iPhone 5s Battery Life?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Unplugged yesterday around 6am. It's about 1pm now, the following day.

27 hours standby/4 hours usage (a few calls, lot of texts, email, maps, safari browsing, Facebook/Instagram, few pictures taken and uploaded to Photobuckt) 43% battery remaining.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
One thing I'd like to point out: If you are getting "bad" battery life, if could be your carrier's settings/optimization for the iPhone on their network.

My iPhone 4, on AT&T, averaged a day to a day and a half easy, easy, between charges. The same iPhone 4, once unlocked and on Straight Talk/T-Mobile, chewed through its battery in 16-18 hours. Same phone. Same usage patterns. Same charging habits. Only difference was the SIM, and APN/Carrier settings.

I also switched it back to AT&T after a time, and the battery life returned to what I was used to. No other changes besides SIM and carrier.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
6a7ygeza.jpg

Best I've gotten! Hey Irish I'm finally getting what you did on your 5 LOL lets hope it keeps up.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

clarkkent06

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1381190015.307885.jpg

My battery is getting destroyed. I have no clue why. I have background app refresh turned off, location services (the frequent locations one) off, reduce motion, screen brightness is less than half, bluetooth off

clarkkent06

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah my iPhone 4 had much better battery life. I'm going to take it to apple tomorrow and try to get a replacement. I can barely last 8 hours at work. It's 19% now

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Couple settings I personally have turned OFF which may improve battery life:

-Bluetooth (unless you're using it)
-Notifications Center>Access on lock screen>Today view
-Notifications Center>Today View>Stocks
-Control Center>Access on lock screen
-General>Siri>Raise to Speak
-General>Spotlight search>everything
-General>Background app refresh>whatever apps you don't want refreshing
-General>Date & Time>set automatically
-Sounds>Vibrate on ring
-Privacy>Advertising>Limit ad tracking
-Privacy>Location services>Weather/Passbook
-Privacy>Location services>System services>Location-based iAds/Popular near me/Setting time zone/Frequent locations
-iTunes & App store>Automatic downloads>All
-Music>Show all music
-iBooks>Show all purchases/Online content
-Passcode & Fingerprint>Allow access when locked>Siri/Passbook

It took some time and tinkering about, but I've found having the settings listed above disabled, does not reduce my ability to, or decrease the pleasure of, using my phone as I need to. Most of my settings besides those mentioned above are set to default. If they were off by default, I usually left them off.

Also, under Wallpaper & Brightness, I have Auto-Brightness turned on.

I only have WiFi turned on 1) when available, and 2) when I am actually going to use data.

Location Services is on and most apps that have asked for access to my location, are enabled. Same for Notifications Center... most apps that ask to push me notifications, are enabled to do so.

4G/LTE is also enabled.

AutoLock is set to immediate, and I use my touchID.

I will enable/disable Reduce Motion depending on what my wallpaper image is... if the image doesn't have enough reference points to notice the relative motion of the parallax effect, I enable Reduce Motion.

Pretty much anything I actually use is enabled.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Unplugged at ~ 0600 with 100% charge. Have most all default stuff on minus disabling Weather and Stocks. I forgot to turn Bluetooth on for the drive to/from work. No WiFi while at work, but at least four hours Music, plus light iMessage and email. Averaging only two dots for 4G LTE given where I sit in the building. Now I do turn on Airplane mode during lunch while at the gym as there's barely 1X in the basement and the metal locker while working out.

10 minutes of Personal Hotspot to check work email before an evening appointment, and then updating a few apps via Home WiFi along with limited iMessage/SMS. Still at over 50% battery left. I'd experiment with leaving uncharged overnight, but don't have a spare Lightening cable at work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 60

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
After 2 weeks with my 5S, my routine is typically off the charger at 6am and still have approx 40-50% before putting on the charger around 11pm....and thats with screen at almost full brightness and moderate use (wifi mostly) with mostly music (native app) and streaming Spotify and Vevo on and off during my 8 hour work day, some phone calls, checking Feedly every hour and some games like Asphalt 8 and Candy Crush Saga.

Out of ALL the smartphones I have had since 2006 (and thats a TON of them), the 5S has thus far provided me with the best battery life I have experience with any smartphone, ever. I am most definitely pleased.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You're mistaken. Lithium-ion batteries dont need conditioning/calibrating.

Thats not entirely accurate. They have a digital circuitnthat reports can get out of sync. A full discharge followed my a full charge id say 8 ho7rs. Is needed

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
LoL my husband has a Samsung Galaxy S3 and his battery life is NOT any better than that reported in this thread! It drives him crazy.

The reason for this is the choice of SoC used. The s4 lasts a decent time... now if u took a iPhone and had a 2800mah battery that would probably last 3 days easy. My note 2 lasts a full 5 hours screen on time. And is kuch slower in the gpu department then thr 5!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

vigilant

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I gotta be honest, I don't get how some of you are getting so low on battery usage. I use my phone for work calls all during the day from 9 to 6 and have about 10 to 15% when I hop in my car for dinner. I use a car charger when I get in the car.

I've got two emails addresses with one set to poll every 30 minutes for Gmail.

The only variable I can think of is the wifi.

Sorry that some of you are having issues.

I know when I was in New York and Seattle seemed like my battery was going down faster. I don't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vigilant

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The 5S should get better battery life the longer you use it. Not because of battery conditions but because of opportunistic use of network resources for multitasking tasks.

I'd encourage you to watch the what's new in multitasking session from WWDC 2013.

TLDR is iOS will run I short bursts apps that you use most often when network conditions are favorable/being used for something else/fits an understood usage pattern. For example, if you normally read your news reader at lunch, and your email client is checking for mail at around when the so expects you to use the reader, the phone will run the fetch task to match that pattern. That is a big over simplification of how it's explained. Worth a read if you like that stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I un-plugged my 5s before work at 76% (work at grocery store) used during 2, 15min breaks. Turning off at 57% (don't have wifi at work) Mine seems to be doing alot better the my 4s running 7.0 did. Is my 32gb 5s the main reason my battery is good, witch my 4s was 16gb? I'm scared to drain all the way & charge full because of articles I've read & rumors I've heard of that not being good for it.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I un-plugged my 5s before work at 76% (work at grocery store) used during 2, 15min breaks. Turning off at 57% (don't have wifi at work) Mine seems to be doing alot better the my 4s running 7.0 did. Is my 32gb 5s the main reason my battery is good, witch my 4s was 16gb? I'm scared to drain all the way & charge full because of articles I've read & rumors I've heard of that not being good for it.

Running it down to about 10% is about the lowest I would go before putting on the charger based on the current battery technology. Others will say to FULLY discharge the battery, but sometimes that causes issues getting the phone to boot back up for some people (not just iphones, but other smartphones as well). Also completely discharging it does not automatically guarantee you better battery life. What may work for some, may not work for others.

apple_power_user

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Running it down to about 10% is about the lowest I would go before putting on the charger based on the current battery technology. Others will say to FULLY discharge the battery, but sometimes that causes issues getting the phone to boot back up for some people (not just iphones, but other smartphones as well). Also completely discharging it does not automatically guarantee you better battery life. What may work for some, may not work for others.

Apple, on their website, recommends a full discharge about once a month, but full discharges should not occur more frequently than that. I would prefer to proceed based on what Apple says rather then what various and sundry websites tell you. Personally, I perform a full discharge once every month or two.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The 5s does seem to have a better battery, but of your a power user it will still fail before the end of the day. I hate the look of those morphia power packs so I picked up a small external charger, sold by Anker I think. Works really well and can use it with my iPad mini too if I need to!