iPhone 5s Battery Life?

LanceStoltz

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds ok for on all 3G and only 3 bars or less. When phone companies report battery life (regardless if it's Apple, Samsung, Nokia, etc) it is for a phone on medium brightness with a full strength signal and only running/using a browser. So 8 hours would be expected only if you had 5 bars, did not have WhatsApp? And Facebook running, played no games or streaming music, and the only thing you did was surf the web with Safari.

Thanks for clarifying. It's good to hear. :)

aue123

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
#1 way to extent battery life.. Turn off all functions of the phone until you need them. Basically make it a dumb phone. Then you'll get your 5+ hours.

hockeydennisk

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
There must be stuck background process. A simple off and on should solve your issue

I have tried factory restore and not install any apps, only official apps left, and also enable airplane mode.
I am testing power usage now after battery calibration (full discharge to 0% then charge to 100%).
Is there any tools/apps can examine battery hardware issue?

LanceStoltz

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I have tried factory restore and not install any apps, only official apps left, and also enable airplane mode.
I am testing power usage now after battery calibration (full discharge to 0% then charge to 100%).
Is there any tools/apps can examine battery hardware issue?

Use this app to view background processes.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sys-activity-manager-for-memory/id447374159?mt=8&at=10l3Vy
Or you can use battery doctor to see apps that drains the most.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/battery-doctor-master-battery/id446751279?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Good luck. It took me a few restores for it to be stable. Careful with what you install next time.

iSlogan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
so I got 5s last week and for first few days batt life seemed really good (although I didnt bother to check what I was getting) then sudenly I realised it was going flat over night when I went to with it on 100% (so lasting <8 hours on stand by).

Here's my usage from a standard day. mainly just instagram/facebook and even sometime on flight mode. Do you guys reckon I might have one of the faulty 5s's we've been hearing about? Thoughts greatly appreciated...

photo.PNG

broqolia

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
i got my iPhone 5S on 4th of December and my status was exactly same as you. I searched web and found that i forgot to turn off "background app refresh" (may be you should check some other settings that are consuming a lot of power)

and also i think the people who has 7 hours usage, listening music or using Bluetooth in their car. (which are not using screen but phone counts as usage)

Hope, i could explain what i meant.

mitc5502

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Definitely happy with the battery on my 5S, coming from a Nexus4. I've had it for a couple weeks, but today was the first day I had to really run the battery down, using mostly wifi browsing and Spotify, and auto-brightness.

yzenaryd.jpg

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
i got my iPhone 5S on 4th of December and my status was exactly same as you. I searched web and found that i forgot to turn off "background app refresh" (may be you should check some other settings that are consuming a lot of power)

and also i think the people who has 7 hours usage, listening music or using Bluetooth in their car. (which are not using screen but phone counts as usage)

Hope, i could explain what i meant.

I have background app refresh turned on. I also don't listen to music (still use my iPod for that) and don't use Bluetooth at all. I still manage 7 to 10 hours of usage and 2 to 4 days standby.

image.jpg

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
My 5s lasts about the same as my 5 did, and my 4s before that. I take it off the charger at 5:30am and it goes back on around 10pm. I think a lot of people have some pretty unrealistic expectations for a phone battery.

Yeah I agree. You gotta be realistic. With all these features packed in a small device surely something gotta give.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I agree. You gotta be realistic. With all these features packed in a small device surely something gotta give.

While I agree with both of you, something just doesn't sit well with me when Apple says I should be getting more than double the time than what I'm actually getting. Today, for example my 5 went down 10% in 10 minutes. 10 minutes! That ain't cool.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
While I agree with both of you, something just doesn't sit well with me when Apple says I should be getting more than double the time than what I'm actually getting. Today, for example my 5 went down 10% in 10 minutes. 10 minutes! That ain't cool.

Lol 10 minutes for 10%? Wow. That's hectic. We're you just browsing the net?
Did you have Bluetooth or personal hotspot on?

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
This was mine yesterday. Can't complain about having 54% of battery left at 8:30 p.m. :)

Background app refresh is only on for two apps because I don't need it for any others. Location services on for apps. Wifi is always on. Never use Bluetooth. Auto-brightness on. BBM is the only app I don't close down when I'm not using it.

I will never end up with a day or more of standby because I charge my phone every single night.

ureze3ut.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
4 Days of standby? How do you achieve that?

I'm not sure. I have almost everything turned on. 4G LTE. Location services on any apps that ask for it. Background app refresh. Parallax/animations. Auto-brightness. Frequent locations. TouchID. Volume for all ringers and media at 50%. iMessage. Email set to push. Calendar and contacts set to sync with gmail across my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook.

I honestly don't use my phone much when I am at home. Mainly just phone calls and Instagram over Wifi. My iPad takes the brunt of my home usage. But when I'm away from home, I use the phone normally. Occasional GPS nav with Apple maps. Facebook and Instagram to pass the time. iMessage, SMS, and phone calls. Emails. Safari surfing. Snapping some pictures with the iSight camera.

In perspective... 8 hours of usage spread over 3 or 4 days isn't much compared to many others. But it is about what I average. 7 to 10 hours of usage, over about 3 days.

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Highlight for me today: 8 hours of usage...
LTE was switched on 2 hours, wifi for the rest..
Phone call last night 2 hours
WhatsApp, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram for the rest, played Angry Birds Go for 15 minutes
Location service switched on for the weather, background app refresh switched off for all..
Rotation Lock off
Brightness was set to 20% most of the time
Did some app updates and downloads
cleaned memory with 100% memory and xcleaner a few times..
and voil?:
IMG_0996.PNG

LanceStoltz

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
My battery life improved a little bit today. Able to get 6 hours of usage out of medium to heavy usage.
Playing games for an hour, music, texting and calls, usual reading and internet browsing all with 3G on always. Bad reception in my university though.
I realised that it stays the longest at 100%, then from 99% downwards, it drops like about 1% every 3 - 4 minutes of usage.
IMG_0059.PNG

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73