iPhone 5s Battery Life?

Ricky Ramadhan

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 42030

Hi all, I've posted this on another thread. I just ain't happy with my 5s batt life. Does this look bad? By the 9th hour of standby with about 4 hours usage, I've dropped below 30% battery. No games, no music. Just a few 1 minute phone calls, whatsapp and surfing.

I think you got problem with your operator cellular, try to turn off some background app and location service.

PAJeepGuy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
2y4araru.jpg

Sent from my i5s using Tapatalk

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Are springboard crashes noticeable? My usage statistics seem to reset themselves, is that normal?

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I've got no complaints- this is easily surpassing my standard workweek usage of 12hrs without charge to the point where I've still got 30% left at bedtime.
Unless of course I'm playing games!

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Are springboard crashes noticeable? My usage statistics seem to reset themselves, is that normal?

They are only noticeable if they happen while you are using your device. I've pulled my phone out of my pocket and caught the tail end of a springboard crash, with the Apple logo screen displaying just before it went back to the home screen.

Springboard crashes, and usage statistics resetting themselves, are both not normal. The most likely cause is software related, and some have cured issues by performing a restore, and setting up the device as new. Not restoring from backup.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
They are only noticeable if they happen while you are using your device. I've pulled my phone out of my pocket and caught the tail end of a springboard crash, with the Apple logo screen displaying just before it went back to the home screen.

Springboard crashes, and usage statistics resetting themselves, are both not normal. The most likely cause is software related, and some have cured issues by performing a restore, and setting up the device as new. Not restoring from backup.

Does it actually say springboard crash under diagnostic & usage data? I've look & it doesn't say springboard

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
No. An app crash will bring you back to the home screen. A springboard crash takes you to a blank screen with nothing but the Apple logo.

I recently had this happen, phone randomly rebooted to the apple logo and then I noticed my usage stats reset...weird. It was very quick, easy to miss if not paying attention to the phone at the time of event.

------

On topic, I'm happy with the battery...usually 8+ hours per charge. I was pretty aggressive on this last usage, a lot of videos and gaming...and still almost on par.
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1386327178.612544.jpg

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've come to the conclusion that there is NOT a smartphone battery made that could/would last as long as I would like it to (about a month....SMILE) without charging everyday, so over the years I've always allowed a little extra money in my smartphone budget for an extra battery. After doing research on the iphone's history of battery life nothing was any different. I allowed a little extra cash for the Mophie Juice Pack Air.......I am HAPPY with my choice

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
My 5s lasts about the same as my 5 did, and my 4s before that. I take it off the charger at 5:30am and it goes back on around 10pm. I think a lot of people have some pretty unrealistic expectations for a phone battery.

aue123

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I've come to the conclusion that there is NOT a smartphone battery made that could/would last as long as I would like it to (about a month....SMILE) without charging everyday, so over the years I've always allowed a little extra money in my smartphone budget for an extra battery. After doing research on the iphone's history of battery life nothing was any different. I allowed a little extra cash for the Mophie Juice Pack Air.......I am HAPPY with my choice

Yutt!! Droid Maxx Battery is stellar..

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yutt!! Droid Maxx Battery is stellar..

Glad you're happy with the Droid.....just something about that name and phone that I just can't put my finger on....SMILE. Good luck with it. Oh by the way, how hard is it to find accesories for the DROID

aue123

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
headphones are universal.. chargers are all micro usb. what more would you need ? 800+ colors and designs of cases.. that's just knit picking.

LanceStoltz

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I am new here and also new to iPhones, coming from Android. I searched up this thread because well, I am one of those who had battery issues.
I bought the phone around the end of November (Apple admitted battery defects around late October so I reckon they already sort it out with the manufacturer).
But still I am having bad battery life.
I am always on 3G, my area doesn't have LTE yet, so I switched off LTE and I also switch off anything I don't need like some background apps, and most of the location services. I never get beyond 5 hours of browsing with 3G. Maximum I've got was 3-4 hours of usage when using Facebook, Safari, a few calls, texts, iMessages and whatsapp. I get around 1 - 3 bars of 3G here, bad coverage area. Is it normal?
I've restored 3 times to 7.0.4 but its still the same.
Playing games (Real Racing, PVZ 2) with everything turned off gets me about 4.30 hours.
I never get the promised 8 hours on 3G browsing as promised by Apple. Curses!
Also, sometimes the phone heats up all of a sudden. I tried turning off all iCloud syncing and push emails and the heat issue is gone. I'll still have to monitor though.

Sorry for the long post, it's my first post, btw. :)
PS, I'll post screenshots once this charge is drained.

hockeydennisk

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, all, I am in Taiwan now.
Recently, I found my battery drain too fast.
So I tested my 5S 100% at airplane mode when I sleep, after 6 hours later, I found only 50% left, and the usage only 5 mins !!!

I tried to do iOS Diagnostic with AppleCare online.
They checked my diagnostic data and said the test report shows my battery functioning normally ?!:confused:
They asked me to do "Factory Restore". I did it and test again, the battery drain fast the same.

Then they did diagnostic again, and said my battery is still functioning normally.
They asked me to do "Battery Calibration", that is "Full discharge to 0% and then recharge to 100%", and then test again. :not-interested:

Is there anyone encounter the same problem?
I think no body's battery life is shorter than me.... :crying:

?? 2013-12-7 ??9 38 21.jpg

LanceStoltz

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds normal if you only normally have 1-3 bars of 3G. Phone has to boost the radio signal more which requires more power which uses more battery.

Oh, I see. Guess my expectation was a little too high then. :rolleyes: Envy you guys that could get 8 hours easy.
Compared with a friend of mine's iPhone 5S and his drained a little more. So I guess it is normal.

IMG_0010[1].PNG
3G on all the time, a little spotify, took some pictures, whatsapp and facebook all the time, 30 mins of gaming with 3G and the rest were all Safari and miscellaneous apps. Is this normal? As you can see I have 3 bars only.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh