Tomorrow, I will no longer have a gold iPhone...

MooseMonkey

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I landed a space grey on Saturday (64GB the Sprint rep held for me while I drove frantically across Metro Atlanta in a storm). Love it. I picked up one of the new Apple-branded leather cases yesterday in black. It's quite nice, very snug, and the chamfered edges show as a thin, shiny, pewter ring around the edge of the phone. Sharp stuff, won't consider the lighter colors.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I love gold!

Sent from my HTC One using iMore Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Sean, your post "saved" me.
I been going back and forth on Gold vs Grey for a week now.
I found an Apple store that has both in store and with the new pick up at store option that Apple added to day, I had the Gold on in cart, all info filled and ready to hit PLACE ORDER. Right before pushing I thought to myself I better check out iMore forum and see peoples reactions on different colors and the first thing I saw was your post.
4 clicks later, I am now a proud owner of SpaceGrey 64gb that is waiting for me overnight at Apple Store, which I had to sweet talk the wife to go get it for me tomorrow morning .
So thank you for this post and saving me from getting a Gold that I know I would like but not as much as Space Grey !

:)

cgr1971

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I would have sold that thing, too. I don't understand why anyone should keep it seeing as the profit you can make off one of these at the current time. They'll always be available in the future to own anyway. Thankfully people like us have patience. I bought and flipped a Gold iPhone between Saturday and today. It was worth my effort and I'll probably do it again.

One thing: I wouldn't dislike the gold iPhone so much had it been with a black face and back. To me, personally, I think it would have looked nicer against black. I have to admit that I didn't see it in person until I took it out of the box when I eventually had to show my customer the phone since I wanted the guy to see that I hadn't even opened the package yet.

I agree about the black with the gold looking better. I still wouldn't buy gold, I can't stand the looks of it, but Apple would have sold a million of them here in western PA if they had a black and gold one though. They could have just set up a mobile sales booth and brought a couple tractor trailer loads to the next Steelers game. I am sure someone around western pa will tear a couple of them apart and make a black and gold custom one.

I would have done the same thing flipping it for a profit.

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I landed a space grey on Saturday (64GB the Sprint rep held for me while I drove frantically across Metro Atlanta in a storm). Love it. I picked up one of the new Apple-branded leather cases yesterday in black. It's quite nice, very snug, and the chamfered edges show as a thin, shiny, pewter ring around the edge of the phone. Sharp stuff, won't consider the lighter colors.

Anyway to post pics of the black/black?

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I got lucky last Friday...I happened to find one of the only Best Buy's in Georgia that actually got gold iPhone's, and I just happened to have a friend that worked there that could take one of the three 32GB models they got (the rest were 16GB apparently), and I walked in, paid for it and walked out in less than 30min. It was so easy, and I had people gawking at the phone while I was checking out.

This thing is really, really nice looking too...you've all seen it, and I personally think it was the SECOND nicest offering this year. Why second? Because my wife got the space grey model, and after looking at it all weekend, THAT is my favorite of the 3 this year. Something about the black on gunmetal contrast, the clean look of the fully black front glass panel. It just does it for me. I have no regrets on the gold, it's very nice looking, but I don't love it enough to keep it when people are spending so much to have them.

One of my friend's co-workers wanted a gold 32GB badly, as he was getting it for his wife for her birthday...we made a deal and I made a handsome profit, and I can go buy the space grey one, the case and the dock and still have some cash left over for some Braves post season tickets! Bragging? Maybe a little, but who am I to tell a desperate person no? LOL!

At any rate, I didn't love the gold chassis enough to say no to money, so my time with it was short. Space Grey here I come! :beer:

TL;DR - Sold gold iPhone this morning, going to go on a shopping spree at Apple again and get a space grey one and some other swag!

Yeah...nothing beats gun mental black and especially piano black on an iPhone :)

Last edited:

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have had all black iPhones up until this point. 4, 4s, 5.... This time I went with white/silver. The deal breaker for me was taking my 5 out of the Otterbox case a few weeks back and noticing a chip on the top edge of the phone. I have NEVER carried this phone without a case and it STILL got a chip in it. Not to mention it stands out like a sore thumb!!

I hope that isn't the issue this generation but I didn't want to risk it.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I thought the same thing about my black/slate iPhone 5 until it scratched easier than the other colors and ultimately looked like junk. I really hope Apple got it right with this black...

With that said, my gold 32gb is set to come Wednesday and I'm definitely going to check craigslist/ebay to see what they are going for before deciding if I'm going to keep it for myself.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Care to spill how much your profit was on the gold 5s? Curious, ebay prices are insane right now.

Space grey FTW.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I bought a 32 gig in gold for $749+tax and ended up selling it for $1,250. I'm sure I could have sold it for more but this buyer was willing to give me that then and there so I said screw it. I'm making more efforts now to find more to sell them again.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Care to spill how much your profit was on the gold 5s? Curious, ebay prices are insane right now.

Space grey FTW.

This was a friend of a friend...I didn't go all mafia rate on them, they paid me $950 for it, so a nice $200 profit. I'm probably going to go this Saturday to pick up another one, I drove by the mall this morning and asked an Apple guy who was outside if he knew if they had any AT&T models and he said only 16GB and 64GB ones, so I kept driving, I'm not in any real hurry.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I ordered 2 gold ones at midnight last friday, will be shipping today. My wife wanted a gold one for sure, and I usually alternate black/white every other year. I had black last year so I figured white, and liked the look of the gold. Seeing the prices for the gold skyrocket on ebay friday made me re-consider. So I went to Verizon purchased a Space Gray and am selling my Gold on ebay.

maryjane2300

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Some guy locally on craigslist posted a 16gb AT&T gold version for $1250. He again posted it today lol. Too much for a 16gb IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone5s was a potluck phone. I told my corporate AT&T rep that I needed a phone on launch day for testing. I told him I wanted the phone to be 32gb and the color order was Gold, Space Gray, then Silver. I really wanted the gold one because it was different. The one I got was the Space Gray version and I love it. I have had white phones for so long that it is a really nice change of pace.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i'll stick with my upgrade and the Space Gray 32 GB and since I sold my 4S 16 GB to my neighbor for $400.00 who just had to have it ( He has an old 4) It gets me my phone and Applecare+. I already have the same case I use now but for 5S brand new and a Zagg Kiosk right outside the Apple Store I am going to so I am set. When I get mine, the neighbor gets his.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2