Over 9 million new iPhone 5S and 5C sold in the first weekend...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Something that's interesting are the short supply rumors. You can't outsell last year if you have less phones. If the 5S is outselling the 5C by 3.5 times as one rumor claims, then that would put the numbers at 2 million 5C's and 7 million 5S's. Vs selling 5mil iphone 5's last year at opening weekend.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Something that's interesting are the short supply rumors. You can't outsell last year if you have less phones. If the 5S is outselling the 5C by 3.5 times as one rumor claims, then that would put the numbers at 2 million 5C's and 7 million 5S's. Vs selling 5mil iphone 5's last year at opening weekend.

Man, do you what the press' heads to explode? :)

You raise an excellent point vis-a-vis the "Apple was not prepared" meme.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I am just slow, so help me figure this one out.

They didnt have any preorders
Most stores did not have long lines in the am
I talked to many that were able to buy phones in ATT stores Friday afternoon and Saturday.
The store that I purchased from, told me they only got 100 units

So the big question, how many of those 9 million were here in the US?

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

I talked to many that were able to buy phones in ATT stores Friday afternoon and Saturday.

I would say most of them in China, and Hong Kong I think they had much more gold units too compared to the US, Europe and Australia.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Dude...That's way too much information.... Not even the calculator on my new 5s can keep up with that much math... Some have suggested that some of the shortages (especially concerning the gold model) were somewhat deliberate just to stimulate the interest.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I would say most of them in China, and Hong Kong I think they had much more gold units too compared to the US, Europe and Australia.

The color gold is a really, really big deal in the far east. I'm sure they paid Apple a premium price to Bogart all those phones...

idrazz856

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I think non iPhone users see the phone as being "the same" so they are always astounded when millions of units are sold every time. They can't understand that each model is constantly being updated internally whether the outside changes or not so the Apple faithful will continue to buy the latest iPhone regardless. There was not a doubt in my mind that Apple would exceed 5-6 million sales this past weekend. Unfortunately, I will have to wait a few more weeks for my upgrade but hopefully I will be able to get my hands on the gold one by then!

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
So much for another routine, blah "S" release...

[h=1]Apple sells record 9 million iPhones on opening weekend | iMore[/h]

This is no surprise...just makes me wonder how many 5c they will sell...no offense buy the term "budget" iPhone was a joke...I was expecting or should I rather say hoping for something priced like a lumia 520 but not a dollar more than a lumia 620...though I had expected that the pricing between the 5S and 5C would be similar to that of the Samsung galaxy s4 compared to the Samsung galaxy s4 mini.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Good question but lousy sample size to support your question. How many stores did you go around asking? Tens? Hundreds? Thousands? Millions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
78% of new iPhones sold globally are iPhone 5s models | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

For all of the publicity that swirled around the less expensive and more colorful iPhone 5c, the reality is that the new iPhone 5s is the top dog in worldwide sales. That's the report from Localytics, a firm that analyzes mobile stats. In the data analysis that started Friday and ended yesterday, Localytics saw that despite some expectation that the iPhone 5c would fit perfectly with Chinese consumers, the fact is that 91 percent of iPhone sales there were for the more expensive iPhone 5s. Numbers were pretty similar around the world, with the UK having the lowest ratio of iPhone 5s to iPhone 5c sales, with "only" 69 percent of new iPhone sales being for the 5s. Here in the US, 76 percent of new iPhone sales were for the 5s.

One possible explanation is the sale of the gold-colored iPhone 5s. The gold color has been a terrific seller in China and the rest of Asia, while black or white phones are less popular.
Globally, the iPhone 5s accounted for 78 percent of new iPhones purchased. The US has the highest concentration of new iPhone sales, with 68 percent of iPhone 5s and 5c devices. Japan is next with 13 percent.

Sales of both new iPhones were robust, to say the least, with Apple selling 9 million over the weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2