iPhone 5s Battery Life?

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I just don't know if I could do the 40-80% thing but I'm glad it's working for you blue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't do it either, but I've never had any problems with my battery and I always charge it to 100% overnight.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

On order: Gold iPhone 5s 64GB
Ordered: September 20, 11am PST

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Now that is something that I don't do! At night, regardless of percentage, I power down my phone and charge it in the AM while I'm getting ready for work so that as soon as it hits 100% I can unplug it.

I've often wondered how many people do something similar to this. Who actual powers down their device overnight or for an extended period? Is this preferable to just putting it in Do Not Disturb, or Airplane mode?

Personally, my iPhone 4 was on, pretty much nonstop, for the entire 3 years I owned it. It powered down due to a dead battery a handful of times... but went on to a charger and powered back up within an hour or so. Other than that, it was on. Always.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I never power down unless I actually run out of battery. I just do DND at night. And I usually just leave it plugged in all night. I don't try to remove it from charging as soon as it hits 100%.

I quite honestly likely still have a lot of tendencies from my Android days and things I read at battery university during that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I've often wondered how many people do something similar to this. Who actual powers down their device overnight or for an extended period? Is this preferable to just putting it in Do Not Disturb, or Airplane mode?

Personally, my iPhone 4 was on, pretty much nonstop, for the entire 3 years I owned it. It powered down due to a dead battery a handful of times... but went on to a charger and powered back up within an hour or so. Other than that, it was on. Always.

It maximize battery longevity you power down the device and charge to 80%. I honestly have never turned off any phone to charge.
Also I try to recalibrate every 40 days. Since the iPhone has a none removable battery I would try to take care of the battery. Anything over 80% is stressful to the battery.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
It maximize battery longevity you power down the device and charge to 80%. I honestly have never turned off any phone to charge.
Also I try to recalibrate every 40 days. Since the iPhone has a none removable battery I would try to take care of the battery. Anything over 80% is stressful to the battery.

Hmm. Well, after 3 years of being continuously active, my iPhone 4 still holds a charge fine. Lasts throughout the day, even on iOS 7, no problem. I also didn't let it run down to completely dead very often. As I said, maybe a handful of times in 3 years. A far cry from the "once a month" recommendation. It also was routinely charged until the charging indicator changed from the lightning bolt to the plug symbol, indicating a topped off full charge. I did not, however, leave it charging overnight... unless I fell asleep with it on the charger... in which case, it was maybe on for 4 hours tops, as I wake up throughout the night.

I recently sold it to my friend's wife after picking up my 5S, and she has no complaints of any battery life issues.

Knowing these tips and tricks now, I may treat the battery in the 5S differently... but the ol'iPhone 4 was, and still is, a trooper... considering my less than optimal charging behavior.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea my wide 2 year old 4s usually doesn't make it a whole day on the weekends as she works 16 hours but during the week it's better. I say her battery is still good and she charges it up every night and leaves it there. Apples batteries seem really durable. I'm wondering if thee is something in iOS that prevents overcharge the battery. Indoubt it though.

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
mine has been great

turned off all the extra location settings, and turned off the background app refresh. lot better battery life / standby than my iPhone 5, thats for sure

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Yea my wide 2 year old 4s usually doesn't make it a whole day on the weekends as she works 16 hours but during the week it's better. I say her battery is still good and she charges it up every night and leaves it there. Apples batteries seem really durable. I'm wondering if thee is something in iOS that prevents overcharge the battery. Indoubt it though.

Yes. Once your battery reaches 100% it stops charging even if it remains plugged in.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Once your battery reaches 100% it stops charging even if it remains plugged in.

I meant more on the lines of stopping the battery at say 80% compacity but still have the OS report 100%

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I meant more on the lines of stopping the battery at say 80% compacity but still have the OS report 100%

I highly doubt they would do that, but I can't say for sure of course. It would be interesting if they allowed you to set the point at which you wanted the phone to stop charging.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt they would do that, but I can't say for sure of course. It would be interesting if they allowed you to set the point at which you wanted the phone to stop charging.

Yes I do doubt that. That would be nice but it's the batteries digital circuitry that relays to the OS what the percentage is. That can get messed up. That's why u have to calibrate batteries on phones every so often .

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes I do doubt that. That would be nice but it's the batteries digital circuitry that relays to the OS what the percentage is. That can get messed up. That's why u have to calibrate batteries on phones every so often .

Yes I know. :)

Arrival date: October 16

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
What I wanna know is why does iOS use so much battery when wifi is on. In the android world it's all about having wifi on to conserve battery

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
What I wanna know is why does iOS use so much battery when wifi is on. In the android world it's all about having wifi on to conserve battery

I leave my wifi on for that reason. Apple recommends it conserve battery also.

Arrival date: October 16

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I plugged mine in at 20% at 11:30 (cst) last night. I thought to show usage it had completely drain & charge completely to 100% ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1381623198.651859.jpg

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

ltoruch

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's mine, quite satisfied with my battery performance! I'm from Singapore and coming from my 4S, this is a huge improvement.
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1381643268.526625.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2