Premium for Canada?

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyone extremely annoyed by this? 749$ for a 32gb one in the states and 819$ here in Canada. After taxes that's 811.92 total in the states and 917.28 here... Convert that to CAD and you're looking at a 81.57$ extra charge. I'm tempted to drive down to the states and get one unlocked and contract free from an Apple store there...

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
no i bought mine on att at cost 32 space grey after everything apple care and other stuff was at the cost of a laptop pay premium price for premium device sides most top line smartphones are 650 up anyway at least on att the gs4 16gb when it was released was 649.00 at cost whats with everyone acting like apple charges to much

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
@kch50428 That is true... but when are people completely honest towards the customs people haha.
@nokia4life Yes, but I would need to pay 80$ more than what you did pay... which would be like getting quite a few accessories.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
We have CRTC's new ruling about contracts cannot exceed 24 months. So to accommodate that our providers (the big three) made it manditory to be able to buy an iphone you need to have a plan > $60.00 and rumours suggest the higher price point from apple was also pushed by the big three. The gap/difference between US and CDN pricing this year has been the largest so far.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Take it as a tax for free health care. I'll trade you if you want, I will pay $80 more for the phone every year and you can pay a few hundred for insurance every month. :)

Sent from my iPad

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Remember to factor in gas costs to your cross-border calculations.

I always remind myself to add forty bucks in gas to my calculations re savings in Buffalo...

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I live about 30 mins away from the border, not to mention I'll just fuel up in the states AND SAVE another 40$ on gas prices. Canada mannnnnn...

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Our "big 3" have for sure made it difficult for us to upgrade phones. Initially they would cut you a break here and there and you could upgrade. Just 3-4 years ago we only had 2 year contracts, somehow they made it 3 years to squeeze more money out of us and now they claim since the contracts have to be 2 years they need to collect more revenue to offset the device subsidy.

e.g

Last year i bought out my subsidy + discounts and i paid $673.48 w taxes

This year if i were to buy out my subsidy and upgrade i would be paying: $855.69 w taxes

But wait, the new rule of having the voice and data component of the plan must be > $60 make the cost even higher. If i switch to a plan that is similar to my current plan then i would be paying $30.48 per month more ($365.71 yearly).

So in essence this year's phone upgrade's cost is: $1221.4 w taxes

Buying unlocked from apple is: $1038.47 a savings of $182.93

So driving 30 mins to go to states does make sense for folks who live cross border, hell if someone was willing to purchase one for me id pay them little extra for gas as well.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
This does seem off. With the original $749 US, per Yahoo Finance today, that's $770.6012 CAD. Which is a $48.3988 CAD delta from $819 CAD. Not sure I understand that one?

Specifically, does it cost more to ship into or within Canada? Or are there additional tariffs that Apple pays to sell iPhones in Canada?

Last edited:

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Could be worse.
People in Australia & New Zealand pay quite a bit more than we do in Canada.

In the Australian Apple store, the 32gb is $999.00 AU dollars.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
This does seem off. With the original $749 US, per Yahoo Finance today, that's $770.6012 CAD. Which is a $48.3988 CAD delta from $819 CAD. Not sure I understand that one?

Specifically, does it cost more to ship into or within Canada? Or are there additional tariffs that Apple pays to sell iPhones in Canada?

It's by design probably insisted by the big 3. If apple kept their price from last year this would make things difficult for the big 3. Not only are they laughing with the higher price on the phone but they are also laughing because they are making everyone switch to a higher profitable plan(s). Initially my plan of $60.00 gives them anywhere from $17-$32 for subsidy recovery, which translates to $612-$1152 over 3 years; but now a plan that is priced higher the subsidy recovery is $17-$32 + 27 which translates to $1056-$1416 over 2 years.

If you buy your own telephone then rogers gives you a break for 10% or $20 a month on plans (I think), which means they are STILL eating the subsidy recovery on the plan @ $24-$39 / month.

So when you calculate and punch in all the figures, this new crtc 2 year commitment is only good for the big 3 to suck more money out of us.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Our "big 3" have for sure made it difficult for us to upgrade phones. Initially they would cut you a break here and there and you could upgrade. Just 3-4 years ago we only had 2 year contracts, somehow they made it 3 years to squeeze more money out of us and now they claim since the contracts have to be 2 years they need to collect more revenue to offset the device subsidy.

e.g

Last year i bought out my subsidy + discounts and i paid $673.48 w taxes

This year if i were to buy out my subsidy and upgrade i would be paying: $855.69 w taxes

But wait, the new rule of having the voice and data component of the plan must be > $60 make the cost even higher. If i switch to a plan that is similar to my current plan then i would be paying $30.48 per month more ($365.71 yearly).

So in essence this year's phone upgrade's cost is: $1221.4 w taxes

Buying unlocked from apple is: $1038.47 a savings of $182.93

So driving 30 mins to go to states does make sense for folks who live cross border, hell if someone was willing to purchase one for me id pay them little extra for gas as well.

That's crazy! By trend of three years, you'd have a relic! iPhone is nap out the only device that will last that long and continue to receive updates. Sorry guys- that stinks.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It's by design probably insisted by the big 3. If apple kept their price from last year this would make things difficult for the big 3. Not only are they laughing with the higher price on the phone but they are also laughing because they are making everyone switch to a higher profitable plan(s). Initially my plan of $60.00 gives them anywhere from $17-$32 for subsidy recovery, which translates to $612-$1152 over 3 years; but now a plan that is priced higher the subsidy recovery is $17-$32 + 27 which translates to $1056-$1416 over 2 years.

If you buy your own telephone then rogers gives you a break for 10% or $20 a month on plans (I think), which means they are STILL eating the subsidy recovery on the plan @ $24-$39 / month.

So when you calculate and punch in all the figures, this new crtc 2 year commitment is only good for the big 3 to suck more money out of us.

$749 is unsubsidized price for 32GBi (in US) . At 749+ CAD, What's to recover? They cut you no break ( no subsidy), there's nothing for them to recover. Now I really don't get it!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW