Considering an iPhone

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm a visiting Android Central forum member and i have been going back and forth about trying an iphone after 5yrs on android... There are many things i can do without if i move to an iphone... The toughest this will be the smaller screen.. But i can manage.. However the one thing i can not do without is my freedom over my music... So i need your honest opinion and help. As of today i can download music from anywhere(websites) on my phone, torrents are usually how i roll.. Once its downloaded I move the files to my music folders which my music player is set to read from.. And thats it... Its ready to play on any music app..

My issue is it doesn't appear that i can do this without jailbreaking an iphone.. I have been looking for answers and can't find any. Well I'v learned it is possible to download torrents on an iphone.. But after that where is the file? .. And i don't want to play the songs one by one.... I'll want a music player that has all of my downloaded music without having to go home and sync itunes... So is this possible? Or if this is a deal-breaker.. The deal is broken! Please help

Sent from my Galaxy note2 using iMore Forums mobile app

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Considering an iphone

Hi, and welcome to iMore!

Unfortunately, without jailbreaking an iPhone, it’s not possible to load apps or music from anywhere except the Apple iTunes/App Store and/or your computer using iTunes... How you get your music into iTunes is your business, and not controlled by Apple in any way... but to get it onto the phone, you have to use iTunes, or join Team Jailbreak.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

From the sound of it - the deal breaker is indeed a broken deal... you can do all you want to do with music on a computer - then add things to iTunes library and it will then get to the phone or other devices. Android is probably a better choice for you.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm a visiting Android Central forum member and i have been going back and forth about trying an iphone after 5yrs on android... There are many things i can do without if i move to an iphone... The toughest this will be the smaller screen.. But i can manage.. However the one thing i can not do without is my freedom over my music... So i need your honest opinion and help. As of today i can download music from anywhere(websites) on my phone, torrents are usually how i roll.. Once its downloaded I move the files to my music folders which my music player is set to read from.. And thats it... Its ready to play on any music app..

My issue is it doesn't appear that i can do this without jailbreaking an iphone.. I have been looking for answers and can't find any. Well I'v learned it is possible to download torrents on an iphone.. But after that where is the file? .. And i don't want to play the songs one by one.... I'll want a music player that has all of my downloaded music without having to go home and sync itunes... So is this possible? Or if this is a deal-breaker.. The deal is broken! Please help

Sent from my Galaxy note2 using iMore Forums mobile app

You answered your own question...the deal is broken, because iTunes is not a suitable environment for you to control your music.

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Hi, and welcome to iMore!

Unfortunately, without jailbreaking an iPhone, it?s not possible to load apps or music from anywhere except the Apple iTunes/App Store and/or your computer using iTunes... How you get your music into iTunes is your business, and not controlled by Apple in any way... but to get it onto the phone, you have to use iTunes, or join Team Jailbreak.

So whats the deal with jailbreaking? Im sure it void any warranty, I've been told the carrier store reps can't tell if its Jailbroken though, I've also been told if u jailbreak u won't get any updates.. So do you have to manually updates ios? .. I've had my fair share of hacking on android and I'm just over headaches... The reason im considering iphone is for its fluid and non troublesome OS so does jailbreaking defeat that?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using iMore Forums mobile app

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

So whats the deal with jailbreaking? Im sure it void any warranty, I've been told the carrier store reps can't tell if its Jailbroken though, I've also been told if u jailbreak u won't get any updates.. So do you have to manually updates ios? .. I've had my fair share of hacking on android and I'm just over headaches... The reason im considering iphone is for its fluid and non troublesome OS so does jailbreaking defeat that?

Jailbreaking does NOT break your warranty. Apple doesn’t like it and won’t support it, but it is most definitely not illegal, nor does it void your warranty. However there is no JB yet for iOS 7...

I will defer to the JB folks here to provide additional info...

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Do you not have a computer bro? Is it that hard to do? iTunes wireless sync helps a lot.

I have 3..it is to difficult when I'm not home much.. If it can't be done it can't.. No biggie.. It just may not be the phone and OS for me.. Sucks cause I'd like to try it... But I'm not going to adjust my self that much to make it work... Thanks!!!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Once upon a time, I did jailbreak... will fill in what I can... as far as iOS updates go - if you jailbreak, yeah - it becomes a manual process to update... first, you'd have to wait for the jailbreak tool(s) to be updated to exploit any vulnerabilities that make the jailbreak possible... then you update the iOS and use the jailbreak tool to re-jailbreak... and if you do it right... you can restore things from your previously jailbroken state and pick up where you left off... all of that is why I gave up jailbreaking...

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Since you're coming from Android maybe you've used Google Play Music. I don't yet have an iOS device to test this but [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmusic-a-native-google-music/id472342018?at=10l3Vy]gMusic[/URL] might be a good solution. I don't know if it supports pinning music like the native Android app does but this might be your only suitable alternative. It looks clunky now but will supposedly be updated to the iOS 7 style. Whether or not Google will release an official app has yet to be seen, in spite of their promises.

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Jailbreaking does NOT break your warranty. Apple doesn?t like it and won?t support it, but it is most definitely not illegal, nor does it void your warranty. However there is no JB yet for iOS 7...

Thanks man!!

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Jail breaking would be a good option for you. It's easy and really opens the phone up. Unfortunately there is no jailbreak available as I wouldn't count on it coming anytime soon although we can hope. The iOS 6 jailbreak took a long time to come out. I too share your same feelings about music and am not a fan of iTunes. I didn't consider coming over to iOS until they did OTA updates so I could avoid iTunes. There are other options like Dropbox and even google play although they have yet to release an official app but they are supposed to. Those solutions involve streaming though so data plan restrictions and signal could be an issue for you. While I'm sure you would find plenty of things to enjoy that would come with your switch, you are better off remaining with Android to fulfill your needs.

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Once upon a time, I did jailbreak... will fill in what I can... as far as iOS updates go - if you jailbreak, yeah - it becomes a manual process to update... first, you'd have to wait for the jailbreak tool(s) to be updated to exploit any vulnerabilities that make the jailbreak possible... then you update the iOS and use the jailbreak tool to re-jailbreak... and if you do it right... you can restore things from your previously jailbroken state and pick up where you left off... all of that is why I gave up jailbreaking...

Sound like why i don't want to jailbreak... Just need it to work... But music is most important to me after phones calls and text.. And I'm not home with a computer much so itunes isn't an option.. I have an 80GB ipod given to me.. Don't use because im not home to update it with my new music.. So.. It's not like i haven't tried itunes before...

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Jail breaking would be a good option for you. It's easy and really opens the phone up. Unfortunately there is no jailbreak available as I wouldn't count on it coming anytime soon although we can hope. The iOS 6 jailbreak took a long time to come out. I too share your same feelings about music and am not a fan of iTunes. I didn't consider coming over to iOS until they did OTA updates so I could avoid iTunes. There are other options like Dropbox and even google play although they have yet to release an official app but they are supposed to. Those solutions involve streaming though so data plan restrictions and signal could be an issue for you. While I'm sure you would find plenty of things to enjoy that would come with your switch, you are better off remaining with Android to fulfill your needs.

I love an honest unbiased opinion... I'm thinking the same.. I just like how apple integrated some android wp features.. But made it their own.. And its looking like an OS I'd enjoy... But i may need to wait a while to figure this thing out... I was hoping to have a solution to cancel my note3 pre order and shock the he out my friends when they get a text from my new iPhone.. And it will be a major shock if you knew how Much i am all android... Its time for a change.... I may look into some desktop remote apps on ios... Thats another option... Download load and move files to iTunes remotely... From my phone.. Just another thought... Then once its in iTunes i should be able to pin it to my device right?

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Since you're coming from Android maybe you've used Google Play Music. I don't yet have an iOS device to test this but [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmusic-a-native-google-music/id472342018?at=10l3Vy]gMusic[/URL] might be a good solution. I don't know if it supports pinning music like the native Android app does but this might be your only suitable alternative. It looks clunky now but will supposedly be updated to the iOS 7 style. Whether or not Google will release an official app has yet to be seen, in spite of their promises.

I loooooove google music... Yea they get my $7 a month gladly... As i stated on a previous reply if i find away to do this remotely from my phone to my pc... I mau have a solution..

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like you may be a candidate for iTunes Match. If you have iTunes Match ($25/year) and you can access your PC remotely (try LogMeIn, TeamViewer, Screens), then you can add music to your iTunes library remotely (any torrenting would probably need to be done on the PC). Once it's in the iTunes library if you have iTunes Match, it is then automatically available on any iOS device logged into the same iTunes account as on the PC. Then in the iOS device, in the Music app, you can see all of your music and download what you want to listen to at the moment.

So I've learned and thought about a couple work around... This may be one also

JOEY NEAT

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site

I came back to an Iphone 5S from Android. I have the app APP 4 Google Music which allows me access to allow my Google Play music in their cloud, though you can't pin the music as in Android.

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I came back to an Iphone 5S from Android. I have the app APP 4 Google Music which allows me access to allow my Google Play music in their cloud, though you can't pin the music as in Android.

Joel.. This transition makes me nervous... Honestly.. Idk what i feel like im going to miss.. But what's been your experience?

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Joel.. This transition makes me nervous... Honestly.. Idk what i feel like im going to miss.. But what's been your experience?

Besides the music issue, what are some of your other concerns?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox