Here's mine currently:
    Attached Thumbnails iPhone 5s Battery Life?-ameusage.png  
    09-30-2013 10:11 AM
    iPhone 5s Battery Life?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1380555997.277242.jpg

This is what I got from my very first full charge of the 5s. Very impressed! I was on 4G the entire time. I'm from Singapore, btw
    09-30-2013 11:47 AM
    As long as I am not downloading a lot of apps or steaming iTunes Radio, my battery does pretty well...

Sent from my iPhone 5s.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-30-2013 12:26 PM
    Here's mine currently:
    I would assume you are almost treating your iPhone as a normal cell phone with a black screen but you are always on WiFi and not even on 2G. That's the only way to achieve the crazy battery life you have.
    09-30-2013 12:31 PM
    I would assume you are almost treating your iPhone as a normal cell phone with a black screen but you are always on WiFi and not even on 2G. That's the only way to achieve the crazy battery life you have.
    Actually no, I almost NEVER turn on wifi. I only turn it on to upload videos to Dropbox, iCloud backup or do big downloads. I never use bluetooth either. LTE is always turned on, I've never turned that off because I bought a 5S in part for LTE. During the day at work I usually check my email on my computer, simply because I am on the computer, so it often doesn't even hit the phone before I've sent/replied/sent/replied a few times. I also turn it on airplane mode over night because one of my two numbers (one number gets forwarded here for calls) is like 1 number off from one of our children's hospitals, and you only need to be awakened by a panicked parent/grandparent dialing the wrong number at 2am once. The only app that I leave Location Services on for is Find my iPhone. Parallax is off, background app refresh is off. Basically anything that would suck power or be annoying to me is off til I need it with exception to email, texting, phonecalls.

I posted earlier in the thread about this:::
    "I don't play with it all day, I don't use Wifi much, never bluetooth, never location services, never weather or stocks, I turn a lot of stuff off because I don't use/need it. And I turn airplane mode on at bedtime and don't turn my phone on til I leave for or get to work and clean out my inboxes online first."

"Well I don't need "the complete features of an iPhone" to always be turned on. They're there when I need them and then I turn them right back off. I can look out the window to see the weather, so I have no need for a weather app. I almost never use Wifi, unless I have to, I never use Bluetooth, other than when I was on vacation and wanted to sync my fitbit. I have my brightness down at like 20-25% and then autobrightness on. But for me, turning airplane mode on at night is a HUGE battery saver. Anyone that really needs us overnight can get hold of us on another phone number, so my phone is turned to Airplane Mode on purpose. And it makes a world of difference. I have Gmail on Fetch 15 minutes, Google Apps is set for push, Outlook is Push and iCloud Mail is push but I don't use that much."
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-30-2013 04:49 PM
    Actually no, I almost NEVER turn on wifi. I only turn it on to upload videos to Dropbox, iCloud backup or do big downloads. I never use bluetooth either. LTE is always turned on, I've never turned that off because I bought a 5S in part for LTE. During the day at work I usually check my email on my computer, simply because I am on the computer, so it often doesn't even hit the phone before I've sent/replied/sent/replied a few times. I also turn it on airplane mode over night because one of my two numbers (one number gets forwarded here for calls) is like 1 number off from one of our children's hospitals, and you only need to be awakened by a panicked parent/grandparent dialing the wrong number at 2am once. The only app that I leave Location Services on for is Find my iPhone. Parallax is off, background app refresh is off. Basically anything that would suck power or be annoying to me is off til I need it with exception to email, texting, phonecalls.

I posted earlier in the thread about this:::
    "I don't play with it all day, I don't use Wifi much, never bluetooth, never location services, never weather or stocks, I turn a lot of stuff off because I don't use/need it. And I turn airplane mode on at bedtime and don't turn my phone on til I leave for or get to work and clean out my inboxes online first."

"Well I don't need "the complete features of an iPhone" to always be turned on. They're there when I need them and then I turn them right back off. I can look out the window to see the weather, so I have no need for a weather app. I almost never use Wifi, unless I have to, I never use Bluetooth, other than when I was on vacation and wanted to sync my fitbit. I have my brightness down at like 20-25% and then autobrightness on. But for me, turning airplane mode on at night is a HUGE battery saver. Anyone that really needs us overnight can get hold of us on another phone number, so my phone is turned to Airplane Mode on purpose. And it makes a world of difference. I have Gmail on Fetch 15 minutes, Google Apps is set for push, Outlook is Push and iCloud Mail is push but I don't use that much."
    I see, that's a nice strategic planning. Which is good and I liked it. Maybe I would do the same too, because I actually use nothing more than emails, texts and phone calls too. Sometimes I browse few web pages and don't need any apps to run in background. I might go for the same configuration too because better battery life = happier me.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-30-2013 05:12 PM
    That's a nice strategy ame but shoot, I use my phone more than 2 hrs during an 8 hr work day. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Yester likes this.
    09-30-2013 06:21 PM
    Usually, I don't screw with it a lot during the day because I have the luxury of being able to access whatever online on my computer. But I know that doesn't work for everyone. I just have no need or interest in a lot of things like weather or stock apps, background app refreshing, and the like.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-30-2013 09:32 PM
    Usually, I don't screw with it a lot during the day because I have the luxury of being able to access whatever online on my computer. But I know that doesn't work for everyone. I just have no need or interest in a lot of things like weather or stock apps, background app refreshing, and the like.
    I have been considering going through to see what it is I'm not using and shut it off.

09-30-2013 09:37 PM
    This is amazing after coming from Android.
    iPhone 5s Battery Life?-photo.png
    10-01-2013 09:17 AM
    Does battery life get better after it has drained/recharged a few times and/or it "settles" in. That seems to be how BlackBerry batteries are.

I'm looking forward to moving from BlackBerry to iPhone!
    10-01-2013 08:46 PM
    I think the battery life on my 5s is awesome! So far better than my 5 easy. I am thrilled with it.
    10-01-2013 09:07 PM
    Thats pretty good for a 23 hour stand by, I would be happy. I was loosing 4 percent every 4 hour.
    10-01-2013 09:11 PM
    Yes, to a certain extent. When you get a new iPhone it is recommended to let the phone die then fully charge it to 100 and let it die again and do the same process. This does help you get better battery life, you hit the nail on the head! when are you getting your iPhone?
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-01-2013 09:13 PM
    Yes, to a certain extent. When you get a new iPhone it is recommended to let the phone die then fully charge it to 100 and let it die again and do the same process. This does help you get better battery life, you hit the nail on the head! when are you getting your iPhone?
    Recommended by whom?

Sent from somewhere.
    10-01-2013 10:27 PM
    Recommended by whom?

Sent from somewhere.
    The guy at the Genius Bar told me this.

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD
    10-02-2013 12:55 AM
    My iPhone 5s that I just received today got very hot over simple tasks, such as taking a picture. I also noticed the battery drain really fast when trying to set up my iPhone (setting, email, etc.) like 1% every 2-3 minutes, but that's just a estimate, since I wasn't timing it or anything.
    I read that the heating is caused by the OS, and apparently other devices (iPhone 5/4s) are also suffering from the heat issue. Battery issue caused by the heat maybe? Dunno.
    10-02-2013 01:17 AM
    A slight increase. It all depends on how much I'm using it during the day though.
    10-02-2013 04:56 AM
    I do a little of that "conditioning" especially in the beginning. I try to kill it and then fully recharge.
    10-02-2013 10:17 AM
    I'm getting better results on my 5S compared to my 5. Usage is between 8 & 10 hours, I unplug my phone around 7am in the morning and plug it back in around 1am the next day. Battery usually has 5-10% left when I go to bed.

I'm thrilled with the results so far, my 5 never last this long.
    10-02-2013 04:07 PM
    It really helps to know what eats power and what the lithium ion battery likes amd dislikes. Location and screen brightness are big consumers of energy.

Push notifications, and location services for apps can really consume power. Buy turning off or limiting which apps keep sending and receiving info you can really improve battery life. Do you really care that a game knows your location or receives push updates?

Set auto brightness to off. With pull up settings it's easy to adjust manually. Also consider what apps need updates via LTE in back ground. I let mine update when i open them.

Now for keeping your battery happy. Lithium ion batteries have a sweet spot of between 40% to 80%. Try to stay within that charge range as much as possible.

Once a month charge from 20% to 100% to set the percentage accuracy. Try not to drop below 20%. Nor keep charger connected at 100% for extended times. Your battery will keep its max capacity longer and have a longer life following these guide lines.

Lastly lithium ion batterys hate heat. Ideally they work best at about 40 degrees fahrenheit. Getting to 100 degrees and above kills em. Never leave in hot car, sun etc. Also during heavy discharge or recharge when battery gets hot, a cooling breeze, fan, helps them stay in top shape

I realize some of this sounds like a pain. But the physics can't be ignored without consequences.
    kd7irm likes this.
    10-02-2013 09:19 PM
    That sounds like a synopsis of what's stated over at battery university. I lived on that site during my Android days!

10-02-2013 09:38 PM
    Pick up info from all over. For instance, the control module in the Prius keeps its' lithium ion battery pack between 60% as a low and 80% as a high. This maximizes life of battery. At $10,000 a pack, Toyota makes sure it lasts beyond warranty period.

I just hit 40% on phone. Plugged it in and took it to 80% in 36 minutes while still surfing the net. Unplugged will be good now for 5 hours of use and on standby till mid morning. Then plug in for half hour at work for rest of day's use. Been doing this for a week. seems to need between 60 to 90 minutes of charge in 24 hours.
    10-02-2013 10:25 PM
    I use my phone differently. I keep it plugged in on my desk at work because you never know what will happen or when you'll have to be away from an electrical outlet for a really long time so when I do leave my desk I want to be at 100 percent. The fact that it's always plugged in allows me to do some super heavy lifting with no consequences. I don't think that a phone has died on me in about 2 years. This is the reason that I took an HTC one back to the store. It wouldn't charge at all while I used it. I'm pretty happy with the life of my battery though. When I'm out of the office I'm always using navigation, playing games, watching movies, taking pictures, emailing and anything else that I want to do. It hasn't died on me yet. I normally get at least 7 hours of the plug with super heavy use.
    10-02-2013 10:46 PM

Lastly lithium ion batterys hate heat. Ideally they work best at about 40 degrees fahrenheit. Getting to 100 degrees and above kills em. Never leave in hot car, sun etc. Also during heavy discharge or recharge when battery gets hot, a cooling breeze, fan, helps them stay in top shape

I realize some of this sounds like a pain. But the physics can't be ignored without consequences.
    40 degrees Fahrenheit? That's cold.
    10-03-2013 03:40 AM
570 12345 ...