5S only has 1 GB RAM DDR3?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I would always want more but I think it runs fantastic despite the seeming low #. I don't want my battery to go faster and I don't want to pay more to get.

However, when Apple some day decides they can up the memory to a # they can brag about they will claim it's the best thing that ever happened to mobile.

I would not trade my iphone for one with more money on paper when it doesn't function as well overall. Perhaps the conservative management is not a problem at all but actually benefiting me greatly. When they can up the memory considering battery and price they will. In the meantime this is the best overall solution for me.

Games should be designed better to not take so long to resume.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
It does suspend apps. Unless the developer has used certain APIs for background processing, any app which is not currently being used is suspended. Allowable background processes include audio, location services, VoIP, the new background download such as articles for an RSS reader, etc. Suspended apps remain in RAM until the RAM is needed for an open app. They appear to not be suspended if the developer has done it right because they resume almost immediately. But a suspended app is not actually doing any processing.

Apple did mention in the keynote of proper intelligent multitasking.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using iMore Forums mobile app

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Now to be fair, RAM isn't cheap and it is possibly difficult to fit all that in such a small body. I always admire Apple about the fact that they are able to fit everything in and still have a small phone body. Unfortunately, I have discovered some things that have forced me back to Android as my main Mobile OS of choice.

Microsoft however cannot make me touch Windows with a 6 meter long pole though:)

/end rant/sidetrack

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Just FYI, iOS 7 runs pretty well with only 1 GB of memory. And please remember, more RAM means a bigger hit to the battery life. The battery life hit wouldn't be worth it IMO. It runs great without more RAM.

With that said, it is possible the 5s will struggle with iOS 9, iOS 10, etc because of the low RAM available. Only time will tell...

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Just FYI, iOS 7 runs pretty well with only 1 GB of memory. And please remember, more RAM means a bigger hit to the battery life. The battery life hit wouldn't be worth it IMO. It runs great without more RAM.

With that said, it is possible the 5s will struggle with iOS 9, iOS 10, etc because of the low RAM available. Only time will tell...

No. Its not possible it WILL happen. 2GB would be great. And don't tell me iOS runs fine on 1GB because it isn't.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
No. Its not possible it WILL happen. 2GB would be great. And don't tell me iOS runs fine on 1GB because it isn't.

Are there some reports or analysis you can share that corroborates iOS 7 not running fine with 1GB RAM?

trandz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
My 5s with its "crappy 1 gig of ram and dual core processor" runs circles when doing anything and everything on the phone compared to my s4 with its great two gigs of ram and snapdragon 600...go freakin figure.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
My 5s with its "crappy 1 gig of ram and dual core processor" runs circles when doing anything and everything on the phone compared to my s4 with its great two gigs of ram and snapdragon 600...go freakin figure.

The 5s is blazing fast. The slowest part about the 5s is the animations of iOS 7, which I think need to be sped up a bit.

However, it seems like most apps are not yet utilizing the background app refresh feature so time will tell it the RAM will be good enough to handle lots of background processes.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site

No need to figure anything. Apple is the best hardware manufacturer hands down.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice