iPhone 5s Battery Life?

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, to a certain extent. When you get a new iPhone it is recommended to let the phone die then fully charge it to 100 and let it die again and do the same process. This does help you get better battery life, you hit the nail on the head! when are you getting your iPhone?

lush242000

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, to a certain extent. When you get a new iPhone it is recommended to let the phone die then fully charge it to 100 and let it die again and do the same process. This does help you get better battery life, you hit the nail on the head! when are you getting your iPhone?

Recommended by whom?

Sent from somewhere.

WhiteRa

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
My iPhone 5s that I just received today got very hot over simple tasks, such as taking a picture. I also noticed the battery drain really fast when trying to set up my iPhone (setting, email, etc.) like 1% every 2-3 minutes, but that's just a estimate, since I wasn't timing it or anything.
I read that the heating is caused by the OS, and apparently other devices (iPhone 5/4s) are also suffering from the heat issue. Battery issue caused by the heat maybe? Dunno.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I do a little of that "conditioning" especially in the beginning. I try to kill it and then fully recharge.

Johnbibbs

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting better results on my 5S compared to my 5. Usage is between 8 & 10 hours, I unplug my phone around 7am in the morning and plug it back in around 1am the next day. Battery usually has 5-10% left when I go to bed.

I'm thrilled with the results so far, my 5 never last this long.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It really helps to know what eats power and what the lithium ion battery likes amd dislikes. Location and screen brightness are big consumers of energy.

Push notifications, and location services for apps can really consume power. Buy turning off or limiting which apps keep sending and receiving info you can really improve battery life. Do you really care that a game knows your location or receives push updates?

Set auto brightness to off. With pull up settings it's easy to adjust manually. Also consider what apps need updates via LTE in back ground. I let mine update when i open them.

Now for keeping your battery happy. Lithium ion batteries have a sweet spot of between 40% to 80%. Try to stay within that charge range as much as possible.

Once a month charge from 20% to 100% to set the percentage accuracy. Try not to drop below 20%. Nor keep charger connected at 100% for extended times. Your battery will keep its max capacity longer and have a longer life following these guide lines.

Lastly lithium ion batterys hate heat. Ideally they work best at about 40 degrees fahrenheit. Getting to 100 degrees and above kills em. Never leave in hot car, sun etc. Also during heavy discharge or recharge when battery gets hot, a cooling breeze, fan, helps them stay in top shape

I realize some of this sounds like a pain. But the physics can't be ignored without consequences.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like a synopsis of what's stated over at battery university. I lived on that site during my Android days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Pick up info from all over. For instance, the control module in the Prius keeps its' lithium ion battery pack between 60% as a low and 80% as a high. This maximizes life of battery. At $10,000 a pack, Toyota makes sure it lasts beyond warranty period.

I just hit 40% on phone. Plugged it in and took it to 80% in 36 minutes while still surfing the net. Unplugged will be good now for 5 hours of use and on standby till mid morning. Then plug in for half hour at work for rest of day's use. Been doing this for a week. seems to need between 60 to 90 minutes of charge in 24 hours.

KingaSpades

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I use my phone differently. I keep it plugged in on my desk at work because you never know what will happen or when you'll have to be away from an electrical outlet for a really long time so when I do leave my desk I want to be at 100 percent. The fact that it's always plugged in allows me to do some super heavy lifting with no consequences. I don't think that a phone has died on me in about 2 years. This is the reason that I took an HTC one back to the store. It wouldn't charge at all while I used it. I'm pretty happy with the life of my battery though. When I'm out of the office I'm always using navigation, playing games, watching movies, taking pictures, emailing and anything else that I want to do. It hasn't died on me yet. I normally get at least 7 hours of the plug with super heavy use.

WhiteRa

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Lastly lithium ion batterys hate heat. Ideally they work best at about 40 degrees fahrenheit. Getting to 100 degrees and above kills em. Never leave in hot car, sun etc. Also during heavy discharge or recharge when battery gets hot, a cooling breeze, fan, helps them stay in top shape

I realize some of this sounds like a pain. But the physics can't be ignored without consequences.

40 degrees Fahrenheit? That's cold.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yup, that is cold. I was amazed when I first came across that myself. Cell phones are actually bad enviroments for lithium ion batteries. Tight enclosure, no cooling fan, and they sit right next to an electric heater, the processing chip. Which get quite hot when it crunches numbers like taking burst mode pictures at 10 frames a second.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Not bad
my2edy5a.jpg

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
After the third full charge, I have found that my Verizon unlocked iPhone 5S has the best battery life of any iPhone that I've owned thus far. I'm now getting between 10 to 12.5 hours of usage out of a charge.

8uqa5y2y.jpg

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Man! You all are brutal on those batteries. Those people taking the phone down to below 20% Is that a regular daily thing you do? Or just a test to see total time?

If you have chance to top to about 80% sometime during the day you all could add some longevity to your phone's battery. If you traveling i can understand it. but at work pop charger on for 30 min.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner