My 5s and Generic USB charger and Fingerprint ID

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this topic should be here or in accessories.

I bought a Generic dual usb charger about 3 months ago to charge my 4s and iPad 2 together. No problems at all.

When I got the 5s I used this charger and noticed that while charging Finger ID was sporadic and sometimes wouldn't work. Unplug the phone and Fingerprint ID was fine. Thought it might be the Sprint Lighting cable I bought that's about 5 feet long. So I used the cable with the Apple charger that came with the 5s and Fingerprint ID works fine while charging.

Just a heads up if anyone else experiences this. Trashing the generic charger.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I always use OEM chargers. My brother on the other hand could care less what type of charger he uses. I'll let him know.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
With iOS 7, Apple has activated the feature where your device verifies that the charging cable you are using has the Apple-approved chip in it. If you're not using an official lightning cable, prepare to have issues with charging.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
With iOS 7, Apple has activated the feature where your device verifies that the charging cable you are using has the Apple-approved chip in it. If you're not using an official lightning cable, prepare to have issues with charging.

The Sprint lighting cable works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The Sprint lighting cable works fine.

Yes, if you purchase a cable from Apple, a carrier store, or somewhere like Best Buy, they will work. The generic cables like you get from places online are the ones that will not have the chip and will not work.

D

Deleted member 233079

iOS 7 essentially added a feature which asks if you trust the source. This is due to hackers creating a virus in aftermarket charging devices which would be able to access the device.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
iOS 7 essentially added a feature which asks if you trust the source. This is due to hackers creating a virus in aftermarket charging devices which would be able to access the device.

Had no idea about this. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner