iPhone 5s Battery Life?

jbmaglunog

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Weird how my battery sometimes is crazy good.

u6e5e3aq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thats not possible man , how come, thats insane i even total cant get that usage....

It's possible for anyone. It all depends on what is done on the phone. If you stick to mostly offline stuff, no videos, no games, no music, no downloading stuff, it can be done.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

nomoregames

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
It's possible for anyone. It all depends on what is done on the phone. If you stick to mostly offline stuff, no videos, no games, no music, no downloading stuff, it can be done.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

No ways, just if you use the phone to check the time, you must void almost everything to have that usage, no calls, no internet, no nothing, airplane mode on etc .
But i still dont believe that usage

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Depends on setup. 5s battery life is comparable to iPhone 5.
On my iPhone 5 with all syncs disabled and most battery friendly config possible I got 88 hours standby with 7~8 hours usage (screenshot provided upon request). LTE on entire time and some wifi usage. With my usual syncs like 2x mail with refresh every hour, social networking syncs, messaging syncs I get two days.

All comes down to your config.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Currently running iOS 8 Beta 4, and can say it's pretty good. Gets me until evening, and I'm always near a charger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.3 (mid 2013, 6 month old battery, jailbroken) with my battery life config (minimal syncs), wifi and LTE always on with obvious wifi usage at home and work:
IMG_0561.PNG

iPhone 5s on 7.1.2 (recently, 3 day old battery, jailbroken) with wifi and LTE always on with obvious wifi usage at home and work. Quite heavy use (I want to say 60% of that was music playback with screen off):
2014-07-22 21.08.26.png

The following syncs are enabled on the 5s:
-Dropbox
-Google Drive
-Scanner Pro
-Lync 2010
-Pebble
-Tinder
-Hangouts
-Viber
-Paper (Facebook Paper)
-Tapatalk
-Instagram
-Alien Blue
-Tweetbot
-Gmail and Hotmail fetch every 1 hour
Background Refresh only enabled for Dropbox and Skype. Auto brightness disabled.
iCloud disabled, except for find my phone.

Battery drain is under 1% per hour, closer to 0.7~0.75%.

While bad signal can GREATLY impact battery life, most people that complain about iPhone battery life are simply not configuring the phones properly and can't be bothered to Google solutions.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.3 (mid 2013, 6 month old battery, jailbroken) with my battery life config (minimal syncs), wifi and LTE always on with obvious wifi usage at home and work:
View attachment 61346

iPhone 5s on 7.1.2 (recently, 3 day old battery, jailbroken) with wifi and LTE always on with obvious wifi usage at home and work. Quite heavy use (I want to say 60% of that was music playback with screen off):
View attachment 61347

The following syncs are enabled on the 5s:
-Dropbox
-Google Drive
-Scanner Pro
-Lync 2010
-Pebble
-Tinder
-Hangouts
-Viber
-Paper (Facebook Paper)
-Tapatalk
-Instagram
-Alien Blue
-Tweetbot
-Gmail and Hotmail fetch every 1 hour
Background Refresh only enabled for Dropbox and Skype. Auto brightness disabled.
iCloud disabled, except for find my phone.

Battery drain is under 1% per hour, closer to 0.7~0.75%.

While bad signal can GREATLY impact battery life, most people that complain about iPhone battery life are simply not configuring the phones properly and can't be bothered to Google solutions.

Very informative post. Thank you Scorpion!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Forgot to mention, in my experience on 5s iOS 7.1.2 the official Facebook (EVEN with backgrounding disabled) and Whatsapp apps negatively impact battery life which is why I removed them. Both Facebook version 8.0 as well as the latest 3 versions exhibit this behavior. Facebook Paper is a good alternative which really anyone can download even outside US.. google it. To my knowledge Facebook does stuff in the background anyway even if you disable Background App Refresh for it, because they abuse the VOIP permissions (VOIP services have system permission to run in the background, without asking you). That's the only plausible explanation I have for FB affecting my phone's awake time GREATLY, even with background app refresh disabled, because iOS is otherwise very strict in this regard.

If I pull my phone off the charger in the morning (100% battery) with FB installed, even if I BARELY touch my phone (realistically 15 mins of usage) it shows like 2.5+ hour awake time... and I can reproduce this consistently!

I don't mind FB and Google data mining me AS LONG AS it doesn't impact my battery life greatly. Fortunately Google apps in my experience don't hammer the battery on iOS, unlike they do on Android 4.4.2 (I ran low level diagnostics on several Nexus devices and discovered Google Play Services hammering a service called NLPwakelockCollector (NLP = network location provider) polling my location 1100+ times per day. I've seen as high as 1350 ish. I happened to study advertising in college and I know first hand that location data is very valuable to ad agencies. If you pass by the same restaurant 40 times per month on your way to work (there and back, 20 work days x2) it's in their best interest to advertise to you etc...

Last edited:

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to mention, in my experience on 5s iOS 7.1.2 the official Facebook (EVEN with backgrounding disabled) and Whatsapp apps negatively impact battery life which is why I removed them. Both Facebook version 8.0 as well as the latest 3 versions exhibit this behavior. Facebook Paper is a good alternative which really anyone can download even outside US.. google it. To my knowledge Facebook does stuff in the background anyway even if you disable Background App Refresh for it, because they abuse the VOIP permissions (VOIP services have system permission to run in the background, without asking you). That's the only plausible explanation I have for FB affecting my phone's awake time GREATLY, even with background app refresh disabled, because iOS is otherwise very strict in this regard.

If I pull my phone off the charger in the morning (100% battery) with FB installed, even if I BARELY touch my phone (realistically 15 mins of usage) it shows like 2.5+ hour awake time... and I can reproduce this consistently!

I don't mind FB and Google data mining me AS LONG AS it doesn't impact my battery life greatly. Fortunately Google apps in my experience don't hammer the battery on iOS, unlike they do on Android 4.4.2 (I ran low level diagnostics on several Nexus devices and discovered Google Play Services hammering a service called NLPwakelockCollector (NLP = network location provider) polling my location 1100+ times per day. I've seen as high as 1350 ish. I happened to study advertising in college and I know first hand that location data is very valuable to ad agencies. If you pass by the same restaurant 40 times per month on your way to work (there and back, 20 work days x2) it's in their best interest to advertise to you etc...

Just now saw this man. In short, I have also experienced similar affects on battery because of Facebook constantly pulling my location.

I disagree with the GApps part. Something about the Google Search app significantly affected my battery life. I still don't know what causes it, and can't find many people with the same problem online. But it does exist, I'm not crazy!

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just now saw this man. In short, I have also experienced similar affects on battery because of Facebook constantly pulling my location.

I disagree with the GApps part. Something about the Google Search app significantly affected my battery life. I still don't know what causes it, and can't find many people with the same problem online. But it does exist, I'm not crazy!

Location services & geofencing

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I mean, having location services enabled for Facebook is kind of useless, and extremely bad for battery life. That's an easy fix
I honestly don't experience any abnormal battery drain using Facebook Paper. It's a great app.

wildphoenix24

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My battery has taken a major hit since downloading the newest iOS update. I can't even make a 45 minutes train ride to work without a 20% drop off. I'm starting to wonder if I should make a visit to the apple store

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
My battery has taken a major hit since downloading the newest iOS update. I can't even make a 45 minutes train ride to work without a 20% drop off. I'm starting to wonder if I should make a visit to the apple store

I would if I were you. Can't hurt :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro