Coming from Android, but nervous!!!

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
IMO the only thing you're going to have to compromise about is screen real estate.... thats the big loss. Otherwise, iOS is great!

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
1) On my HTC One, I was continually trying to calm wakelocks. I got terrible idle battery drain and terrible battery drain while the screen was on. I was always trying a different ROM to contain them; to make my battery life better. While the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery, you simple do not need it in my experience. Everything is contained and nothing is allowed to run without your expressed approval.

2) Using Siri will not drain your battery, even when not using it like Google Now.

3) You will get top notch hardware support at any Apple Store unlike Android.

4) You do not have widgets so if you can't live without them, don't switch.

5) The quality of the apps is greater than Android.

All of this^^^

I was constantly chasing wakelock gremlins on my Nexus 4. Idle battery life was atrocious. Usable battery was also horrible. In a typical 24 hour day, I found I had to plug the phone in whenever possible to charge. I usually had to charge at least twice, from under 20% to 100%... once overnight, and once sometime during the day... and then any opportunity for short 10% to 20% top offs whenever I could get to an outlet. I felt I had to handcuff the phones features to make it usable throughout the day... which reduced the amount of features I could realistically use. I did love the screen... big beautiful HD screen... and being honest, it was a good looking and feeling phone. Build quality wasn't as bad as Samsung. Widgets of course will also be missed. But it's no iPhone. My iPhone 4 is a far more usable and reliable device than the Nexus 4.

My roommate is an Android fan. Using a Galaxy SIII. I notice he too has his phone plugged in to his computer or a wall socket whenever he is not on the move.

I also find it disturbing that most peoples answer to OS instability on Android is to unlock and load a custom ROM and kernel... In my opinion, all of these issues should be a concern after loading a custom ROM, not before... not on stock OS... Stock OS should just work. I shouldn't have to rely on some random programmers custom ROMs to fix what the manufacturer and/or Google couldn't or wouldn't.

In a world without iOS/iPhones... I would buy another Blackberry device over an Android. While not as feature packed as an Android, my Blackberrys have always been usable and reliable throughout the day and night, most have good build quality. (Bold 9000 sucked in that regard) and Blackberry has always had pretty good customer service and support in my opinion.

jackholl92

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
To a couple of you who asked what am i nervous about.... Its the control thing... I love how ios works.. It just works.. But I'm use to having complete control on my phone.. Music, email attachments, and more....

After asking around.. I think I've kinda figured out how to separate an android user from ios..

On iphones and any "high end" android anyone can do the basics.. Call txt, email, browse... The question I'm learning is.. what kinda tinking around do u like to do? I'd best most techy people on ios will at some point be on their computer most days of the week.. So things itunes And having to sending attachments on you desktop don't bother u one bit...

Android users who are techy don't want to touch their desktop unless they have to. So having that access is a must... Interesting!!...

I'm really hung up here.. Thanks guys!!

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using iMore Forums mobile app

I get the tinkering and never wanting to go on a PC lol I came from a Nexus 4, Lg G2, S4 , HTC One, and Note 2. As well I have had the i5, i4s, and i3gs, and original.

And I can say yes while I love tinkering. Rooting and romming for the last 2 years or so. And changing and what not. I just want a phone that works and is compatible with pretty much everything. Sending attachments and things of this sort are very easy with iOS much more fluid. And smooth. And it's kinda like Apple pre thought what you'd think and then put a button in the spot you'd want it so that it just works lol.

Definitely a different experience from android but similar in certain ways as well. I'd say if you want to tinker and what not stay with android if you want to have a streamlined smooth and really truly well thought out and built OS in regards to work ability. Go with iOS. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
You don't say? I remember when I jfgdjuhbfexghhrssttcghgvvds. It was amazing.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

newsman787

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had both for years. iOS 7 is far superior to any version of Android including the latest, the iPhone build quality and Apple service and support are also far superior. lots of people come over from android and hardly anyone goes to android from iPhone which should tell you something.

Both are excellent systems and I think someone should do what they simply want to do. However, I don't buy your assertion hardly anyone goes from IOS to Android. I loved iPhone but made the switch and glad I did. Worked for me specifically!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dtblair24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly it probably will not be that bad for you. I carry both. My current android phone is the HTC One.
Coming from that I obviously miss that screen size sometimes. Screen size is not really a feature of android but I can't think of many android devices with a screen as small as the iphones.

Other things I miss:
Customization and control android gives me. No swype, no custom homescreen, no widgets, no assigning default applications, no NFC, no installing apps from any browser, no file explorer and no haptic feedback.

iPhone likes:
Touch ID is AWESOME. Quality of apps. Build quality is top notch. Great camera. Very fast. Sometimes I do appreciate the portability of the iphone. Most of my friends have iPhones so I get to do iphone things with my iphone friends lol. Accessories are plentiful.

The experience is great on iOS and if you are all about Google services then you won't really miss a beat with iOS. The transition was easy and I still use all my google services. And google doesn't slack off just because it is for iphone. As we know google is about that $$$ and finding users so they waste no time getting their services into that app store.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm picky, and find iOS a bit iffy for my use, but I have no problem recommending it to people. In fact, if not for my iTunes Ghost of Christmas past, I probably would have made the switch.

Outside of customization and size (and a handful of specific apps), I find nothing wrong with iOS and still consider it the trendsetting platform. I enjoy tinkering with it, and comparing it to other devices. It is fluid, and there is something to be said for the uniformity of design especially when compared to Android, IMHO.

I think any open-minded person moving from Android will definitely be able to pitch a productive tent with iOS.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I too have owned lot's of android devices. While I truly enjoyed their larger screens I always ended up back on a iPhone. The simple truth about the iPhone is that things just work. Don't have to chase wake locks, or worry about finding a keyboard that works to your liking, yes there is the widget thing however in the end I mostly tapped the widgets to open the corresponding app, with iOS I just launch the app instead. There really isn't anything to fear when going to iOS, just a little change. Like others have posted if you don't like it, you could always switch back.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I made the impulse buy to get an iPhone 5S Wednesday (11/13) evening. This is after years and years of having an anti-Apple stance on anything from desktop computers, mp3 players and the like. I definitely fell into the camp of "iWhat" versus "iWow". That being said, I couldn't find a device that truly captured what I wanted in an everyday commuter. I've been on PalmOS, WebOS, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone. Up until Wednesday I had not taken a plunge into the world of iOS. Stints with a shuffle and iTunes do not count.

iOS 7 does look like Android. I am neither delusional nor am I bothered by it. It is familiar, inviting and above all else practical. The fluidity moving from one application to another, answering an email to going to a webpage to a text while listening to music - it's important to keep the user experience gratifying and limitless.

The phone functions as a phone. The dialer is there and not complicated, setting up voice mail was quick and easy and attaching my Google account to the device took all of a minute. It was actually easier, dare I say it, to register this device and use my existing services than it was with an Android.

Apps. Oh my god there are too many apps. Anyone can publish an app. I love and loathe it all at once, because while there are some gems I had wanted to try on my new 5S I am sifting through a lot of crapware as well. The amount of WTF on the app store is quadruple that of Android, but for every bad app I can still rattle off a good top 20-50 that I would be happy to run and install on my phone.

While I make an unapologetic stab at the sheer volume of apps, it is a better situation than Windows Phone where I had debated going back to after my recent stint with an HTC One. These Windows devices are currently just as fragmented as any Android I know of. My daughter uses my old Lumia 900 and I shudder every now and then when she plays a game or goes to find an app and it isn't available on the platform. Worse, it's available but only to Windows 8.0 users and up. The Lumia 900 should never have been released given that horrid limitation, but Nokia has sort of made up for that with the 1020 and forthcoming 1520.

I will always appreciate Android for what it was, what it is now and what it could be (but probably won't be) as Google goes to a more closed source nature to secure the platform and unify devices.

Windows Phone is a step in the right direction, but given its small footprint and propensity for outdated hardware I don't see anything coming out in the next 12 months that will be the equivalent of an iPhone 5S or Nexus 5. I could be wrong and I honestly hope that I am. Competition is good for the consumer.

iPhones. I can't believe I bought one. However, it just works. The experience is unified and there are apps galore. I can walk into just about any store and buy an iPhone accessory. I'm almost assured to have the same user experience with my device as someone else here with a 5S. I may have a 16GB model (I don't use a ton of apps and back up to the cloud), but I feel that this device has already gotten more mileage than the more storage rich devices I have owned in the last 18 months.

If you want a user-friendly experience that is uncompromising in its effort to build its services around you, try an iPhone. The size and button layout may be off-putting at first but I'm slowly getting used to it. Coming from a much larger HTC One, Lumia 1020 and Nexus 4 I can say that screen real estate is not necessarily paramount to a worthwhile user experience. Apple may not have been the innovator that others claim them to be (I've said as much myself ad nausem and this is by no means an attempt to be a troll) however the package they put together is maybe a pinch or so shy from perfection.

Ditch the droid and get an iPhone.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I did something stupid and sold my 5S for a Nexus 5 mostly cause of the profit I knew I would make, have been jobless for the past year, now have two! So for any you guys wondering why I haven't posted on here lately I've been lurking AC. But anywhoo I thought I could use the Nexus till the iPhone 6 came out but boy was I wrong I discovered I now hate Android and miss so many things from my 5S that Android sucks at or doesn't have. Going from iOS to Android the first time I really appreciated it but after using iOS again after a year to come back to Android I'm going nuts and want my iPhone back :'(

Carried by a raven from the wall.

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all of you guys!!! So after almost 2 weeks with my iPhone 6, I love it!!! I will miss downloading music directly on my phone via torrents but it's not that big of a deal. iOS is so fluid and it's so well thought out. I have 0 regrets on the switch.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all of you guys!!! So after almost 2 weeks with my iPhone 6, I love it!!! I will miss downloading music directly on my phone via torrents but it's not that big of a deal. iOS is so fluid and it's so well thought out. I have 0 regrets on the switch.

So you basically miss the fact that on iOS you can't steal music lmao.

iDivergent

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not really new to iOS but i have used many Android phones before i switched to Apple.
iOS 7 is really nice but now the iOS 8 has been released is it even more better for using the amazing operating system.
It's really worth it :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2