How come OpenGL ES 3.0 is a hardware feature for the iPhone 5s but a software one for Android 4.3?

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello tech people and happy Apple users,

I've got a question. I've noticed that OpenGL ES 3.0 is advertized as a hardware feature exclusive to iPhone 5s and unable to run at earlier models. (correct me if I'm wrong). Just some time ago Google released Android Jelly Bean 4.3 which contains the same standard but advertized as a software feature that would work on any current hardware that upgrades to 4.3. Now I'm not a very tech savvy person and I'm not even entirely sure what this OpenGL means (a standard for graphics I think) but if one company says that it's hardware and the other says that it's software...there is something weird going on here. Could anybody explain all this to me?

P.S. Looking forward to becoming an iPhone user this December.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

I've got a question. I've noticed that OpenGL ES 3.0 is advertized as a hardware feature exclusive to iPhone 5s and unable to run at earlier models. (correct me if I'm wrong). Just some time ago Google released Android Jelly Bean 4.3 which contains the same standard but advertized as a software feature that would work on any current hardware that upgrades to 4.3. Now I'm not a very tech savvy person and I'm not even entirely sure what this OpenGL means (a standard for graphics I think) but if one company says that it's hardware and the other says that it's software...there is something weird going on here. Could anybody explain all this to me?

From my understanding openGles is a program that is used to run games in a certain code.
There are different versions OpenGL 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.
The previous version iPhone has the earlier version but with iPhone 5S it has the latest which aids in better graphical performances and speed.
Answer your question?

acimars

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

OpenGL ES 3.0 is software feature but need Hardware Support

Only PowerVR Rogue on Iphone 5S that fully support OpenGL ES 3.0
Previous iDevice use PowerVR SGX 5 Series that dont fully support OpenGL ES3.0

As comparison on android, Adreno 320 n 330 already fully support OpenGL ES 3.0

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I

It's hardware but Android processors (S4 pro and up) already had Open GL3.0 support.