iPhone 5S replacement a refurbished or new???

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought my sprint iPhone 5S 16gb "space grey" Friday at 8:10 AM @ sprint store. This phone is awesome. Sold the 5 to get this. Today as I was cleaning my phone I noticed under the lock button...top right corner the screen is popping out. Upon pressing the corner you can clearly notice screen is loose. Phone hasn't been dropped nor shows any signs of damages. I have already scheduled an appt at the Genius Bar this upcoming Friday at 9am. My question is will I receive a refurbished 5S or new??? Honestly I want a new one as I suppose it's too soon for apple to have refurbished ones. What you think? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt they will have any refurbs but if it is that important to you (I wouldn't want a refurb on something I just purchased) take it back to Sprint and make them exchange it for you with a new one.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt they will have any refurbs but if it is that important to you (I wouldn't want a refurb on something I just purchased) take it back to Sprint and make them exchange it for you with a new one.

Exactly I want a new one. Doubt it sprint will replace it as you know they rather use it for an upgrade or new activation. Before I hit up the sprint store I'll go to apple store first. They are literally within walking distance of each...across the street.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought my sprint iPhone 5S 16gb "space grey" Friday at 8:10 AM @ sprint store. This phone is awesome. Sold the 5 to get this. Today as I was cleaning my phone I noticed under the lock button...top right corner the screen is popping out. Upon pressing the corner you can clearly notice screen is loose. Phone hasn't been dropped nor shows any signs of damages. I have already scheduled an appt at the Genius Bar this upcoming Friday at 9am. My question is will I receive a refurbished 5S or new??? Honestly I want a new one as I suppose it's too soon for apple to have refurbished ones. What you think? Thank you.

Too soon for refurbs. I doubt they refurb them in stores - so if you think about them being shipped to a contractor for refurb, then the " too soo" makes sense.

With launch of the 5, they had brand new phones packaged for service replacement (not in the retail box) but they were brand new, just boxed differently. Genius confirmed way too soon for refurb.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok I figured it was too soon for refurbished which is good. So I can easily expect a new one...I don't mind if it isn't in the new retail box. I just want to make sure it is new.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple stores have typically always earmarked a portion of their shipments of new iphones for replacements., so even when supplies are plentiful as they should be within the next 2 months or so, you should still receive a new phone as a replacement. I have never received refurbs on any iphone I had the Apple store replace.

YMMV of course, but this has always been my experience.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Why not just go to a sprint store and exchange. Why waste a upgrade. If they don't want to exchange it then return it and go to a apple store and upgrade from them. Why Settle for less. When u have a right to exchange Defective items.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
This is the #1 reason I always wait a month or two before getting a new iPhone. The first few batches are pushed out so fast, there's bound to be a lot of issues such as these out there. Replacement will be new, yours will be turned into a refurb replacement for someone after its fixed.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
And also apple may not even have replacement iphone 5s yet. They will just take note and tell u to come back like in two weeks.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Why not just go to a sprint store and exchange. Why waste a upgrade. If they don't want to exchange it then return it and go to a apple store and upgrade from them. Why Settle for less. When u have a right to exchange Defective items.

How would I be wasting an upgrade? Regardless I used an upgrade to get the phone. Regardless if I got it from apple or sprint. I plan to go to apple first. People there have better customer service and actually know what they are doing. I stay away from sprint store at all cause.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Do u think they r going to have replacement now. So early. Last year it took me a month to get my replace bc I pass the 14 days. And no one know for sure if the replacement are even brand new.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I know they will. But sometime they don't even have yet. Last when the 5 came out. I had to get my replace and they didn't even have yet in stock.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Lol too soon for refurbs. Apple normally stock new replacements it just won't be original box but the white box. Don't worry too much.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol too soon for refurbs. Apple normally stock new replacements it just won't be original box but the white box. Don't worry too much.

Yeah I know. Not worried. Just want to avoid sprint at all cause cuz most likely they will tell me to go to apple store across the street or they won't have inventory. The only hassle is taking the time to get the phone swapped regardless I know I'm in good hands with apple. This is my 4th iPhone. Every time I've had any issues I always go to this same apple store with great results. I'm scheduled for this upcoming Friday at 9:10 am. Keep you posted.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Back when I got my 4S I had some network issues with it. It seemed Sprint didn't know what to do with it so I took it to Apple. He checked it out and couldn't determine the problem so he gave me a brand new phone. He told me they don't give refurbs but I don't know how true it was. The phone he gave me came out the box and plastic.

If I'm not mistaking a phone returned to Sprint within 30 days is replaced with a new unit. At least that was the case when I had Android and Blackberry.

Hope this helps...

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Back when I got my 4S I had some network issues with it. It seemed Sprint didn't know what to do with it so I took it to Apple. He checked it out and couldn't determine the problem so he gave me a brand new phone. He told me they don't give refurbs but I don't know how true it was. The phone he gave me came out the box and plastic.

If I'm not mistaking a phone returned to Sprint within 30 days is replaced with a new unit. At least that was the case when I had Android and Blackberry.

Hope this helps...

It's 14 days now not 30. I'm gonna try apple first. If they have inventory I believe I will get a new phone regardless if it's in a retail box or not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods