iPhone 5s Battery Life?

cosmicastronaut

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
So I'm seeing a lot of people with 7+ hour battery life...I just updated to 7.1.1 and the battery drain is gone from 7.1, yet I feel like my old iPhone 4 had better battery life. I have Background App Refresh OFF, Location services are turned OFF for some apps, frequent locations OFF, location based Ads are OFF, Bluetooth is kept on at times because it connects to my car, but I try to turn it off when I remember to. Use Wi-Fi maybe 30 mins a day to stream iTunes Radio. Aside from that I usually browse Instagram, a bit of Facebook, Snapchat, some web browsing. I made an appt at the Genius Bar on Sunday just to check if my battery isn't performing as it should!

IMG_0017.png

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After the iOS 7.1.1 update
Wifi only, cellular data off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398744237.734400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I feel like my battery life has gotten worse with 7.1.1. Before that, I rarely had to juice it up during the day, even if I had evening plans and needed to make sure my phone was good to go but now I'm finding that I need to give it a boost if I have a long evening ahead.

DrAkO82

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Oh my god ! What the **** ! I only get about 5 hours !
Dont you play games ?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

I'm in the same situation...only get 5/5 hours 1/2 with Bluetooth OFF, Background refresh app OFF, Location services OFF for most of the apps and system services...

Go to Apple store 2 weeks ago and at the Genius bar, the guys told me my battery is fine and in the green area when they test it...

Honestly if I was not as integrated into the Apple ecosystem (2 iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac, Apple TV, Time Capsule) I have changed my cell for Android or Windows Phone. All of my family and friends have iPhone and iPad and i don't want to lose the ability to send SMS to iPad/iMac...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A lot of your battery drainage depends on how much you use your device and what you do on your device. You can test your battery drainage doing this:
So here's the test: write down your Usage and Standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
A lot of your battery drainage depends on how much you use your device and what you do on your device. You can test your battery drainage doing this:
So here's the test: write down your Usage and Standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Great tip Ledsteplin.
Good Luck

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I get about 5 hours of usage. I usually charge from 50% around 1PM and then have ample amounts for the remainder of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Since 7.1.1, battery life has been way better for me. Wasn't bad before but now I find myself not taking my Anker battery with me at the beginning of my shifts. Comes off the charger at 2 am and at about 2pm I have 30 some odd percent left. And I'm texting, emailing, browsing constantly. Not much time for music and I don't watch shows. Games on occasion, and my brightness is at the halfway mark.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, I've tried everything on my phone, but never succeeded to get past 7 hours battery usage on a full charge. So if someone claims longer usage, I sincerely doubt the way they've used the phone.

Last edited:

kurahk7

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5s running 7.1.1 moderate use, unplugged right before going to bed. I do not force close apps, do not do any battery saving practices besides turning off Bluetooth. Auto brightness enabled.
agu8y5u9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyry

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I used to own a 32GB 5s and the battery life was amazing- almost a day and a half of moderate usage, a day easy with heavy use. I traded it for a note 3, then traded that for a 64GB 5s and the battery life is way worse. I think it might be because I was on 7.0.4 on my old one and this ome came out of the box already on 7.1.1 and potentially worse life because of the update. Moderate usage kills the phone a few hours before I get home now

TL;DR: Battery life has taken a dive since my other 5s.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've tried everything on my phone, but never succeeded to get past 7 hours battery usage on a full charge. So if someone claims longer usage, I sincerely doubt the way they've used the phone.

If I never play videos or games on it, I could get past 7 hours, but for me those things are usually what I do on my phone.

What is your usage like?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen