Yes of course, the stronger the coverage the less power the phone wastes looking for coverage. So if you live in an area that has 5 bars you will always expect a perfect battery life.

Things can get even worse when the iPhone keeps looking for both 3G and LTE when the coverage is lost due to a black spot. That's why I wish Apple returns the "2G only feature".

Maybe in the past I would just jailbreak my device to add a feature like 2G only if available, but now I don't feel like jailbreaking. I am afraid some bad add ons on a jailbreak can get access to the Finger ID.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    Where I stay, the reception is very bad. But at my girlfriends place the reception has improved and I have good reception but battery life is still horrible.
    I get full coverage but I don't get 8 hours.
    09-28-2013 04:27 AM
    Where I stay, the reception is very bad. But at my girlfriends place the reception has improved and I have good reception but battery life is still horrible.
    Yes, I didn't really mean you will get the full 8 hours said by Apple. Coverage is one of the many factors affecting the battery life, but it is also considered a battery killer. One other battery killer is the screen brightness.

09-28-2013 04:33 AM
    Yes, I didn't really mean you will get the full 8 hours said by Apple. Coverage is one of the many factors affecting the battery life, but it is also considered a battery killer. One other battery killer is the screen brightness.

My iPhone is set to auto brightness. I noticed when the phone is in direct sunlight the auto brightness pushes to the maximum. That could be a big reason. I'm thinking maybe I'll turn it off.
    09-28-2013 04:35 AM
    My iPhone is set to auto brightness. I noticed when the phone is in direct sunlight the auto brightness pushes to the maximum. That could be a big reason. I'm thinking maybe I'll turn it off.
    Don't, it is actually better to have it on than turning it off. Just make sure the brightness toggle is in the center or lower, not higher.

09-28-2013 04:41 AM
    Battery life depends on what you are doing on the phone. The standard test Apple and others use is simply web browsing. Laptop tests are yet same way. So of you are doing something else more multiple things battery life would be expected to be worse than the manufacturer quoted amount.

Cellular signal strength matters too as does screen brightness.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-28-2013 08:14 AM
    Battery life depends on what you are doing on the phone. The standard test Apple and others use is simply web browsing. Laptop tests are yet same way. So of you are doing something else more multiple things battery life would be expected to be worse than the manufacturer quoted amount.

Cellular signal strength matters too as does screen brightness.
    Mmm. Okay. I get what you are saying. I'll do a test and just browse the internet and do nothing else. I always make sure things are switched off that I don't use.
    09-28-2013 08:18 AM
    09-28-2013 08:23 AM
    I know my battery life has decreased from my 5. I am hoping it stabilizes over the next week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    09-28-2013 10:14 AM
    Mmm ok. With all those things off its like not having the complete features of an iPhone :-/.
    If that's the way of saving battery so be it. I use the weather only in the morning , I use wi Fi but turn it off when I don't use it. Stocks are off. But still not so great battery life. I don't have 4G yet cause of my carrier. Push mail for every 30 minutes.
    I also close all my apps from the multitasking all the time. Brightness is set at automatic.
    I also did a test to see how much battery I loose on stand by. The phone was 100% at night. I feel asleep then woke at 8am and it was 96%.
    Previously it would of drained 14%. After updating to iOS 7.0.2 battery life is a little bit better from those statistics.
    Well I don't need "the complete features of an iPhone" to always be turned on. They're there when I need them and then I turn them right back off. I can look out the window to see the weather, so I have no need for a weather app. I almost never use Wifi, unless I have to, I never use Bluetooth, other than when I was on vacation and wanted to sync my fitbit. I have my brightness down at like 20-25% and then autobrightness on. But for me, turning airplane mode on at night is a HUGE battery saver. Anyone that really needs us overnight can get hold of us on another phone number, so my phone is turned to Airplane Mode on purpose. And it makes a world of difference. I have Gmail on Fetch 15 minutes, Google Apps is set for push, Outlook is Push and iCloud Mail is push but I don't use that much.
    09-28-2013 11:14 AM
    I mostly use twitter, safari, mail, and instagram. battery life has been terrific for me thus far.

iPhone 5s Battery Life?-2013-09-28-12.01.49.png
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-28-2013 12:03 PM
    Maybe these steps help you save more battery guys. How to Save Battery Life - iPhone W/ iOS 7 Complete Guide - Snapguide
    09-28-2013 12:21 PM
    there are many people who are having this issue in iPhone 5s,may be OS7 update has to do something with this
    09-28-2013 02:57 PM
    there are many people who are having this issue in iPhone 5s,may be OS7 update has to do something with this
    That's exactly what happens every year and it turns out it's the battery itself. But since I am getting the iPhone 5S, I will be positive this year and say it's an OS issue
    09-28-2013 04:12 PM
    Mine has decreased but I've also been using LTE a lot more.. so its reality unfortunately.
    09-28-2013 06:14 PM
    I think this is awesome for the first charge with my new 5S. The 10 1/2 hours was half on LTE and half on WiFi, emails, texting, Safari & Tapatalk, and listening to music.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 09-28-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-28-2013 09:04 PM
    On a fairly typical day I will get 5-6 hours on iOS 7 on a 4S for now. I mention the 4S so that when i receive my new 5S in a few weeks I will compare and repost.
    09-28-2013 10:11 PM
    From yesterday:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    09-29-2013 12:04 PM
    Apple needs to step up I'm sorry they got androids lasting two days with heavy usage I hope the iPhone.6 is changes this
    09-29-2013 12:07 PM
    Apple needs to step up I'm sorry they got androids lasting two days with heavy usage I hope the iPhone.6 is changes this
    This is a thing I've finally come to terms with. I don't really need my phone to last all that time because I'm always near a charger. But, I did just get about 24 hrs of time off the charger from yesterday morning until this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-29-2013 01:28 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what to call this but whenever I'm done with an app I close it out. I don't use LTE, even though it's available and I don't have background app refresh on. Certain things that can be tweaked to help battery life, I've done. Maybe I'll have to turn auto screen brightness off too. Didn't think I'd have to do that anymore.

iPhone 5s Battery Life?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1380478331.531930.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    09-29-2013 02:12 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what to call this but whenever I'm done with an app I close it out. I don't use LTE, even though it's available and I don't have background app refresh on. Certain things that can be tweaked to help battery life, I've done. Maybe I'll have to turn auto screen brightness off too. Didn't think I'd have to do that anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380478331.531930.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	39106

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Yeah just your screen brightness off your battery life will improve
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    09-29-2013 02:47 PM
    I have found the standby to be incredible (when I don't have my pebble watch connected) ... I have disabled auto brightness (not only saves battery but watching the brightness change messes with my eyes) and disabled parallax effects ... I easily get through a full day with moderate usage.
    09-29-2013 02:48 PM
    I don't know what all the fuss is about with battery life. This is what I've gotten everyday since I've received mine with heavy use. Web browsing, music, Facebook, twitter, other apps and some games. I am also in a horrible area for coverage at my work with only 1 bar at 4G. It's taken me awhile to actually get the battery to die. It's a definite upgrade from my 3GS but I think its quite adequate overall.

iPhone 5s Battery Life?-battery-life.png
    09-29-2013 03:49 PM
    Is the first weekend I have had my phone being home all day on wifi.

Phone came off the charger around 6AM both days, still have over 80% battery 12 hrs later? With moderate usage
    Cellular is really burning up my battery, I always have good coverage
    09-29-2013 06:52 PM
    Is the first weekend I have had my phone being home all day on wifi.

Phone came off the charger around 6AM both days, still have over 80% battery 12 hrs later? With moderate usage
    Cellular is really burning up my battery, I always have good coverage
    That's what I've noticed as well. At work during the week, I turn off LTE because of the spotty coverage in the building and I can get through the day but sometimes i'm below 50% just before going home.
    09-29-2013 09:32 PM
570 1234 ...