013 04:48 PM
    Apparently I was wrong when I said the new iPhone 5S doesn't support T-Mobile 1700 MHZ AWS 3G. It does support it and that's great news for me as now I will be able to test T-Mobile coverage while Roaming for the first time. I personally hate the AT&T 3G coverage in Orlando, FL.
    Exactly, this is what I said in my post above. Why would you use 3G? I believe AT&T has good LTE coverage in Florida now, which is what you will get with an unlocked iPhone 5S.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro
    09-29-2013 07:10 PM
    Exactly, this is what I said in my post above. Why would you use 3G? I believe AT&T has good LTE coverage in Florida now, which is what you will get with an unlocked iPhone 5S.

I can confirm awesome LTE coverage in central FL here.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-29-2013 07:29 PM
    Yay screenshot fixed!
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-29-2013 08:08 PM
    Never thought I could conceivably use an upgrade on Verizon to get one of my relatives a phone they could use on AT&T. Thinking about doing this for Christmas...will see.
    rdubmu likes this.
    09-29-2013 08:19 PM
    Well it uses an LTE SIM, so it should be able to activate, without having to go through the site
    09-29-2013 08:29 PM
    Believe me, their eyes are filled with tears of blood after unlocking their devices. They just need to do it for the sake of their agreement with FCC for the additional LTE frequency.
    I have a love-hate view of Verizon. Where I live their service is by far the best and we've never had a bad dealing with them when the many years we've been their customer. But their arrogance has been second to none on some issues and it makes me smile to know they had to give in on this issue.
    09-30-2013 10:53 AM

If it's in my hand I will always go LTE. But it depends, when I come to the US I usually just roam instead of getting a local SIM specially that AT&T GoPhone prices are a bit expensive. My carrier doesn't have a 4G LTE Roaming agreement with anyone yet, so I think the only way I would experience LTE in the US by getting a Monthly 4G Prepaid T-Mobile SIM.

Or let's say my iPhone 5S will already come with a T-Mobile SIM which I will activate when I come to the US, Thanks Apple.
    09-30-2013 12:28 PM
    Does anyone know if I pop in an AIO wireless (AT&T prepaid) nano-SIM into the 5s if it'll pick up LTE? Or is that service strictly the faux "4G" on any device?
    09-30-2013 12:32 PM
    Does anyone know if I pop in an AIO wireless (AT&T prepaid) nano-SIM into the 5s if it'll pick up LTE? Or is that service strictly the faux "4G" on any device?
    Assuming it's an unlocked ATT 5S, then yes
    09-30-2013 12:42 PM
81 1234