iPhone 5s Battery Life?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I own the Droid Maxx and the iPhone 5s.. I figure if I'm not trying to be glued to my phone I use the iPhone because of its inferior battery life. It does basic things and the battery is okay with everything turned off.. Now if I travel and need a phone/computer I use the Maxx, I can have everything turned on and be glued to my phone without having to worry about battery life.

3500mAh battery VS 1560mAh battery

I really really would hope the Maxx had better battery life than the iPhone... Considering its battery is roughly 125% larger...

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
3500mAh battery VS 1560mAh battery

I really really would hope the Maxx had better battery life than the iPhone... Considering its battery is roughly 125% larger...

Right, I can do the same thing with my iPad. But then I have to carry around the iPad.

I guess if I am turning off location services, turning off the phone at night, hardly use data devices or the screen and use an alternate device like a computer or iPad to save battery life and only using the phone features that don't consume a lot if battery, your phone statistics will look good.

However, if turn by turn navigation is used for a least one hour a day, along with streaming video for at least one hour, web surfing an hour and a half plus phone calls, texts actually use the phone; battery life will not be in the stratosphere.

Last edited:

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just this week I am noticing a large drop in my battery. I haven't added or changed anything so seem like the battery is not lasting as long anymore. I might stop at an apple store and have it looked at.

zssa

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My phone died so yeah... but I did check it just now when it was on 1%...
Usage time: ~6 hours
Standby time: ~9 hours

No bluetooth, no siri, no 3g & LTE, no location services, almost minimum brightness, didn't call anyone and no gaming...
technically all i did was read books on my iphone...

Any ideas?

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

No bluetooth, no siri, no 3g & LTE, no location services, almost minimum brightness, didn't call anyone and no gaming...

Any ideas?

6 hours sounds about right. I wouldnt worry about subpar battery life.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Any ideas?

I usually get at least 6hrs use but my standby is almost a day and like I said before, I don't turn off anything. I also don't charge my battery prematurely. What carrier do you have? In my experience, LTE does not make your battery drain faster.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Battery on my 5S has been great. I, too, have almost everything turned on and two things connected via Bluetooth at all times. I easily get 12-15 hours out of it and still have 20-45% remaining before I plug it in for bed. Usage is for emails, texts, news with moderate to sometimes heavy use. I don't play games.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Battery on my 5S has been great. I, too, have almost everything turned on and two things connected via Bluetooth at all times. I easily get 12-15 hours out of it and still have 20-45% remaining before I plug it in for bed. Usage is for emails, texts, news with moderate to sometimes heavy use. I don't play games.

15 hours with 45% left? Sorry I just don't believe it.

anon8383645

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I usually get at least 6hrs use but my standby is almost a day and like I said before, I don't turn off anything. I also don't charge my battery prematurely. What carrier do you have? In my experience, LTE does not make your battery drain faster.

There is no such thing as "charging prematurely".

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
15 hours with 45% left? Sorry I just don't believe it.

Why would I lie about it? What do I have to gain? You can choose to believe it or not but it's my personal experience. I rarely need to worry about batter on my 5S or my 5C. In fact, the other day, I even had GPS on for a 5 mile run and it still made it through the day.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I charged my phone 100% yesterday before I went to work at 4:30. I watch an NBA game or listen to it on the watch ESPN app. just looked on my usage status & I got thisImageUploadedByiMore Forums1390502774.468375.jpg

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Why would I lie about it? What do I have to gain? You can choose to believe it or not but it's my personal experience. I rarely need to worry about batter on my 5S or my 5C. In fact, the other day, I even had GPS on for a 5 mile run and it still made it through the day.

I asked myself the same question. However I do not believe the phone is counting correctly. 15 hours to 45 would give a usage of almost 30 hours to zero. Not possible.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I asked myself the same question. However I do not believe the phone is counting correctly. 15 hours to 45 would give a usage of almost 30 hours to zero. Not possible.

Believe what you want. I can tell you that I was off the charger at 9am this morning. It is now 3:30pm (so 6.5 hours later) and I'm at 78%. If you do the math, that gives me about 29.5 hours until empty at this rate. Now, my usage will go up in the evening but I will have plenty of juice come bedtime.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Believe what you want. I can tell you that I was off the charger at 9am this morning. It is now 3:30pm (so 6.5 hours later) and I'm at 78%. If you do the math, that gives me about 29.5 hours until empty at this rate. Now, my usage will go up in the evening but I will have plenty of juice come bedtime.

If I don't use the phone I lose about 2% every 8 hours. And if all I do is check an occasional email I get phenomenal battery life. Heavy usage, turn by turn, streaming radio, consistent browsing, depletes the battery very fast. I donot think the iPhone 5s is capable of 15 hour usage. And that's what I believe.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If I don't use the phone I lose about 2% every 8 hours. And if all I do is check an occasional email I get phenomenal battery life. Heavy usage, turn by turn, streaming radio, consistent browsing, depletes the battery very fast. I donot think the iPhone 5s is capable of 15 hour usage. And that's what I believe.

I mentioned that my usage is moderate to heavy. I don't stream radio or use turn by turn much. I do use the gps when I run and i am still able to get a whole day of use.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I mentioned that my usage is moderate to heavy. I don't stream radio or use turn by turn much. I do use the gps when I run and i am still able to get a whole day of use.

Are you measuring wall time or the usage time as displayed by the iphone? If I measure wall time, I can always get a full days usage out of my phone; meaning from 8am to 10pm. By 10pm however, the battery will be depleted. But a depleted battery doesn't serve me, so I keep the phone charged as I can.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Are you measuring wall time or the usage time as displayed by the iphone? If I measure wall time, I can always get a full days usage out of my phone; meaning from 8am to 10pm. By 10pm however, the battery will be depleted. But a depleted battery doesn't serve me, so I keep the phone charged as I can.

I don't understand what you mean by wall time?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh