Apple cancelled my 5S order :(

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Apple systems figured out that my US mailing address was a freight forwarding service so they decided to cancel my order. I just wanted the US model so badly as it supports the frequencies I needed unlike the one that will be released locally later this year :(

That's really not fair, those who really need the device don't get it, but others who get it to make profits online by selling it, get it :/

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

z00mER

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, but I made order to address of my friend. And the apple was canceled this order. I really don't know whats wrong.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple systems figured out that my US mailing address was a freight forwarding service so they decided to cancel my order. I just wanted the US model so badly as it supports the frequencies I needed unlike the one that will be released locally later this year :(

That's really not fair, those who really need the device don't get it, but others who get it to make profits online by selling it, get it :/

Nobody NEEDS this device...this is a luxury item, you could easily go buy a phone that functions in the same way anywhere without waiting. As far as what others do with their phone, what difference does that make on whether or not they deserved to have it? I bought a 5S with no intention of selling it, but in the end, that's what I wanted to do.

It's perfectly fair. It's just not CONVENIENT for you.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't know a lot about freight-forward, but it sounds like Apple shipping would only get it partway to you. They lose control of what happens after that. Apple is good at getting phones to their intended owners (with a few 'I-received-an-empty-box" exceptions) - yer even that is amazingly rare. And they make it right.

Part of that means not giving up control halfway through the ship. This makes sense to me- if you (as the buyer) can't sign it out of Apple's custody yourself, that's a big risk for them. it's inconvenient, yes - but imagine the chaos if their shipping process --on its massive new-launch scale-- were any less secure. If they delivered one buyer's phone to another person's address, that could make it crazy-easy to buy iThings with stolen ID.

I feel your pain - but that's about bummed-out-ness rather than unfair-ness.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
The trick is to get your ameri-friend to place the order. If your billing address is different than shipping, especially in a different country you will have a problem.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It is perfectly fair. You're shipping it to an address not tied to your billing address, and you're not in the same country as the device is registered to be used in. They noticed that and cancelled it which is their way of saying "buy it where you live."

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The trick is to get your ameri-friend to place the order. If your billing address is different than shipping, especially in a different country you will have a problem.
It is perfectly fair. You're shipping it to an address not tied to your billing address, and you're not in the same country as the device is registered to be used in. They noticed that and cancelled it which is their way of saying "buy it where you live."

Actually my bank doesn't care about the Billing address, and even If I enter a fake one they would still allow the money to be withdrawn. My bank instead tracks all the charges before they happen and they allow them of course if used on high reputation websites as Apple. Yes my bank is secure, my credit card was information was stolen online twice and my bank was able to stop it twice before any charges happen.

So yes, my shipping address that was entered on Apple was the same as the billing address that I also entered.

Nobody NEEDS this device...this is a luxury item, you could easily go buy a phone that functions in the same way anywhere without waiting. As far as what others do with their phone, what difference does that make on whether or not they deserved to have it? I bought a 5S with no intention of selling it, but in the end, that's what I wanted to do.

I actually do "NEED" this device, I know well the difference between "NEED" and "WANT". My current smartphone (was smart) can hardly do any calls, or text now. Something is wrong with it and since it is out of warranty I did not care about fixing it.

I never considered Apple products luxury. I only count those golden(real gold) products, and diamond luxury other than this it is just an "expensive" device. Maybe your luxury definition differs from mine. I am not sure why you are even trying to attack me like I insulted you, or even Apple. I just said Apple canceled my order, I was not that mad about it. I know you were going to sell your phone, and your case is different. I meant those who buy it just to sell it on eBay, please do not take everything personally.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Take a deep breath, please.

You posted this thread to vent or ask for input on your situation. We are giving it to you, and it's not what you want to hear, which is a shame, yes. It's inconvenient that you were unable to obtain a US version of the phone, but that's life and you're not going to die because of it. If you so desperately NEED a new phone, surely you can obtain one locally to you. You WANT the Apple phone, you don't NEED it. And yes, it IS a luxury good. No one NEEDS a cell phone, period, Apple or otherwise. It's not a necessity of life like food or water. Your definition of luxury clearly is much more extravagant than the actual definition: "the state of great comfort and extravagant living." Yes, diamonds, gold, etc, fall under that, but so do Apple devices and any other smart phone or likewise.

Your bank isn't the issue, Apple is. Apple made the decision as to where the shipping and billing addresses originate. And since you said you were using a freight forwarding address, that's not the same as your final destination, so they cancelled it, likely as a protection from fraud on their end.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Take a deep breath, please.

You posted this thread to vent or ask for input on your situation. We are giving it to you, and it's not what you want to hear, which is a shame, yes. It's inconvenient that you were unable to obtain a US version of the phone, but that's life and you're not going to die because of it. If you so desperately NEED a new phone, surely you can obtain one locally to you. You WANT the Apple phone, you don't NEED it. And yes, it IS a luxury good. No one NEEDS a cell phone, period, Apple or otherwise. It's not a necessity of life like food or water. Your definition of luxury clearly is much more extravagant than the actual definition: "the state of great comfort and extravagant living." Yes, diamonds, gold, etc, fall under that, but so do Apple devices and any other smart phone or likewise.

Your bank isn't the issue, Apple is. Apple made the decision as to where the shipping and billing addresses originate. And since you said you were using a freight forwarding address, that's not the same as your final destination, so they cancelled it, likely as a protection from fraud on their end.

I know my bank is not the issue, However no way Apple can know the final destination anyway, they just know that the device will be used somewhere else not in the US that's why they canceled the order. I understand their policy, and respect it. I was just sad I could not get what I wanted.

I did post here maybe someone experienced similar issues and was able to find another way to order the device, but I never expected I would start a flame war over the forums by posting this topic. That is why I apologize. Apparently It was a wrong decision placing this topic here.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have the same problem, but I made order to address of my friend. And the apple was canceled this order. I really don't know whats wrong.

You're doing it wrong. Send your friend the money. Have them buy the iPhone. Then your friend mails you the iPhone.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I know my bank is not the issue, However no way Apple can know the final destination anyway, they just know that the device will be used somewhere else not in the US that's why they canceled the order. I understand their policy, and respect it. I was just sad I could not get what I wanted.

I did post here maybe someone experienced similar issues and was able to find another way to order the device, but I never expected I would start a flame war over the forums by posting this topic. That is why I apologize. Apparently It was a wrong decision placing this topic here.

You can be sad without being dramatic.

Apple likely gets orders to go through those types of shipping companies and since they don't know the final destination, likely cancels them due to that. That's simply their policy, and yes, while it sucks for you, they're protecting themselves, if not others by having it. The only way you're likely going to get one through the US is through Ebay.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually my bank doesn't care about the Billing address, and even If I enter a fake one they would still allow the money to be withdrawn. My bank instead tracks all the charges before they happen and they allow them of course if used on high reputation websites as Apple. Yes my bank is secure, my credit card was information was stolen online twice and my bank was able to stop it twice before any charges happen.

So yes, my shipping address that was entered on Apple was the same as the billing address that I also entered.

I actually do "NEED" this device, I know well the difference between "NEED" and "WANT". My current smartphone (was smart) can hardly do any calls, or text now. Something is wrong with it and since it is out of warranty I did not care about fixing it.

I never considered Apple products luxury. I only count those golden(real gold) products, and diamond luxury other than this it is just an "expensive" device. Maybe your luxury definition differs from mine. I am not sure why you are even trying to attack me like I insulted you, or even Apple. I just said Apple canceled my order, I was not that mad about it. I know you were going to sell your phone, and your case is different. I meant those who buy it just to sell it on eBay, please do not take everything personally.

I didn't take anything personally, I was just pointing out a fact that an iPhone is not a necessity, it is a luxury...how so? Because there are plenty of phones on the market that are readily available and significantly cheaper than the iPhone that do the same things the iPhone does that a person could even remotely classify as "necessity".

I wasn't attacking you, I was simply saying that you were inconvenienced...it wasn't a matter of being fair of unfair, you were trying to get a phone shipped to you in a way that wasn't possible, and because of this, you have to wait. It's not like Apple is out to keep you from getting an iPhone, it's just not time for you to get it yet because it's not available to you yet.

If anyone needs to chill on taking things personally it's you my friend...I could care less either way to be honest.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Get a friend in the US or Canada to buy it for you and ship it.

Alternatively, buy it on eBay and take the hit in terms of paying a slight premium.

And no, you don't need a particular smartphone. You want it, and you'll have it soon enough no doubt, but you don't need it.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

You end up selling your 5s?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

The one being released in your locale later this year; are you getting it from your carrier? Or would you have obtained it another way? Because if it's coming from your carrier I'm sure they would have the proper model to support the proper frequencies.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes there will be a model coming to my carrier soon. The UK model. Probably in December. I currently live in Qatar which is not my home country. I an originally from Egypt. Although the UK model will also support the LTE in both Egypt and Qatar it won't support it in the US where I spend a part of my summer holiday every year, with exception that in the US I need the maximum battery life possible in any smartphone since me and my family go shopping all day long that's why I need LTE. Yes for the extra 2 hours battery. I don't really care about the LTE speed I already got fiber optics at home.

It is not like I am getting the US model because it's cheaper than the local model, well yes it's cheaper but I will add AppleCare + and by adding the shipping fees will become as expensive as here giving me no advantage except that I get to use LTE in the US.

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Just trying to be helpful here, but if it's battery life that you care about, check out the HTC One. A friend got it and the battery lasts a crazy long time. The Samsung Galaxy S4 looks to be the battery king, though. Check out this link for more:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Whic...vs-HTC-One-vs-iPhone-5-infographic_id45005#2-

Those Android phones are pretty huge of course, but the extra screen real estate and battery life make the trade off a little sweeter.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Open source and me don't mix. Would rather get a Nokia 3310 than an Android. It's either iOS for the app eco system, being a high quality product or BlackBerry 10 for the crazy security.

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I've never seen so many idiots in one thread!!!

FYI, having a mobile phone and be connected to the Internet is considered *a necessity* in the EU, or "a common right", and there are many laws already based on this assumption!

The guy's upset and is looking for an answer, or a way to get what he wants - what's so wrong?! That's what forums are for, after all!

I'm from eastern Europe and I have a similar problem. If I buy the phone here, it will be TWICE more expensive than from USA. And, as any American would do - I'm looking for a way to obtain it for less cash; I'm looking for the best deal. Is that wrong??

The whole topic about "security" is a total bull****! Every parcel is INSURED! In fact, I have much LESS security for my shipments while they travel to my USA mail-forwarding address (provided by Access USA, MyUS.com - #1 International Shipping, Mail and Package Forwarding Service - MyUS.com) than AFTER that - from USA to my country (by DHL)! I had two (2) SegWays this way, more than 20 laptops, about ONE TON of books and CDs - NEVER missing anything! In which century you live in?!

Apple doesn't care will you receive your package or not, you stupid! It's not their business! That's the job of the parcel companies and their insurers! Fact is - the iPad and the Mac Book Pro I've ordered (and paid the same way) are on their way, already! The only reason they cancel the iPhones is that this is their POLICY at the moment! And the guy (and me too) is upset because it is a STUPID policy, that's it!

I was in the same situation 10 years ago when I've ordered my Prius and after 2 months they returned me back the money. "It is out of our policy for this region" they said from Toyota Europe in Belgium. So I friend of mine ordered the can on my name *in Estonia* and when it was ready, I went there, paid it and drove 3400 km through half Europe - back home! It was the first hybrid car, imported in my country. And also in Estonia. But instead of being proud of this I still feel disappointed to this day!

We live in a global market and such restrictions and senseless policies are not only archaic but also stupid and upsetting. After all, we all are Apple's customers and we deserve to be treated with equal respect! And placing regional restrictions is not a respectful treatment of your clients. Or holding the highest prices IN THE WORLD in one of the poorest countries (mine) - just because they doesn't give a **** about this market!!

P.S. having an iPhone may be a luxury in USA but obviously not in the rest of the world! :p So please, be *more tolerant* and open minded if you don't want to see more comments like this!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods