Hardware or Software Issue Regarding Self Rebooting?

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my brand new iPhone 5s on launch day 9/20/13 and yesterday it rebooted twice by itself. It also rebooted once today. On one occasion last night the screen turned blue right before it self rebooted (similar to a windows PC BSOD). I'm wondering if it's a hardware or software issue. Has anyone else had this issue? I called Verizon today and they said that if they can't fix it then they will have to order me a new one as they presently have none in stock.
Just wondering if I'm the only one (or one of few) who has experienced this issue.
Self rebooting was always something that has plague the android OS, (I've gone through 3 android handsets and it's always been a issue) but not so with iOS so needless to say, this issue is surprising to me.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It you can easily replicate how/when it reboots - it could be hardware - or software... to help ensure it's not software - you'd have to do a re-install of iOS7...

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Call Apple Support and see if they can walk you through it first, and if not, go to the Genius Bar. The carrier is worthless for this kind of stuff.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I will try giving AppleCare a call. I'm not sure if I can reproduce the problem as it seems to just happen randomly.
As far as the carriers are concerned, I'm sure they are in fact worthless in regards to troubleshooting or "fixing" a device.
The only thing I expected to really get out of them was a new device.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The carriers would likely charge you for the replacement anyway.

Call Applecare. They'll probably send you a text and remote into the device to pull the diagnostics which should register any crashes/reboots. Then they can see what might be causing it. If they can't get to the root of it, they'll try to get an appointment set up for you at the Apple Store to replace it or get the iOS re-installed on the device.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The carriers would likely charge you for the replacement anyway.

Call Applecare. They'll probably send you a text and remote into the device to pull the diagnostics which should register any crashes/reboots. Then they can see what might be causing it. If they can't get to the root of it, they'll try to get an appointment set up for you at the Apple Store to replace it or get the iOS re-installed on the device.

Thanks for the advice. I will try giving AppleCare a call. I'm not sure if I can reproduce the problem as it seems to just happen randomly.
As far as the carriers are concerned, I'm sure they are in fact worthless in regards to troubleshooting or "fixing" a device.
The only thing I expected to really get out of them was a new device.

When you say "charge for the replacement", you must be referring to the $35 restocking fee because there's no way I would pay full price for a replacement if defective hardware is in fact the culprit in my case.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
When you say "charge for the replacement", you must be referring to the $35 restocking fee because there's no way I would pay full price for a replacement if defective hardware is in fact the culprit in my case.
Yes, I am talking about the restocking fee. While it should be waived, they generally find some way to nail you with it anyway.

returns/exchanges for defective equipment are (or should be) exempt from restock fees.
Should be, but usually aren't.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I also bought on launch day and has been flawless until today. Rebooted earlier today when I tapped a phone number in the contacts app. Actually I'm not really sure it completely rebooted. It showed the apple logo for a few seconds and came back again. I was still connected to the person I was trying to call, so I'm not really sure what happened. A little while later, I got the apple logo again while trying to pull up a picture in the photos app.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
As per sprint store where I bought the 5S at launch they would charge me if I return or exchange the phone. I posted a thread here on how I discover this week my 5S is defective (screen is loose on top right corner). I went to sprint...couldn't exchange it as they didn't have inventory "of course" and if I returned it I would get hit with a $35 restocking fee. I'm just going to go across the street at the apple store Friday 9am (I have a Genius Bar appt) and get it replaced with a new one. No fees! Gotta love Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Is it a true reboot? Mine has done this twice. It still has the apps open in the background when it comes back up. It's like a video card driver on my pc in win8 that just blacks out then pops back in like a hiccup. The apple logo shows, but there should not be multitasking windows open in the background if it is rebooting. My 5 did this too, so I am going with ios 7 being buggy still. My ipad 3 does it too. My 2 kids have the 4 and it has done it to them as well.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe check the 5 forum and the IOS7 forum - perhaps IOS 7 and not the 5s...

There is also another very similar 5s thread about rebooting- maybe a merge of these two could shed light?

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Might want to give the Genius Bar a heads up so that they'll have a replacement available hopefully or maybe can hold one for you.

I already did. They flagged my appt. Most likely they will have inventory as they set aside new inventory for replacements on new iPhones. And if they don't have any they will order one and let me know once it arrives. Just glad I'm getting a new replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Restore it as new and see if it continues. If it does does then you should visit Apple for a replacement. They should have units for warranty service even if it is sold out.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My iPhone 5 just rebooted. After typing in my passcode instead of going to the home screen it crashed and there was the Apple logo. May have been a springboard crash.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
^ I think that's what happened to mine yesterday. I have two springboard crashes listed in the diagnostic data section that corresponds to the times mine appeared to reboot yesterday.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR