Anybody on the fence about getting the 5S? Why?

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I love the touch ID and iOS7- those are the "killer features" that are drawing me to pick up a iPhone 5S. And the gold color has me interested. Short of going to the Apple store, I've read all kinds of things about the 5S and iOS7 and like what I'm reading. BUT... I'm still on the fence for the following reasons

1) This is the first time I really haven't a good reason to upgrade.
3GS? C'mon- first smartphone? Hells yeah!

... followed by the crushing realization that AT&T in NYC was awful and I was missing work calls on it, which lead to the Droid- solid phone call abilities, it was the one smartphone I didn't worry about dropping- it was built like a tank. HOWEVER... Android was a POS and just awful, had that beta feel, totally unrefined compared to the 3GS.

Which lead me back to the iPhone 4- no problems there. Then the S3 came out and after playing around with it, I felt that this was it- that Android had righted all its wrongs. Fortunately a family member's phone was on the fritz and they could care less what phone they had, so we traded my phone for their upgrade.

And now I'm back to Android and my predicament. My S3 works great. Really, I have nothing major to complain about with the phone. I even like the design- I think the S3 hits a bit too close to 3GS terrirtory, but I like that design- what can you say, I like curves on my phone! And with all my family members content with their phones, nobody really needs an upgrade. Or wants the S3- they are all solidly in the Apple camp. So it's like I'm upgrading just for the hell of it and that bothers me a bit...

2) For the first time in iPhone history for me- there is no Jesus color I need to have. I can't tell which one I like- I'm pretty sure the silver one is out. It's down to the gold vs. space gray.

3) iOS 7? What's like to use?

The good thing about 2 and 3 is that it can easily be solved by a trip to the Apple store this weekend.
The bad thing is I'm afraid that a trip to the Apple Store will only push me toward a new 5S.
With me justifying the purchase as another trade off between another family member and their upgrade for the iPhone 6!

What's the Kindle app like on iOS? I have a Kindle Fire so I would love to access the books and magazines I have. It's too bad you can't access the instant video on it... oh well.

How are the google apps on iOS? Is google translate and drive available? How is google maps?

How is Apple's maps app?

How much HD space is available on the 16gb? 32gb?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I love the touch ID and iOS7- those are the "killer features" that are drawing me to pick up a iPhone 5S. And the gold color has me interested. Short of going to the Apple store, I've read all kinds of things about the 5S and iOS7 and like what I'm reading. BUT... I'm still on the fence for the following reasons

1) This is the first time I really haven't a good reason to upgrade.
3GS? C'mon- first smartphone? Hells yeah!

... followed by the crushing realization that AT&T in NYC was awful and I was missing work calls on it, which lead to the Droid- solid phone call abilities, it was the one smartphone I didn't worry about dropping- it was built like a tank. HOWEVER... Android was a POS and just awful, had that beta feel, totally unrefined compared to the 3GS.

Which lead me back to the iPhone 4- no problems there. Then the S3 came out and after playing around with it, I felt that this was it- that Android had righted all its wrongs. Fortunately a family member's phone was on the fritz and they could care less what phone they had, so we traded my phone for their upgrade.

And now I'm back to Android and my predicament. My S3 works great. Really, I have nothing major to complain about with the phone. I even like the design- I think the S3 hits a bit too close to 3GS terrirtory, but I like that design- what can you say, I like curves on my phone! And with all my family members content with their phones, nobody really needs an upgrade. Or wants the S3- they are all solidly in the Apple camp. So it's like I'm upgrading just for the hell of it and that bothers me a bit...

2) For the first time in iPhone history for me- there is no Jesus color I need to have. I can't tell which one I like- I'm pretty sure the silver one is out. It's down to the gold vs. space gray.

3) iOS 7? What's like to use?

The good thing about 2 and 3 is that it can easily be solved by a trip to the Apple store this weekend.
The bad thing is I'm afraid that a trip to the Apple Store will only push me toward a new 5S.
With me justifying the purchase as another trade off between another family member and their upgrade for the iPhone 6!

What's the Kindle app like on iOS? I have a Kindle Fire so I would love to access the books and magazines I have. It's too bad you can't access the instant video on it... oh well.

How are the google apps on iOS? Is google translate and drive available? How is google maps?

How is Apple's maps app?

How much HD space is available on the 16gb? 32gb?

As far as the Google apps they work great in iOS. Google maps are my go to Navigation. Apple maps always worked great for me. I don't use Google translate or drive yet but I have them. The Kindle app is fantastic. I mainly use it on a iPad 2. but it's just as great on iPhone in my opinion. I also use the Google Voice app for my voicemail wifi calls and texts through Sprint.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about getting the 5S but I really enjoy and am satisfied with the iPhone 5. So I won't be upgrading at this time.

Sent from my smokin hot, white, 64 GB, iPhone 5 on AT&T wrapped in a classic black BookBook case. FTW!

dbbude

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a 4S and am approaching the end of my contract.

However, I also have unlimited data with VZW and don't want to either give it up or pay the non-contract price for a phone. My data use is less than 4 GB/month but I will be using iTunes radio a LOT.

Guess no new phone for now....

karmamule

May 8, 2013
Visit site
What the hell????? Kindle is based on Android!!!!
Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

Yeah I think Amazon is going for the lower-end sub-iPad tablet market, and in that space Android is their big competitor, so they keep Amazon Instant Video as an exclusive plus for the Fires compared to any other of the cheaper tablets.

mrb666

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had time with both the 5 and 5s and to be truthful I really can't see a difference?!
Placing both side by side and running safari at the same time there seemed to be not speed difference. The same applied downing/opening apps and or using siri.
Other than the home button and fingerprint rec they seem identical. (Oh and needless to say colour haha)

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had time with both the 5 and 5s and to be truthful I really can't see a difference?!
Placing both side by side and running safari at the same time there seemed to be not speed difference. The same applied downing/opening apps and or using siri.
Other than the home button and fingerprint rec they seem identical. (Oh and needless to say colour haha)

I had the same experience w/ speed- they look the same when running side by side.

Camera, though, is amazing. Testing with exactly the sort of photos I take most often (many in low light) the difference in clarity, color, tone, and detail are remarkable.

I kept telling myself I was on the fence, because I should be happy with my 64GB 5. They're not that different, right?

But I wasn't on the fence, not really. Come Monday, I went looking for in-store pickup from Apple - as in: I'll just check, and if one comes to me, great, and if one doesn't appear, I won't look that hard. I'll step away and forget about it. But I couldn't forget, and one did drop from the heavens. After a day of obsessively checking and re-checking both Website and app all day, I got lucky late in the afternoon.

And darn it, it delivered on the one thing that could push me over the (rickety) fence that was (not really ever) holding me back. 64GB space gray, welcome home...

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I think that it would have made a difference if iOS 7 wasn't so buttery smooth on the 5. But it is and people like me feel no need to upgrade at this point.

Sent from my smokin hot, white, 64 GB, iPhone 5 on AT&T wrapped in a classic black BookBook case. FTW!

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have both devices in my house and being both seem very similar the 5s is much snappier IMO. As far as the finger print thing goes it's no big deal but the camera does take some better photos.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same experience w/ speed- they look the same when running side by side.

Camera, though, is amazing. Testing with exactly the sort of photos I take most often (many in low light) the difference in clarity, color, tone, and detail are remarkable.

I kept telling myself I was on the fence, because I should be happy with my 64GB 5. They're not that different, right?

But I wasn't on the fence, not really. Come Monday, I went looking for in-store pickup from Apple - as in: I'll just check, and if one comes to me, great, and if one doesn't appear, I won't look that hard. I'll step away and forget about it. But I couldn't forget, and one did drop from the heavens. After a day of obsessively checking and re-checking both Website and app all day, I got lucky late in the afternoon.

And darn it, it delivered on the one thing that could push me over the (rickety) fence that was (not really ever) holding me back. 64GB space gray, welcome home...

I couldn't describe my exact situation and experience more accurately if I tried. Exactly the same.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
After using both the iPhone 5 and the 5S back to back, I'd say that a few things will immediately strike you as "neutral"...

- The phone does not really feel much faster than the 5 when it comes to routine activity. I found myself really just using it with the same performance I came to know on my iPhone 5, but also aware that in the future, the phone's processing speed will probably be much more defined (especially with more apps taking advantage of that new chip set).
- The phone feels EXACTLY the same, there is no weight difference (and obviously no size difference), so that can be a good or bad thing depending on how you viewed the 5.
- The camera, for the most part, feels relatively the same as well...but it has A LOT more features, and it certainly does take better low light pictures. After using it, the camera difference would not have been enough to sell me (where as before, it was the main feature I was excited about).

...lastly, and this was the part that was driving me NUTS over this last weekend, but prepare for the finger print sensor to draw every person and their dog out to try it for themselves...I can't tell you how many times people were like "Oh! Let me see how the finger print sensor works!" and then it gets passed around like a hot potato. It's annoying, and since it's a "hands on" features (quite literally, lol), you're going to get a flood of people who just HAVE to try it for themselves on your device.

All in all, is it a nice phone? Very...it's beautifully designed, it works flawlessly and it has some solid features. My hang up though is that the iPhone 5 was also a nice phone, and comparatively, equal in just about every category. If I was on the fence between the iPhone 5 and the 5S, I'd probably just keep the 5...I certainly wouldn't break my neck to get the 5S if I already had a 5, and find it hilarious how much money some people are spending on this thing.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
After using both the iPhone 5 and the 5S back to back, I'd say that a few things will immediately strike you as "neutral"...

- The phone does not really feel much faster than the 5 when it comes to routine activity. I found myself really just using it with the same performance I came to know on my iPhone 5, but also aware that in the future, the phone's processing speed will probably be much more defined (especially with more apps taking advantage of that new chip set).
- The phone feels EXACTLY the same, there is no weight difference (and obviously no size difference), so that can be a good or bad thing depending on how you viewed the 5.
- The camera, for the most part, feels relatively the same as well...but it has A LOT more features, and it certainly does take better low light pictures. After using it, the camera difference would not have been enough to sell me (where as before, it was the main feature I was excited about).

...lastly, and this was the part that was driving me NUTS over this last weekend, but prepare for the finger print sensor to draw every person and their dog out to try it for themselves...I can't tell you how many times people were like "Oh! Let me see how the finger print sensor works!" and then it gets passed around like a hot potato. It's annoying, and since it's a "hands on" features (quite literally, lol), you're going to get a flood of people who just HAVE to try it for themselves on your device.

All in all, is it a nice phone? Very...it's beautifully designed, it works flawlessly and it has some solid features. My hang up though is that the iPhone 5 was also a nice phone, and comparatively, equal in just about every category. If I was on the fence between the iPhone 5 and the 5S, I'd probably just keep the 5...I certainly wouldn't break my neck to get the 5S if I already had a 5, and find it hilarious how much money some people are spending on this thing.

Good post. That was pretty much my thoughts when I took back my 5S and just kept the 5.

And you've hit on one key point. IMO, the Touch ID is driving sales for the 5S just like Siri did for the 4S. I don't even use a passcode and yet that was part of the appeal to go buy one..just to try it out.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Good post. That was pretty much my thoughts when I took back my 5S and just kept the 5.

And you've hit on one key point. IMO, the Touch ID is driving sales for the 5S just like Siri did for the 4S. I don't even use a passcode and yet that was part of the appeal to go buy one..just to try it out.

I appreciate both your and Sean's posts. I have always had to have the newest iphones. The fact that I have always been able to make it happen has been a blessing, but with Verizon changing their policy regarding unlimited data and LTE devices, I no longer can just upgrade any of my 3 lines I desire. I have one line, my mom's, that is upgradable because she just uses a basic phone. My wife and I both have unlimited data and wish to keep it that way. I bought my wife and my iphone 5's out of contract....for a pretty penny. Anyway......I used my mom's upgrade to get the 5S, primarily for the camera upgrade. But I have to be honest, after running comprasion shot after shot, I honestly find the difference to be someone incremental. And while the 120 fps is cool, it is not something I will regularly use. So, I am watching eBay closely to find another iphone 5 for hopefully at, or less, then what I sold mine for. If so, I will return the 5S and preserve that upgrade for the next iphone. It is not that the 5S is not a GREAT phone.....it is just that the 5 is pretty damn nice too and more than good enough to last me another year.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate both your and Sean's posts. I have always had to have the newest iphones. The fact that I have always been able to make it happen has been a blessing, but with Verizon changing their policy regarding unlimited data and LTE devices, I no longer can just upgrade any of my 3 lines I desire. I have one line, my mom's, that is upgradable because she just uses a basic phone. My wife and I both have unlimited data and wish to keep it that way. I bought my wife and my iphone 5's out of contract....for a pretty penny. Anyway......I used my mom's upgrade to get the 5S, primarily for the camera upgrade. But I have to be honest, after running comprasion shot after shot, I honestly find the difference to be someone incremental. And while the 120 fps is cool, it is not something I will regularly use. So, I am watching eBay closely to find another iphone 5 for hopefully at, or less, then what I sold mine for. If so, I will return the 5S and preserve that upgrade for the next iphone. It is not that the 5S is not a GREAT phone.....it is just that the 5 is pretty damn nice too and more than good enough to last me another year.

You know me too, I'm usually a strong proponent of the new devices, supporting the idea of upgrading any time one is released...this time, the differences after using it didn't strike me as ones I felt badly about not having if I had just a regular iPhone 5 still. I've actually considered just buying another 5 used, since their value has dropped a good bit in the last couple of weeks.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I really loved my 5 and I initially was getting the 5s because I was going to switch carriers. Long story short sadly I am stuck with them until my friends contract expires or her $ situation changes so while I was still interested it was no longer a need for a new phone. Honestly my biggest reason for still wanting to get the 5s was because while I liked the black/slate combo on it's own I hated the black faceplate I regretted canceling my initial white 5 preorder since I have had the phone. I wound up purchasing a 5s on launch day and I can truly say I am SSSSSOOOOO glad I upgraded!

1. Reception/Data Speeds..... I don't know why there is such a difference between my 5 and 5s but I now have LTE and my phone works in places it didn't before. This could just be a Sprint thing but I really notice the difference.
2. The other "upgrades" really are an upgrade! I see the difference in the camera and the fingerprint scanner is just plain cool (and actually works).

The 5 is still awesome and with iOS7 it was like a new phone but I can say it was 100% worth the upgrade in my experience :) good luck with whatever you choose!

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I was on the fence from the beginning but in the end a silly desire for a "gold" looking iPhone with a better camera(I use mine a lot) won out.

Had no interest in the TOUCH iD but after using it I actually really like it. Originally worried about it being too slow but, turns out it is very quick.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox