I work in an operating room and can easily unlock my new 5s while wearing a surgical rubber glove. I set up for my two thumbs to unlock the phone and I can still unlock the phone using those two thumbs while wearing rubber gloves. However, I am unable to unlock the phone using any of my other fingers while wearing a rubber glove. I think this is remarkable technology that is sensitive enough to still detect my thumb fingerprint accurately through the thin layer of rubber in the glove. Yet a German tech group is claiming they can hack into the phone and their video essentially has the person place a thin material (looks like a piece of rubber) over their finger and the phone unlocks. They claim that is a successful hack. I think the German video is ridiculous because if anyone other than the person whose fingerprints are scanned into the phone tried to unlock it with that thin material on their finger then it would likely not unlock. Apple's fingerprint technology built into that sensor is top notch in my opinion.
    09-23-2013 09:17 PM
    I'm not sure I like the idea of being able to unlock my device even while wearing a rubber glove and, in my opinion, gives credence to the German tech group's claim.
    09-23-2013 09:35 PM
    In my profession it is an added convenience. No one else would be able to unlock it so I am happy.
    09-23-2013 09:38 PM
    In my profession it is an added convenience. No one else would be able to unlock it so I am happy.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I can clearly see how it would serve you and anyone in your profession. I was thinking in general from a security standpoint rather than from one of convenience. Anyway, I appreciate you bringing the information about the rubber gloves to our attention. Thank you.
    09-23-2013 09:49 PM
    Ewwww...

I hope that either- a) the iPhone is autoclaved and is sterile or b) the glove isn't dirty!
    09-23-2013 10:27 PM
    Next, try having some other people try unlocking it with a glove on. I work in a trauma center and will give it a try tomorrow... personally, I'm disappointed that it'll work with a surgical glove on. I don't see how the ridges of the print can be detected through it...
    09-24-2013 01:23 AM
    Slightly unrelated. Today I was wearing rubber gloves. The thick type that you use to clean. Rubbermaid. I could not believe my screen was responsive to swipes and typing.
    09-24-2013 01:47 AM
    Just remember.. Never text and operate.
    09-24-2013 07:13 PM