iPhone 5s Battery Life?

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 5s since launch and with a few tweaks I am getting great battery life! Also it charges so fast it really doesn't matter to me.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You know, I never fully discharge my device. I only run it down to the 20% notification on weekends since I listen to music on my commute home from work.

clarkkent06

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
View attachment 39690

My battery is getting destroyed. I have no clue why. I have background app refresh turned off, location services (the frequent locations one) off, reduce motion, screen brightness is less than half, bluetooth off

Ok today looks a little better, we'll see. I turned app refresh and location services back on, reduce motion is still off, brightness about half. Bluetooth still off.

Yesterday I spent about 1.75 hours in a hospital for doctor's appointments, the 4g/3g was marginal at best, most times I barely had data. Could that have killed the battery that much? In similar situations again, should I just turn LTE and 3G off?

clarkkent06

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
A marginal signal causes the phone to increase power to the antenna and radios, so yes, a bad signal will deplete the battery faster.

Makes sense, and that's what I figured, but I swear with my 4 it wouldn't die that quickly in that hospital. Maybe the LTE radio is more power hungry under a bad signal than the 3G radio is?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Makes sense, and that's what I figured, but I swear with my 4 it wouldn't die that quickly in that hospital. Maybe the LTE radio is more power hungry under a bad signal than the 3G radio is?

As far as I know, LTE is much more power efficient than 3G under all conditions. But, switching back and forth between the LTE and 3G radios while searching for a strong signal probably doesn't help battery life at all.

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
With my phones (iPhones and Android), these are my golden rules to battery life:
- Turn down screen brightness as low as possible. Unless you're in the sunlight.
- Try to keep the functionality to a dumbphone when you're not using it. In other words, turn off bluetooth, gps, data, wifi, if you don't need it. For example, if you're at work and have internet on your workstation, turn off data to your phone. Saves battery and data.
- Airplane mode is like adding an extra 1000mAh to your battery. Got three 1hr meetings today where you really can't be on your phone? Airplane mode the phone for 3hrs. Best battery extender. If you're not going to get any calls due to poor reception, might as well turn it off until you get to somewhere you do have reception.
- Sync? Only email. For example, if I need my NYT articles updated, I'll update them when I open the app.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Just adding on. One of the kids dentist office is at the base of a fairly steep and narrow ravine/valley. Despite the fact that the office is on the 3rd and top floor - a one hour visit zaps the battery big time. Ranging back and forth from 1X to no signal is likely the culprit.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Apple, on their website, recommends a full discharge about once a month, but full discharges should not occur more frequently than that. I would prefer to proceed based on what Apple says rather then what various and sundry websites tell you. Personally, I perform a full discharge once every month or two.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

Correct. One full discharge for every 40 topoff and normal charging. When u fully discharge a Li-ion battery it sets flags at full discharge and then another at full charge as long as u let it stay on charger long enough meet that mark. To maximize life charge to 80% with device off and keep the temp down. I don't see either one of those happening though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

clarkkent06

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1381296230.015739.jpg

Ok today was much better. Pretty much everything on except Bluetooth and motion. This is pretty good, I guess it was definitely the 1.5 hours at the doctor's that did it

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

apple_power_user

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
One thing I'd like to point out: If you are getting "bad" battery life, if could be your carrier's settings/optimization for the iPhone on their network.

My iPhone 4, on AT&T, averaged a day to a day and a half easy, easy, between charges. The same iPhone 4, once unlocked and on Straight Talk/T-Mobile, chewed through its battery in 16-18 hours. Same phone. Same usage patterns. Same charging habits. Only difference was the SIM, and APN/Carrier settings.

I also switched it back to AT&T after a time, and the battery life returned to what I was used to. No other changes besides SIM and carrier.

This is true. I live and work in China and when I went to the Philippines over the summer my battery life decreased dramatically. As with you, same usage pattern.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I should update my phone to ios 7.02 right? Just want to see if it does really help anyone else to improve battery life with the new ios.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I haven't really noticed any real battery life difference between this phone and my old iPhone 5...honestly, under my usage conditions, it's really a mirror image.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Tried full use after charge to 100% last night. First time since getting the phone on first day.

6 hrs 17 min Usage
20 hrs 32 min Standby
With 19% remaining

Hit 100% charge 9:30 PM, unplug charger. Use phone as alarm 4:20 AM and off to work LTE ATT three bars. Made calls, text, e-mails, web surf a little over six hours through the day. Arrive back home 6:02 PM. 19% battery left plug back in. Screen at about 40%, no wifi or bluetooth at work. Quite happy with battery life. Since getting phone have been charging when about 40% and stopping charge at 80%. Takes about 30 minutes for this. Normally don't drop below 30% nor leave charger connect at 100%. Usually unplug after between 80-90%.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Tried full use after charge to 100% last night. First time since getting the phone on first day.

6 hrs 17 min Usage
20 hrs 32 min Standby
With 19% remaining

Hit 100% charge 9:30 PM, unplug charger. Use phone as alarm 4:20 AM and off to work LTE ATT three bars. Made calls, text, e-mails, web surf a little over six hours through the day. Arrive back home 6:02 PM. 19% battery left plug back in. Screen at about 40%, no wifi or bluetooth at work. Quite happy with battery life. Since getting phone have been charging when about 40% and stopping charge at 80%. Takes about 30 minutes for this. Normally don't drop below 30% nor leave charger connect at 100%. Usually unplug after between 80-90%.

I just don't know if I could do the 40-80% thing but I'm glad it's working for you blue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just don't know if I could do the 40-80% thing but I'm glad it's working for you blue!
I have an extra charger and cable at work. When i see its low I pop it on for 20 minutes amd good to go. Then i don't have to even think about it rest of day
When i get home from work pop it on charge while i change and clean up like 15 to 25 minutes.
What i want to avoid is leaving charger on for 6 to 8 hours overnight. Since battery will most definatly be full in les than an hour.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
What I want to avoid is leaving charger on for 6 to 8 hours overnight

Now that is something that I don't do! At night, regardless of percentage, I power down my phone and charge it in the AM while I'm getting ready for work so that as soon as it hits 100% I can unplug it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner